Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

Goerend torque converter is in!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2005, 01:02 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking Goerend torque converter is in!!

Well, after laying under the truck in transmission fluid, and dirt for much longer than i want to again anytime soon, its in! First reaction while pulling it out of the shop, up the slight hill was that i could allready tell it was MUCH tighter than the old TC. Had a tire a little low, so i pumped it up, made sure there were no leaks, and after driving it all night tonight, all i can say is AWESOME!! My lockup switch hasnt been used for a full throttle run yet, but i can tell you right now, that it wont make enough difference to notice. This converter is TIGHT!! It takes quite a little while just to get the ol'e hx35/16cm to light up for me, but once it does, hold on! Im sure i could light the tires up pretty good, but im afraid to build enough boost to be able to do it. I can forsee me clouding out the road something horrible while taking off with a load up any kind of hill, but i feel like once it gets spooled, its gonna roll on Tranny temp's climb quite a bit quicker, but seem to level off around 150 or so. Transmission drops about 500rpm's between shifts, and only around 100rpm when the converter locks. VERY efficient. I love part throttle driving more than anything now. I can take off about half throttle, and let out of it quick, and the turbo will give me a nice bark. It might actually make a little more boost, but EGT's seem to set right around 1250 or so at the end of a fairly long WOT run. Overall, I am VERY happy with the tightness of the torque converter, and the way the truck runs with it. The only thing i dont like is that when i lock the converter in 4th, something is still slipping.... I dont know if it is the converter, or the clutches in the tranny....Any guesses? I may call dave, and see what he thinks. It will only do it when i lay into the throttle hard at low RPM's when the turbo starts spooling hard around 1600rpm's. I think it is the converter, but im not sure, and im not gonna try it again. I think im going to put a forced unlock position in my mystery switch so that if i add more power, i wont have to worry about burning up the TC clutch, and the fluid coupling on this converter is so tight, that i dont even benifit much at all from it locked. The only other thing is how slow my turbo spools from a stop. It smokes like CRAZY! Im thinking about puttin the 12cm back on because of this, but we will see. Overall im very pleased, and those complaints dont really bother me. I took my dad for a short ride in it, and he kinda didnt think it would make too much difference, and i took off WOT with the lockup switch OFF, and he said something about it shifted real solid, and good, and i told him the converter wasnt even locked, and he just looked at me in amazement He was smiling pretty good on the WOT run, so he was impressed too. Either way, there is NO way i would go back to the stock converter. If you guys have any questions just ask. Im thinking about pulling it tomorrow night at a pull not far from here so if i do i will report back with the results. Until then im all

Eric
Old 09-24-2005, 01:12 AM

Eric:
Good job. I am proud of you for doing this yourself. Its not an easy thing to tackle. Yep Daves TC puts the power to the ground. Dont know why you are experiencing slippage. My triple TC and trans has no slippage at all. I do have a modified VB though. Glad you got er done.

Dusty.
Old 09-24-2005, 07:28 AM

hey driver,,,,,are you getting a smooth slip in l/u 4th,,or a little shudder feel to it?does it do it right when you lock it up,or a few seconds later when going along?.......when going along in 4th locked,and you let off pedal,whats it feel like?engine braking slowing you down a little?..............i know how aggravating it can be trying to pin down tranny problems,see ya later.......bama
Old 09-24-2005, 09:13 AM
Chapter President

I just got my TC put in this week, I know the feeling!!!!
Old 09-24-2005, 11:05 AM

Dusty Rock: Thanks for the compliments. I love it so far

Bama: When it slips in 4th, from what i can tell, it is a smooth slip. When it did it, the converter was already locked up with my mystery switch at about 50mph, and i layed into the throttle, and it started pulling, then when the turbo started to spool fast it kind of had a smooth slip to it, and then it quit slipping after the turbo had spooled. When i let off the throttle i can feel it starting to slow down some. It is definatley holding back. I think if i took off from a stand still, and mashed it, it would be fine when it locked up in 4th, because it would be past the point of the turbo spooling, and this converter is so tight that it would only have to pull down the motor 100rpm's or so, but i hevent tried that yet i dont think. I just know it is much more fun to drive Yes, im sure you know way more than you ever wanted to about tranny problems. Dave told me this converter does have basically stock clutch lining though, and that it might slip a little. He said just try not to slip it. I think with a full built valve body it might not slip with the extra pressure, but dave seemed concerned it could break my clutch apply lever(i think) with that much pressure.

