Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

Gauges HELP !

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2004, 10:33 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Gauges HELP !

OK finnaly Im gonna get some gauges
My wife is getting me some for christmas a little wait but thats fine.
I got to tell her what I want and where to get them.
THATS WHERE YOU GUY COME IN
I want the gauges that go on the piller, they come with the whole plastic piece I figger
I got an upgraded sterio system so I had to dremel out my little speaker hole to get my kickers to fit ...so I guess Ill have to do that again.
Can I get a piller that matches my interior kind of dark gray or will I have to paint my new piller?
I figgered Id get a piller with 3 holes one for the speaker and two for gauges
I feal that a 4 hole piller would be too clustered
Now for the two gauges my options
boost
exh temp
trany temp
fuel press.
I dont haul much so I desided that the exh temp and trany temp were not nessasary
boost is a no brainer
about the fuel pres gauge Im thinking it would be kind of boring and just stay in one place all the time untill the lift pump desides to quit....am I right ??? or will the fuel pressure go up every time you give it a little throtle ??
If the fuel pres gauge acctually does move Ill get it if not Ill get the exh temp gauge even tho Im not fond of drillin my manafold. at least the neddle will move on the gauge.
now thats my options for the type of gauges a little help is needed to finnalize my desison.
I see a lot of good things from autometer but Im not sure what brand I should get?
and last but not least where can I get them from ??
Now while Im waiting for you guys to help Im gonna check out RODS PODS and see if I can school myself a little bit.
thanks in advance for any replies.
Old 08-30-2004, 11:25 AM

Location: Used to be missoula, montana: Now in Sonoma County California
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Pyro (exhaust temp) is the most important gauge even if you dont tow.

Boost gauge and a Fuel pressure gauge. It might be clutered but those three are vital IMPO on a 24V
Old 08-30-2004, 11:47 AM

I would get EGT and boost on the pillar. Once you get close to getting out of warranty I would get a fuel pressure. You want to keep that VP as happy as you can for as long as you can. I like the autometer procomp series. But whatever suits yer fancy. You will have to paint the pillar to make it match.
Old 08-30-2004, 12:14 PM

The gauge pillar will come black, which is very close to the dark grey of your stock pillar. I planned to paint mine, but after the install, I figured it looked too close to bother with the paint.

Save yourself the trouble and money and get the three gauge pillar right away. (Boost, EGT, and Fuel Pressure) I originally bought the two gauge pillar and just recently changed to the three pillar so I could add a fuel pressure gauge.

I like the Autometer Ultra Lite gauges, but they don't make a decent mechanical fuel pressure gauge, so if I had it to do over again, I would get all Isspro EV gauges. The Isspro gauges light up much better at night also IMO.

The fuel pressure gauge may seem boring, but it is very important. Worst case senario is that you are supplying poor fuel pressure to your VP, just enough to keep your rig running until the warranty is up, then you get stuck with a big bill $$.

Gauges are fun to watch, but their primary function is to monitor your engine. You need to know your EGT even if you don't tow much. You should monitor your shut down temp and you will learn alot about running the truck in the optimal "range" (speed, rpm, etc.) just by watching the EGT gauge.

Boost is probably the least important, but the most fun to watch. On a stock truck, you are mainly watching that you are getting the expected amount of boost and that you don't have any boost leaks.

Give Wildcat Diesel a call when you are ready to purchase.
Old 08-30-2004, 04:10 PM
Banned

Originally posted by amartinson
The gauge pillar will come black, which is very close to the dark grey of your stock pillar. I planned to paint mine, but after the install, I figured it looked too close to bother with the paint-------------COOL MAYBE I WONT HAVE TO PAINT MINE EITHER

Save yourself the trouble and money and get the three gauge pillar right away. (Boost, EGT, and Fuel Pressure) I originally bought the two gauge pillar and just recently changed to the three pillar so I could add a fuel pressure gauge. ------------IT WONT BE TOO CLUSTERED WITH 3 GAUGES AND A SPEAKER?
DO YOU HAVE TO REMOVE THE EXH. MANAFOLD TO DRILL IT OUT FOR THE EGT??

I like the Autometer Ultra Lite gauges, but they don't make a decent mechanical fuel pressure gauge, so if I had it to do over again, I would get all Isspro EV gauges. The Isspro gauges light up much better at night also IMO.-0----BRIGHT GAUGES ARE A PLUS I WANT TO BE ABLE TOO SEE THEM ,BUT IF THERE TOO BRIGHT I WONT BE ABLE TO SEE THE ROAD ARE THE ISSPROS TOO BRIGHT?

