Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

Goerends, ATS, or DTT?

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2006, 07:27 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Goerends, ATS, or DTT?

Well my tranny is slipping again. It sstarted last night when i slowed down going through a town. I dropped down to 40 and it seemed to downshift but when I gave it some pedal the engine revved and it took the tranny a few seconds to catch up. Does this sound like a torque converter problem?

So whats the word on Goerends, ATS, and DTT? I'm leaning towards Goerends.
Old 11-03-2006, 07:44 AM

I am looking at a Goerends also. not sure about your trans problem though.
Old 11-03-2006, 08:13 AM
Banned

I would definitely say that DTT, Suncoast and Goerend are much better than ATS. I will have to say that I have put my DTT through absolute he!! with not the first problem - single disc original converter and all. I'd say if you're wanting some of the those bullet proof stuff on the market - DTT and Suncoast would be the two you need to look at. Just know exactly what you're wanting to do and you'll be just fine.
Old 11-03-2006, 08:52 AM

Htstransmissions.com
Old 11-03-2006, 09:07 AM

Goerend! They won't sell you a bunch of stuff you don't need like alot of other companies.
Old 11-03-2006, 09:21 AM

I went DTT only because they are in Canada so no cross boarder customs to fool with. Their tranny working great but like the other fellows said any one of the top three will do you good. Probably comes to the price and what you do with the truck. Whever one you get you will be pleased.....
Old 11-03-2006, 09:21 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by redstreak
I would definitely say that DTT, Suncoast and Goerend are much better than ATS.
I have to give my 2 cents here--

1st Penny - I think Dave Georend is TOPS, I run a lot of his stuff, and utilize it for other people. EVERYBODY has been thrilled with Daves stuff. His customer service is TOP Notch and his warranty is the BEST.

2nd Penny - A lot of people bash the ATS tranny, I think unfairly. I pulled one apart for a freind, he had 80,000 miles on this tranny and the truck was at 480 RWHP or ABOVE for the transmissions whole life. At the 80,000 mile mark I could have put it back together using ALL of the clutches and steels, they were still that good!!

Any of them will make you happy, so I say find the closest "builder" and enjoy the new transmission.
Old 11-03-2006, 09:33 AM
Banned

I would suggest calling all of them and just talk to them. See what they have to say and see how comfortable you are with them when you hang up. Some people will give you the sales gimmic and try to get you to buy the top notch of everything, where others will simply talk to you and help you figure out what you need and what you don't need.

Just before you call sit down and write you all the questions or worries you might have, that way when you call you can go through the whole list with them and see if they can answer them for you.

~Nick
Old 11-03-2006, 09:53 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I talked on the phone with Dave Goerend when I needed a converter. We were both going on holidays that week and I needed the truck quick. He couldn't supply a converter on such short notice but told me to get ahold of DTT. Got to hand it to the guy for recommending one of his competitors. I'm sure you'd be happy with either Dave G. or DTT.
Old 11-03-2006, 09:54 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Mcmopar
I have to give my 2 cents here--

A lot of people bash the ATS tranny, I think unfairly. I pulled one apart for a freind, he had 80,000 miles on this tranny and the truck was at 480 RWHP or ABOVE for the transmissions whole life. At the 80,000 mile mark I could have put it back together using ALL of the clutches and steels, they were still that good!!

Any of them will make you happy, so I say find the closest "builder" and enjoy the new transmission.
Mcmopar raises a very valid point... pay special attention to the words in his post and you will realize that he mentioned to find the closest "builder", not the local transmission shop that has ATS, DTT, HTS, Suncoast, etc. parts available. I'm not saying that the locals aren't as good, but c'mon how many local shops do a $5000+ transmission day in and day out. I agree, I think ANY of the big guys will suit you just fine if you take it to them.

