Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

Gauge Install Results

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2002, 05:23 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Gauge Install Results

Here's the deal, if you want to know. This might be good for newbies.<br>Got'em in there. Looks good. I replaced the pillar with the gauge pillar instead of overlaying. Only took one screw, at the top, to hold it because the fit is so snug at the dash. Was a moderate pain getting the fuel line and wires run down through the dash. I ended up going straight down beside the fuse panel and elbowing forward from there. DC was nice in that they put a handy little hole in the firewall, complete with a grommet and plug, beside the steering column to use for the lines/wires.<br>Couldn't put any of the hardware on the gauges to hold them in, it was just too tight in that pillar. Fortunately, the pillar holes are so tight I doubt those gauges will ever move.<br>Haven't mounted the fuel gauge isolator yet as I'm trying to figure the best place for it.<br>As big as that engine compartment is, it sure is tight getting to most things on the drivers side.<br><br>EGTs: Idle: 375-400. Rolling: WOT: 1100, Cruising 65 mph: 900. I was surprised at how responsive the EGT gauge is. Considering that, what temp is safe for the turbo to cut the engine off? It comes back to 375-400 almost immediately. I always figured it would take a little more time to come down to an acceptable temperature to shut down the engine.<br><br>Boost: WOT: 19.5-20 lbs. Cruising 65 mph: 10-11 lbs.<br><br>Now for the bad news!<br>Fuel pressure: Key on, engine off, over 15 lbs. Idle: 7 lbs, Engine 1500 RPMs or more, much less WOT: 0 (ZERO). &gt;:'(<br><br>Looks like I'm in the same boat I was a few thousand miles ago, except it pumps a little something, enough to bleed the system and I didn't have to get it towed to the ******* again.<br><br>Sure am glad I'm getting ready to install my Holley Blue fuel pump and replace that piece of junk. You think I should have the ******* fix it again so I'll have a brand new one?<br><br>Comments welcome.<br><br>Thanks,<br>Chris
Old 12-28-2002, 05:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re:Gauge Install Results

Hay Stamey I finally got my pillar cover an gauges in today also. EGT, Boost an tranny temp. I didn't hook up the trans temp yet, not sure where to hook it in, the sending unit that I was sent from TST looks to big to fit anywhere around the trans. the instruction paper says to install it in the front of the INTAKE MANIFOLD?? ??? ??? !!!!THIS THING IS A WATER TEMP SENDER!!!!!! Is that what you use for the trans temp or did they send the wrong thing, there ISSOPro GAUGES.<br> If this is right where do you hook it in <br> thanks Bob
Old 12-28-2002, 06:24 PM

I didn't do a temp gauge, but I'll put my 2 cents in. I have heard of people putting it in the line coming from the tranny to the cooler. This will take some adapters.<br>See this:<br>http://www.dieselpage.com/gitt.htm<br>That page recommends putting a different pan, with a fiiting for the temp gauge on it.<br><br>I also recommend going over to DTT www.dieseltrans.com and asking about it in their forums. The fellow there, Bill Kondolay, is one of the best diesel tranny builders out there and knows his stuff. He caould probably give you good information on this.<br>And perhaps someone else here can give you the info you need.<br><br>Chris
Old 12-28-2002, 07:07 PM

I installed a tranny temp gauge in-line before the cooler. Got all the fittings at Ace Hardware, brass tee, two hose bibbs, 3/8&quot; and clamps for about $8. In-Line sending unit tells you the internal temp of tranny at its highest temp. In-the-Pan sending unit tells you temp of oil after it has been partially cooled. If you want to prevent tranny problems install In-Line. You then have time to take some corrective action. In-Pan temps tell you what has already happened, worse than factory tranny warning light. <br><br>I lost a tranny last April, the warning light came on, the damage had already been done.<br>
Old 12-28-2002, 07:32 PM

Phil,<br>How do you determine which line is the output line? Just unhook one and start'er up to see which way the fluid squirts?<br><br>Chris
Old 12-28-2002, 07:52 PM
Administrator / Scooter Bum

Received 47 Likes on 33 Posts

I used a trans line from Dodge that has the fitting already installed for the sender.<br>I think it's from a '94 model year. Part # 5011244AA.<br>It has a check ball in it that needs to be removed before installation(5 minute job) and replaces thre entire line.<br>I don't trust the &quot;cut the line and use the adapter&quot; method as with my luck it will decide to come apart at O-dark-hundred hours in the middle of BFE, and my cellphone will be out-of-range. :
Old 12-28-2002, 09:38 PM

