Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

Getting New Speaker Wire Into The Doors??

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2003, 11:02 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Getting New Speaker Wire Into The Doors??

I need to get new speaker wire through the doors and want to run this by the DTR group. I will use 16ga and will need (2) runs of it in each door because both front & rear doors will use components with the crossovers under the rear seat. I bought this 16ga wire-

Trouble is they sent me a different wire, still 16ga but twisted and then covered once again which makes it kinda fat and round verses more flat. Its this stuff-

My plans are to pull the new wire using the old speaker wire and am wondering if
A- Using the old speaker wire to pull the new is a bad idea and…
B- I should try and use the fatter stuff or get them to send me what I ordered- the more flat wire.

I understand the twisted is supposed to be better but if its a nightmare to install I won't care for it.

Thanks in advance for any ideas!
Old 09-28-2003, 03:30 PM

Re:Getting New Speaker Wire Into The Doors??

If you are using the old speaker wire to pull with, first pull a piece of electrician's fish chord or a piece of stiff wire through and then use that to pull through the speaker wire. The factory wire (I think 22 ga.) will snap if you pull anything with any resistance. I think when I did mine I actually fished a coat hanger through and used that to pull them. I didn't want to take out the factory wires in case I got rid of the truck and wanted to put the stock system back in.
Tim
Old 09-28-2003, 04:29 PM

[quote author=tlea link=board=7;threadid=20257;start=0#msg190264 date=1064781055]I didn't want to take out the factory wires in case I got rid of the truck and wanted to put the stock system back in.
Tim
[/quote]Good idea Tim, I have some safety wire I could use to pull the new wire, are your speakers components and if so where did you mount your crossovers?
Old 09-28-2003, 06:12 PM

Mine are not components, they are 6x9 Infinity Kappa's. I ran the 16 ga. monster speaker wire but I only needed 1 line. Not sure where to mount the components but I know some of the guys have them, maybe someone else will chime in here.
Tim
Old 09-28-2003, 09:55 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My crossovers are attached to the sheet metal of the door, up high and forward, where the plastic door panel has the bulge that sort of blends into the dash when it's closed. Plenty of room--the crossovers are only about an inch thick. My truck's a second-gen, though, and I haven't been into the door panels on the new body style, so I can't guarantee they're close enough for this to work.