My transmission was installed directly by ATS in Denver, not one of their dealers who may do one every other month. I felt that if it was important enough to spend that kind of $$$ on a transmission it was best to let them do it all. They didn't upgrade my existing transmission (all the big guys swap if you take it to them) like a local shop would. And yes, it is purple underneath. A lot of the folks that I see slamming them did not have ATS do their installs and I suspect that is part of the problem. I now have about 45K miles on mine and in February this year started towing 22K on a daily basis. Still flawless.

I will also say that while I have only ridden in a few trucks with a DTT, I am impressed. They shift smoothly and hold the power that is being funneled through them. Unfortunately no one has done a boosted launch for me yet! The next time I get near Columbus I'm gonna track down Brandon and go for a ride!
Old 11-03-2006, 11:12 AM
Banned

I would definitely say that DTT, Suncoast and Goerend are much better than ATS.

Alright, explain something to me then... you prominently display the ATS logo on your website and I quote, "We offer a complete line of products so you can achieve the highest standard in diesel performance.", but post here stating that others are "much better"? That seems a little contradictory to me. If you don't believe that you are serving the best interests of your existing and prospective customer base with ATS products why do you so proudly make note that you are one of their dealers. If their product is inferior and you want nothing but the best for your customers why don't you pick up the phone and tell Clint and Ranee that you no longer wish to carry their products, remove them from your website, and hook up with one of the other transmission suppliers?
As a business owner and consumer myself I don't understand that one at all.

Please take note that it is not my intention to make this personal at all. I am simply trying to reason how you could post one thing, but support another.
Old 11-03-2006, 11:18 AM

Originally Posted by smokindog
I will also say that while I have only ridden in a few trucks with a DTT, I am impressed. They shift smoothly and hold the power that is being funneled through them. Unfortunately no one has done a boosted launch for me yet! The next time I get near Columbus I'm gonna track down Brandon and go for a ride!
Better bring a HANS device, or a neck brace. That launch is brutal...and I haven't even ridden in it since he added the Nitrous

Chris
Old 11-03-2006, 11:36 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by signature600
Better bring a HANS device, or a neck brace. That launch is brutal...and I haven't even ridden in it since he added the Nitrous

Chris
I still have my motocross helmet, think that will suffice until I garner up the $$$ for a HANS?

By the way Chris, I got my Vision 19.5's in yesterday. What a nightmare... I'll shoot you a PM.
Old 11-03-2006, 12:27 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by smokindog
Alright, explain something to me then... you prominently display the ATS logo on your website and I quote, "We offer a complete line of products so you can achieve the highest standard in diesel performance.", but post here stating that others are "much better"? That seems a little contradictory to me. If you don't believe that you are serving the best interests of your existing and prospective customer base with ATS products why do you so proudly make note that you are one of their dealers. If their product is inferior and you want nothing but the best for your customers why don't you pick up the phone and tell Clint and Ranee that you no longer wish to carry their products, remove them from your website, and hook up with one of the other transmission suppliers?
As a business owner and consumer myself I don't understand that one at all.

Please take note that it is not my intention to make this personal at all. I am simply trying to reason how you could post one thing, but support another.

Each company has their strengths - does DTT build an aftermarket manifold - no. Does Sun Coast build a really nice intake horn - no. So to respond to your attempt to undermine my credability - I do have the best interest of every single customer at heart and I do mean every single customer. Understand the beginning of my post - certain manufacturers excell greatly at certain products and that's not to say that they are a weak or inferior company by any means.
Old 11-03-2006, 12:45 PM

Each company has their strengths - does DTT build an aftermarket manifold - no. Does Sun Coast build a really nice intake horn - no. So to respond to your attempt to undermine my credability - I do have the best interest of every single customer at heart and I do mean every single customer. Understand the beginning of my post - certain manufacturers excell greatly at certain products and that's not to say that they are a weak or inferior company by any means.

Good answer! Thats what I tell them also.
I just don't understand the guy who wants your opinion and then buys some noname chineese product because it was $1 cheaper!

DTT!
When your spending $3500 or more why worry about a buck or two?
If so maybe this hobby isn't for you.

Quick Reply: Goerends, ATS, or DTT?