The fuel pressure gauge may seem boring, but it is very important. Worst case senario is that you are supplying poor fuel pressure to your VP, just enough to keep your rig running until the warranty is up, then you get stuck with a big bill $$. ---SO THE FUEL PRESURE GAUGE WONT MOVE OFF NORMAL UNTILL YOUR LIFT PUMP STARTS GOING SOUTH???

Gauges are fun to watch, but their primary function is to monitor your engine. You need to know your EGT even if you don't tow much. You should monitor your shut down temp and you will learn alot about running the truck in the optimal "range" (speed, rpm, etc.) just by watching the EGT gauge.---I TAKE IT THAT THE EXH. TEMP STARTS AT ZERO AND GETS TO A NORMAL TEMP ABOUT ??? AND WHEN IM READY TO SHUT ER' DOWN DO I REV. THE MOTOR OR IDLE??? TILL ITS AT THE DESIRED TEMP WHICH IS ??

Boost is probably the least important, but the most fun to watch. On a stock truck, you are mainly watching that you are getting the expected amount of boost and that you don't have any boost leaks. --I AGREE -- TOO MUCH FUN NOT TO HAVE.

Give Wildcat Diesel a call when you are ready to purchase. ----ILL CHECK THEM OUT
THANKS FOR HELPING ME amartinson AND OTHERS WERE GETTING CLOSER NOW KEEP EM' COMMING
Old 08-30-2004, 04:23 PM
Banned

issPRO GAUGES
KIND OF SCARY AT LEAST THE WHITE FACED ONES AND HAVING TO PURCHACE EXTRA COMPONETS TO GET THE BOOST TO WORK RIGHT
http://www.turbodieselregister.com/f...threadid=71982
Old 08-30-2004, 04:34 PM
Chapter President

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I've had both the Autometer Sport-Comps and now have the Isspro EV's. Both are good gauges IMHO.. I like the EV's due to the convex lense and the light in the needle.

The AM's had a problem with some fogging in the Pyro gauge (they fixed that reportedly) but other than that, great.

If you want an alternative, you could try the "Rods Pods" from Wildcat Diesel for up to 4 gauges on the dash. Just a thought..

J-eh
Old 08-30-2004, 04:41 PM

I've got the 3 guage pillar and the Rod Pod with 2 guages in it. Both work great so it just becomes personnal preference. All my guages are Isspro EV's

Boost, Pyro and Fuel pressure would be my only choice if 3 guages had to be picked.
Old 08-30-2004, 04:54 PM
Banned

Originally posted by Homestead
I've got the 3 guage pillar and the Rod Pod with 2 guages in it.
you have an empty spot.......or do you have to get the 3 gauge piller for 2 gauges and your speaker??? if thats true Ill have to get a 4 gauge piller to have 3 gauges and my speaker...... thats nuts the gauges will be running up over my head so do you ask for a 3 gauge piller if you only want two gauges and your speaker????

lildog
"If you want an alternative, you could try the "Rods Pods" from Wildcat Diesel for up to 4 gauges on the dash. Just a thought.."
I looked in to them and if I had a 5 speed Id concider it but Im not too crazy about cutting a big chunk out of my dash. the pillers is what I want thanks tho.
Im still looking for a place that all I have to do is tell them I want 3 gauges boost,pyro,fuelprees and a hole for the speaker looks like the isspro black faced so far still looking.
Old 08-30-2004, 05:29 PM

Try www.rpmoutlet.com
They have a 3 gauge pod w/speaker hole for the stock speaker(if thats the speaker you are talking about). I ordered mine from them, in the grey color, doesn't quite match, but it is close enough for me.
Old 08-30-2004, 06:03 PM

Mines 3 guages and provisions for the speaker. I'll pop off a pic in the next hour or so and get it posted.

Hope this works.

Old 08-30-2004, 09:24 PM
Banned

I upgraded all my speakers the door and tweater speakers are part of a componet system the little speaker on the piller is bigger than the stock speaker I had to dremel out the hole to get it to fit with the 3 gauge piller it looks like theirs not much room to exspand the hole for the speaker. do the 2 gauge pillers crowd the speaker??? or will it leave me room for cutting.?
I might just hold my breath on the lift pump and opt out of the fuel pressure gauge and just get the pyro,boost gauges
Old 08-30-2004, 09:27 PM

The two gauge mount is just like the three gauge only without the TOP gauge.
Old 08-30-2004, 09:30 PM

I wouldn't opt out on the fuel pressure guage.

Boost leak usually means a hose clamp or boot. Low or no fuel pressure eventually means stranded and a big $$$ bill. I can live without the boost guage if I had to.

Your call.
Old 08-30-2004, 09:36 PM
Banned

http://www.rpmoutlet.com/dodgestw.htm
great deal and eazy user interface but they dont offer the pillers with the speaker hole.? Ill have to call and see if they offer them.

Quick Reply: Gauges HELP !