Shovelhead,<br>How big is that line? I'm picturing a line about 7-8 feet, bent in various contortions, and a real PITA to get into the truck. I am envisioning lifting the engine off the mounts to get enough room to fish that line in there. I've been through some metal line replacements before and I wished the engine and tranny were sitting on the ground so I'd have enough room to work inside the car.<br>I've never looked closely at my tranny lines so maybe I am just letting my imagination run away with me.<br><br>And, just to verify, that PN works on a 99? I see you have a 99 but I don't know if the line you spoke of is on that truck.<br><br><br>Thanks,<br>Chris<br>
Old 12-28-2002, 10:40 PM

The line for the sender unit is the one with the check valve. As far as cutting neoprene line, on my 90, it came from the factory with the standard cooler line cut and the auxillary cooler installed with stainless hose clamps. Prior to that I installed three tranny coolers myself. Remember the fluid is not under high pressure it is a low pressure line. I have never heard of anyone having a line slip off of a hose bibb when clamped tightly.

Removing one line and starting is a sure fire method of knowing. If it shoots toward the cooler it is the correct line. If it shoots away from the cooler that is the return line.

I just lost power and am on an auxillary generator. Got 4 inches of the white stuff in 3 hours. Gotta run.
Old 12-28-2002, 11:01 PM

Now THAT'S what I call dedication Phil. Gone an fired up the generator so you wouldn't miss anything at DTR. Or would that be better phrased as addiction? ;D JK<br><br>Good luck with the snow. We got 4 inches here in VA in the beginning of December but we did not get the ice that knocked out power like NC did. But that's OK, we got it in 98 and 99.<br><br>I'm gonna write down that number for when I get around to the tranny temp gauge.<br><br>Chris
Old 12-29-2002, 12:11 AM

First wave of the storm has passed. Power is restored. Now we wait for the next wave which is supposed to be more than the last one.<br> <br> Severe Weather Alert from the National Weather Service:<br> <br> ...EAST FOOTHILLS/NORTH SACRAMENTO VALLEY- 810 PM PST SAT DEC 28 2002 <br>...THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE HAS ISSUED A WINTER STORM WARNING FOR TONIGHT FOR THE FOOTHILLS OF THE NORTHERN SIERRA NEVADA... <br><br>PRECIPITATION WILL BE LIGHT TO MODERATE THIS EVENING AS THE SNOW LEVEL LOWERS. THROUGH NORTHERN CALIFORNIA. COLDER AIR CONTINUES TO LOWER SNOW LEVELS THIS EVENING TO AROUND 1800 FEET. TOTAL SNOWFALL ACCUMULATIONS BY SUNDAY MORNING ARE EXPECTED TO RANGE FROM 4 TO 6 INCHES WILL BE ABOVE 2500 FEET...WITH 1-3 INCHES DOWN TO AROUND 2000 FOOT LEVEL. AT TIMES OVERNIGHT THE SNOW LEVEL MAY LOWER TO AROUND 1500 FEET...BUT NO MORE THAN A DUSTING OF SNOW IS EXPECTED AT THAT LEVEL. <br><br><br>I am at 3200 feet. <br>
Old 12-29-2002, 08:09 AM
Administrator / Scooter Bum

Received 47 Likes on 33 Posts

The replacement line is approx 3 feet long, and bent to fit.<br>It replaces the &quot;Hot&quot; line from the driver's side of the tranny to the heat exchanger located on the passenger's side near the turbo. The heat exchanger looks like a black horizontal cylinder with two lines coming into it from the bottom.<br>The change-out took about an hour in the driveway, and I lost about 1 to 2 qts while changing it.....use a drain pan.
Old 12-29-2002, 09:34 AM

I just hate it here in Georgia. 52 outside now. I'm working in a tee shirt. ;D. But then we got Atlanta. The cesspool of the South.<br><br>..Preston..
Old 12-29-2002, 01:55 PM

Cool down Turbo thom, I'll show you some of what came thru here last night. Maybe that will help,
Old 12-29-2002, 02:02 PM

Here's another pic. Guess I won't be towin my fiver today.