Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

Getting ready for modding my 2002 HO 6 speed

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2010, 06:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Getting ready for modding my 2002 HO 6 speed

Ive done some reading and had a few phone calls, so

First fuel system upgrades and gauges. Check!

Getting ready for turbo and injectors On the fence!

Got my methanol injection kit pieced together, all my cars have meth injection

OK, so for injectors, swapping in some 125 HP nozzles is that good for fuel mileage and not too aggressive with HP? Not going crazy with large injectors,... Will it make the same power with nozzles vs entire injector?

Smarty is going on the truck, it should make an additional 125 hp right?

Turbo.. Single... hx 40 ???? ebay????

I will need a better clutch, will a puck clutch work fine? I dont plan to drag race the truck, nor do i plan to do 3rd gear launches with it. I just drive it and want SMOKE and power. It feels neutered stock right now.

Just asking questions if someone has done it before id like to hear from you, id get a con ofe clutch but dang those are expensive.
Old 11-04-2010, 10:03 PM

Whats the point of smoke again?
Old 11-04-2010, 11:48 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
what I did to my truck ..01 makes it a strong quick puller and gets great MPGs I dont drag race I tow heavy loads and I can set the CC at 60 and hold it at 7% grade and thats pulling a 16900 lbs trailer
Old 11-05-2010, 12:13 PM

Imo if your putting a smarty in the mix, buy a good clutch they are $ for a reason. when I had just 90 nozzles with smarty I could still slip my OFE. went to a FE when I put in mach 4's (150) and could slip the FE. now I'm happy with the double disk, so yes I have spent alot in clutch's (wish someone would have told me to save and buy one clutch the first time). with the smarty alone your HO will drive and respond night and day diff, injectors and smarty with a HO is a nice combo. my nozzles were okay. but the mach's I put in were cleaner, smoother and i did see better mpg if I kept my foot out of it. there are other injectors out there that are good also. you are on the right track with the gauges and fuel pump upgrade first. good luck
Old 11-13-2010, 06:18 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
I've been running a Smarty and Mach 4s for about 4 years now. It's a great streetable performance rig with the stock turbo.

The Con FE has performed admirably with this setup. It's a little grabby initially, but smooths out over time. It's great with 2nd gear starts.

I recently thought I got my FE to slip, but haven't been able to reproduce it.

I have upgraded fuel plumbing, but stock lift pump and filtration. Never run out of fuel with M4s. Saved a lot of $$ over most of the aftermarket setups by only fixing what's wrong with the stock parts.

Best part about the M4s is that the smoke is pretty easy to control with the 6 speed. I don't mind a little smoke, but I tolerate it, not seek it. If I could make it super clean and make 150hp more, I'd choose that instead.

For a fuel pressure guage, I used a cheap liquid-filled gauge from Jeg's for $25 or so. Works great, no senders to die. Fits perfectly in the tweeter spot on my pillar, so the other 3 guage spots are available.

If you upgrade your clutch, don't forget to beef up the pilot bearing in the flywheel. Factory unit is not up to massive torque, and when it gets loose, the shaft play will take out the front bearings in your trans.
I used the Torque King from Quad4x4-- http://quad4x4.com/

JH
Old 11-13-2010, 08:45 PM

Thumbs down

Hey thanks for the post, I think I am doomed on this pump.
Put this pump on from cummins and it was low on power, then backfiring thru intake,,,,,, sent it back and they said computer was bad on pump.

Broke it in for 500 miles put box back on and it's like it has timing but not fueling. I want my old vp 44 back it would fill a minivan full of smoke this one will not fill a beer can
Old 11-13-2010, 09:42 PM

Originally Posted by Tate
Whats the point of smoke again?
Really? Your going to waste time asking that?

Dirty air filter
Old 11-14-2010, 02:50 AM

Originally Posted by patriot pearl blue
Really? Your going to waste time asking that?

Dirty air filter
Yea, I am gonna waste time asking that. Whats the point of smoke? If you are trying purposefully get smoke, cut your intercooler boot and move on.
Old 11-14-2010, 03:14 AM

he was commenting not what caused the smoke. more than a dirty filter would do this. but in todays world. everyone trying to get power, cleaner, quicker, if your just dumping black smoke your doing nothing. not good for other people driving. not good for a image for those who have diesels and care to not do this to other drivers etc. but there are far more diesel "Nerds" on here that have been there done that and found the correct combo for these trucks to get power without smoke, cleaner burn, better egt's etc. learn from the ones that know what they know and what they tell you. otherwise IMO many people are just wasting money, not getting any more better MPG performance. so like was said just cut the intercooler line and be done. you still would get the bad spool and smoke and high EGT
Old 11-14-2010, 06:56 AM

I'm just fet up with this pump, it's brand new and been repaired once already with new computer board... Broke it in for 500 miles, put horse power box on it yesterday, truck only makes 26 psi of boost and zero smoke.
It's like this new pump is down 100 horse compared to stock pump.
The old pump would make tons of low end torque. Lots of black smoke at any rpm and used to make 38 psi.
Wonder if how this pump was set up at pump place that it's not setup like my stock pump was...
Arrrrg I'm frustrated
Old 11-15-2010, 09:28 AM

Originally Posted by patriot pearl blue
Hey thanks for the post, I think I am doomed on this pump.
Put this pump on from cummins and it was low on power, then backfiring thru intake,,,,,, sent it back and they said computer was bad on pump.

Broke it in for 500 miles put box back on and it's like it has timing but not fueling. I want my old vp 44 back it would fill a minivan full of smoke this one will not fill a beer can

Backfiring through intake seems to point to installation error. Timing is most likely off.

JMO
Old 11-15-2010, 10:55 AM

Originally Posted by HOHN
Backfiring through intake seems to point to installation error. Timing is most likely off.

JMO
Actually I'm a diesel mechanic and when I installed it. It worked fine for 24 miles then the vp44 card smoked. Pulled it off and had it fixed. Worked perfectly for 500 miles until yesterday morning. The card failed again and I have to pull it off again. Like I said I'm doomed with this pump from h3ll
It was running perfect once again zero codes and no issue till I got on the highway. This sucks. I'm thinking of mechanical p7100 if this one fails again
Old 11-15-2010, 02:57 PM

Might want to try a different rebuilder.

Not questioning your mechanical skills-- even tech here are the mother ship sometime make a mistake (and they work on the SAME engines all the time).

Had a rocker shaft installed backwards earlier this year. Valvetrain carnage was impressive.
Old 11-15-2010, 04:10 PM

Yeah it's just my luck too, I really don't think there could be anything on my end causing the vp44 card to fail. Last time I was driving down the road and the truck was running great then all of a sudden it started popping and farting out the intake and it all started when I set the cruise

This time it just failed, when I shifted to 5th gear getting on the highway..

I left work early and pulled it this evening, I asked for a different pump but was denied.... New apps and new inline pump...

1500.00 for a p7100. I'm thinking about converting it over