Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

Gauge mounting question

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2002, 08:55 AM
KC

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Gauge mounting question

When I get my gauge's how hard are they to mount? How long can it take, I am ok Mechanic but no pro by a long shot or is it my my best interest to have a professional do it?<br><br>KC
Old 11-17-2002, 09:13 AM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Re:Gauge mounting question

I want to know where to buy the pillar mount for a 1995.???
KC, i just took a good look at my 3 gauge wiring and ALL the wires,including the trailer brake ,were a run through one of 2 grommets available under the master cylinder on the firewall. there were so many wires that the grommet does not fit in the hole anymore. (thats where all the engine noise is coming from!). I filled the hole with expanda foam and taped the grommet in place until the foam set up,kinda gluing there and sealing everything. much quieter inside cab now.
The gauges will come with wiring instructions and as long as you take your time and use the recommended size wires you should be fine. remember vibration,chaffing and heat issues. the guy who did mine(before I bought the truck) bought a BUNCH of that black plastic wire covering and ran the wires through it. I like to use a little shrink sleeving (radio shacks, Pepboys). at the wire connectors. I just dont like mine being on top of the dash and want to move them to the left pillar . who makes the pillar pods??

Remove both negative cables from the batteries because of the airbags. remove the large plastic knee knocker piece (4 screws)from under the steering coloumn and it will make things MUCH easier inside the cab.
Old 11-17-2002, 09:41 AM

Location: Drive till ya hit a Polar Bear, then go back 50 miles
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re:Gauge mounting question

Hey KC,<br><br>Gauges are a reasonably easy thing to do. Your average sunday mechanic should be able to handle it, no sweat ;D The toughest part is the pre-turbo thermocouple install. You'll need to drill and tap the exhaust manifold, which isn't a difficult thing to handle, but it does require some precision.<br><br>Rod