Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

Gauge Mounting Ideas?

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2007, 11:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Gauge Mounting Ideas?

Hello All,

I'm planning to get some gauges for my '02 and would really like to see some of the more creative things people are doing with gauges as well as the comercially available pods installed.

I'm looking at 2 (possibly 3) Pricol Optix.

I've thought about getting a used ash tray (don't want to destroy mine if this doesn't work) and modifying it to hold 2 gauges.

Please post your pics or ideas.

Thanks,

Noth_of_55
Old 11-06-2007, 07:55 AM

I am in the same boat as you with my '01, and I was going to post same question.
I was thinking dash mount in the middle front of dash, I've seen some pods for this.
The standard pillar mount do limit side visibility a little, that's why I was considering dash mount.
Old 11-06-2007, 08:47 PM

Edge comp on right side, radio with mp3 cd player, with a remote control
Attached Thumbnails Gauge Mounting Ideas?-img_1470.jpg  
Old 11-06-2007, 09:22 PM

i haven't bought any other gauge's because the pillar pod all lit up at knight would be to much.i don't want to chop up the dash either.
Old 11-06-2007, 09:36 PM

saab, thats a sweet setup. I took my two airvents out of the center of my dash and installed a CB in place, I blocked off the vents lower in the dash with some rubber from a large tire innertube and zip ties. I considered puttin guages there, but I opted to go with the a pillar mount. I have also seen guages in the cubby hole where saab has his cd player, and where he has his edge box, but cant remember who it was.

Also I noticed BD had a new steering column mount that was a digital pyro, boost and tranny temp guage.
Old 11-06-2007, 11:48 PM

That's different...

Hey Saab9k... that's a different approach.

What do you have your stereo mounted in? I'm assuming that is some sort of truck/equipment style stereo pod.

I'd prefer not to relocate my stereo (or give up my cup holders) but it's good to see the different things that you guys are doing.

I too am not interested in having 3 lit gauges at eye level... that's why I'm trying to avoid the pillar pods.

Thanks,

North_of_55
Old 11-06-2007, 11:55 PM

you could do what i did and wire them to a switch so you can turn them on/off. ive since rewired them so ther on with lights. you i got used to them
Attached Thumbnails Gauge Mounting Ideas?-005.jpg  
Old 11-07-2007, 07:52 AM

Here is my ashtry mount pod, I don't know if there would be room for a second gauge down there or not. I've got my tranny temp, EGT and transmission temp guages in a triple pillar pod and I don't even notice them at night anymore.

Old 11-07-2007, 09:58 PM

Hey CNeubauer... That's along the lines of what I want to do. Did you make that yourself or does someone market them? Nice job if you did it yourself!

I was thinking of hacking the ash tray up so that the first gauge is near the dash bezel... pretty much where the handle is. The second gauge would likely have to stick out a little to improve visibility and would have pod type of shape like yours but more couter-sunk... both gauges would be angled towards the driver.

I'm going to try and find an ash tray... I'll post pics if I get anywhere!

Thanks,

North_of_55
Old 11-08-2007, 07:35 AM

I did make mine. It started out as a double A pillar pod that was on my truck when I got it, I used a cut off wheel on an angle grinder to cut one pod out and shaped it to fit the ash tray contour with a bench grinder then used an epoxy glue to attach it. A little bondo to smooth the seam out and some paint from Geno's finished it off.