Thanks guys

Eric
Old 09-24-2005, 11:22 AM

Awesome! Glad to hear you like the TC. I'm about to go insane on what and who I want to do my tranny. I'm going to talk to Dave and Jeff Garmon with in the next week or so and try and decide what I'm going to do. It seems that Dave's single disk is working great for you. I just dont know if a single is going to do what I need to do as now I have decided to go up to 450hp and a triple disk will deffinently be needed. Who knows I may just stay below or right at 400hp........
Old 09-24-2005, 11:25 AM

This is one way i saw it... If i ever do decide to go crazy with power, and the single isnt liking it; i will send it back to dave, and pay the extra $600 for the triple disc with lifetime warranty.

Eric
Old 09-24-2005, 12:53 PM

Congrats on the new TC, Eric. It sounds to me like you may be slipping the TC a little. I know what you mean about swimming in a pool of ATF and laying on your back trying to horse things around uner the truck - I've done it 3 times too many! Have fun 'roddin around!
Old 09-24-2005, 05:35 PM

2nd on the Goerend

First post: just went up to St. Lucas last Sunday and had brother Dave
pop in a triple loc tc and his hd VB with a hardened 1/2 shift lever...
sprung for a MagTech dd pan too. Can't say enough about the man or
the drive!! Couldn't even run the Banks fueling box I installed in April,
cause it puked my tranny on day 2 of a 2 month trip, pulling about 12k
worth of fiver. 43 thousand miles and the 47RE went South! Now we
feel we can go South, North, East or West with no problems!!! Dave is
first rate.
Old 09-24-2005, 06:23 PM

which banks fueling box did you have on your truck when it puked the tranny?
Old 09-25-2005, 11:16 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Glad to hear you got it runnin Eric!

Ive worked with autos, not that peachy to work with....

Tx
Old 09-25-2005, 12:07 PM

Thanks guys. I have a question though. I guess where this converter is so much tighter than the old one, when i put it in drive or reverse, i get a pretty hard clunk. Is there anyway to keep it from engaging so harshly? I can live with it, but it does engage pretty hard. I might try lowering the idle some,b ut i hate it when they idle really low, and in Drive it seems to idle plenty low enough now anyway. Also, that single stack is looking better all the time, because this thing will cloud an intersection with this converter bieng so much tighter. Maybe the stack will get it up out of the traffic if i mash it from a light every now and then.

Eric
Old 09-25-2005, 01:07 PM

Eric:

You may have to put on your stock exhaust housing to control the smoke. Did you goof at all with the factory setting on the AFC ? If so you may also have to put it back where it was. In addition to the above you will have to control the smoke with your foot. I know, I can really smoke if I am not carefull. With my fueling mods just a little pedal and she gets a lot of juice.
Old 09-25-2005, 03:22 PM

Yes. AFC, plate, and Starwheel are all full forward. I think i will just put the 12cm housing back on, and leave all the fuel settings where they are. I can control it pretty well with my right foot, but man, if i hammer it from a stop . I think the 12cm is the only thing that is going to give me back the spoolup i need to be able to pull a trailer, and get took off with it fine. I just wonder if ti will hurt my EGT's much by putting the 12 back on? Before i did the timing, i could peg my gauge in about the same amount of time with either housing on, but now that i have done the timing it will basically stop climbing at about 1350*. I also didnt know before that my boost elbow was completley blocked off(had a allen screw through the bottom, where the boost is supposed to come in, blocking flow) when i had the 12cm gated housing on. I only realized it when i took it off because i didnt need it for the non gated 16 housing. Anyway. I was making about 40psi WOT with the 12 housing. Now i make about 32-34 WOT. Maybe if i put the 12 back on, and get it gated at about 32psi, where its flow capabilities run out, then i wont be pushing just hot air, and it wont hurt my EGT's, and spoolup will be much better. Sounds like a project for a weekend sometime soon. Then if i still have to much smoke, i can ajust the AFC, but i like it to smoke when i want it to, and i believe it will be controllable with the 12cm housing. Thanks guys!

Eric
Old 09-25-2005, 03:32 PM

Originally Posted by cumminsdriver635
Maybe the stack will get it up out of the traffic if i mash it from a light every now and then.
It won't get it up out of traffic. Speaking from experiance.

Lowering the idle will help some, just make sure it isn't low enough to stall the engine when you goose the throttle and then quickly let off.

The clunck could be the rear-end. May need to adjust the backlash to get rid of some of it.

Quick Reply: Goerend torque converter is in!!