Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

Goerend trans built by Dave now questions

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2008, 04:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
So normal or not normal. I'm going to be pulling my 7000lb trailer this weekend for the first time with the new trans. If it pulls fine I will leave it as is UNLESS this is something I need to adjust As Fred states. From a stop it's perfectly normal with good firm shifts 1st to 2nd, 3rd lock 4th maybe sometimes but normally into 4th locked skipping the 4th shift. Dave was very specific and drove with me for about 20 miles to make sure I knew how this would shift, but again I'm running into this altitude thing that he knew hence the converter he chose. 15 blade cut torque multiplier for faster spool up pressure???. But the converter doesn't control the shift points. So it's all electrical, what about line pressure? My old trans would always shift into 2nd at this speed but would not build boost psi nearly as fast as the new trans. meaning my example is a corner I drive everyday the same way everyday speed etc. Before with my old trans 12-15 mph trans shift down to 2nd and accelerate to 30 and then shift, boost never more than ~6psi. Now with the new trans 12-15mph trans is in 3rd lugging the motor but quickly builds pressure up to 15psi and off I go with a cloud of smoke.

I'm more confused
Old 05-13-2008, 07:22 PM

Originally Posted by Fred Swanson
If you have a setup that will not downshift to 2nd between 12-18mph, then, that's not ideal. The gov pressure should be low enough, that when you apply light throttle, it will downshift. If you have to apply more than 1/3 throttle, that is not ideal.

Hence, a resistor isn't allowing you to adjust the voltage to the transducer. By adding an adj voltage regulator to the 5V reference at the PCM, you can adjust it slightly.
I can force a downshift but it takes almost a WOT peddle push and the same black cloud. So how does one adjust the voltage to the transducer "slightly" to allow a downshift at said speed?
Old 06-06-2008, 08:18 PM

Fixed!!!

Long post sorry.

A few calls to Dave (Goerend as if I need to mention) he said that is not normal at all. We (Dave spent some time on the phone) and found a local shop to see if they could duplicate the problem. At first they couldn't but they were trying to shift at higher speeds 3/2 not low speeds 5-20mph. Once I gave that info they agreed it will not make a slow speed 3/2 shift but will make a high speed 3/2 shift 30mph and up, they said it went from 3/1 at WOT slow speed.

So now I have conformation I'm not crazy

Dave called me back after hearing from the local shop. He wanted me to check the throttle cable mentioned on page one of this thread. I could immediately see there was no slop at the trans side. If I pulled the cable a mm it moved the trans end a mm.

Fast forward, Dave not wanting anything but a 100% satisfaction guarantee on his trans he sent out a new VB thinking the slow speed 3/2 shift was a sticky or weak spring in the slow speed 3/2 shift something in the VB. I set up an appt time to go back to the local shop 3 days later. On day 2 Darla from Goerend calls me and says UPS has damaged the box and wants the local shop to inspect before install. Apparently UPS somehow soaked the box with water and re-boxed the VB. Dave heard about this 4:30 that night and insisted that VB not be used. He had one of his employees drive to the local (1+ hour drive each way) UPS store to overnight a new VB.

The next day the local trans shop received 2 VB's and a spring pack. They replaced the original VB for the new and had the same symptoms, no slow speed 3/2 shift. Again a quick call to Dave and he was on the phone with the local shop walking them over "recalibrating" the VB as my local shop called it. I believe, as I haven't talked to Dave yet, this has to do with a stronger spring in the 3/2 shift something in the VB. I will be talking to Dave on Monday and ask what "exactly" he had done to the VB but I'll tell you this. It drives better now than before in all gears up and down. I have a perfect 3/2 shift slow and fast and it seems to not have as much lag off the line before building boost. It still smokes but it's summer and hot so I can deal with that.

My only concern witch isn't really a concern yet is it gets much hotter in normal driving. Moderate easy on the trans like I normally drive I get to 190* pretty quick. If at that temp at a stop light I can hit 210*+ idling. Once lockup in 3rd it's back down to ~180. Maybe a different fluid? This obviously didn't happen before.

I have a call into Dave and I hope he takes the weekend off and returns my call on Monday. I can not say how satisfied I am with his trans in my truck but the real deal is his customer service. Even my local shop was impressed on his willingness to work with a customer complaint. Out here, once you pay for it, it's your problem. That is not the way Dave works. He is absolutely 100% customer satisfaction and quality at no cost.

Speaking of no cost. Yes, Goerend has picked up all costs for this repair, 3 days in the shop finding alternate transportation is my expense (company vehicle), but his willingness to ship 2 VB's and then I get my original fixed has to say something for this man.

So if anyone wants a trans recommendation in the future I will for sure say Goerend all the way.
Old 06-06-2008, 08:49 PM

its good to here such good feedback about Dave and his customer service. Cause thats were im heading on monday so it will be nice to finally have a built tranny
Old 06-06-2008, 11:49 PM

Originally Posted by Russ Roth
If I'm not mistaken pretty much all of the VB's shift that way. Tony @ Dunrite told me he has had some guys complain about that and was trying to figure out a way around it. He said he liked it that way on his rig. That was about a year ago so I don't know if he came up with anything or not. I know he is always trying to make improvements.
Mine doesn't do it. It shifts like a dream up and down. I am using a transgo shift kit with the resistor. Shift timing is perfect on the up shifts and the down shifts with no black smoke. I think you need to call Dave.
Old 06-07-2008, 09:51 AM

don't worry about the temps, mine does the same thing, fluxuates a lot, dave said its no problem
Old 06-07-2008, 10:09 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by RowJ
Agree! I have always believed it's a Dodge electronics thing..... My tranny has never enjoyed down shifting to 2nd. Almost never does. At 12 mph or less it will drop directly into 1st every time.
Just wanted to correct above statement. The statement is true (about my 47RE) but....
FWIW, I replaced Governor Pressure Solinoid, due to tranny hanging up in second under heavy acceleration, and now it downshifts into second nicely... like nothing I ever recall. On advise, I also replaced transducer while in there. Between the two, my tranny shifts up & down beautifully.
Fred Swanson was right on!

RJ
Old 06-07-2008, 10:57 AM

(quote My only concern witch isn't really a concern yet is it gets much hotter in normal driving. Moderate easy on the trans like I normally drive I get to 190* pretty quick. If at that temp at a stop light I can hit 210*+ idling. Once lockup in 3rd it's back down to ~180. Maybe a different fluid? This obviously didn't happen before. end quote) mine did this all last summer it would go from 180 to 210 real quick if I was on the highway and got in traffic and stopped for more than a min or 2 it would get to 210 now with a double deep pan it hasn't gone over 190 yet and it took a long time to get there and cooled off real fast when I got moving.
Old 06-07-2008, 10:19 PM

Never any temp issues with mine, even with the stock pan. It runs cooler than my old POS stocker. Something I always do in stop and go traffic, is to drive into N, til things get moving again. The tighter convertor puts a lot more load (and heat) on everything stopped, than the stocker does.