Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

Fueling boxes

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2004, 06:05 AM
Chapter President

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Fueling boxes

Well, I know this has been covered many times before but I am looking for some opinions on what fueling boxes you guys use and which ones you like best. I am looking for an adjustable box. I am leaning towards an Edge Comp or TST Powermax 3. I would like any feedback you guys may have on these boxes or others. This is my first 24 valver and I want it to perform like my 12 valver. Somewhere in the area of 350hp. I will be installing guages, including a fuel pressure guage to monitor lift pump pressures to make sure I don't smoke that VP44. Also, a Scotty II and a MBRP 4" exhaust with an exhaust brake will be installed at the same time.

Thanks in advance for your feedback.
Old 09-28-2004, 12:05 PM
Chapter President

Anybody?
Old 09-28-2004, 12:21 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
With what I have in my signature my truck is right at the 350 mark you are looking for. I really do not need the superchips programmer to acheive this ( it is the same as comp on level 1 ) but I use it for diagnostics and speedo recalibration.

The comp works great. Had a wire harness problem at one time and Edge sent me a whole new box and wire harness with no extra charge, not even postage. I have dealt with Edge products many times over the course of their existance and they have been extremely helpful. When they first came out with their line of products I used them all just to see which one I liked best and then sent the rest back. Don't know if they will still do that but I do know some of the vendors will.

All in all, I am very happy with their product and customer service.
Old 09-28-2004, 12:23 PM

for either of those boxes, don't forget a clutch upgrade....

as far as which box to choose I think it's personal preference.
Old 09-28-2004, 01:08 PM

Here's post I made awhile back on comparing the 2 boxes you're considering:
https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/...253#post490253

Please feel free to ask if you have any other questions. I wish I'd researched it a little bit more before I bought my first one.

brandon.
Old 09-28-2004, 01:23 PM

i have the comp box and had it upgraded it smoked my clutch but that chip is a bad dude very good first mod and my clutch did last two months.
Old 09-28-2004, 02:26 PM
Chapter President

Yeah, I have a Southbend dealer nearby that I will be hitting up for a clutch. Which Southbend would you suggest for 350hp?

Joe: Sounds like you prefer the Comp over the PM3 for ease of use. I was leaning towards the Comp anyway. I really don't need the extra options that the PM3 offers with guages - I prefer a set of analogues over the digital readouts. Is the stock lift pump up to the demand of the Comp box? How about a banjo bolt upgrade? - or do I need to swap lift pumps?
Old 09-28-2004, 03:16 PM

If you are staying at 350hp (yeah, right), go with the Con O.

More than that, and the Con OFE is the way to go.

If you're shooting for big hp, your into Con FE or even double disc territory.

jlh
Old 09-28-2004, 05:33 PM

Originally posted by CTD NUT
Is the stock lift pump up to the demand of the Comp box? How about a banjo bolt upgrade? - or do I need to swap lift pumps?
monitor your fuel pressure and don't let it dip into the danger zone. There are plenty of days worth of reading in threads on the subject of lift pumps and fuel delivery upgrades.
Old 09-29-2004, 05:58 AM

I'm running a drag or hot comp and rv275 injectors, I think that probably puts me in the 350hp range.

my stock lift pump holds just fine with the wildcat max flow kit.

Fuel pressure is 15psi at idle, 14 psi cruising on the highway and 10psi under wide open throttle with the comp on 5x5

banjo bolts had helped over stock but still let my fuel pressure dip to 7 psi under wide open throttle.

I really like my Con O, clutch pedal pressure is less than stock and it hasn't slipped yet .........
Old 09-29-2004, 11:58 AM
Chapter President

What is the difference between a Comp, Drag Comp and Hot Comp? I have only seen the box listed as "Comp".

Does the FASS negate the need for a high flow kit?
Old 09-29-2004, 02:30 PM

Originally posted by CTD NUT
What is the difference between a Comp, Drag Comp and Hot Comp? I have only seen the box listed as "Comp".

Does the FASS negate the need for a high flow kit?
I guess some people are referring to the "drag comp" as the "hot comp".

Edge used a make a fueling box that tapped the wire, but it wasn't the comp. This box was called the "power edge" or "hot edge box". I've also heard it called the "three light" or was it "three button" edge box?

Presently, Edge only offers the EZ and the Comp. The Comp taps the wire, the EZ doesn't.

You can have your comp reprogrammed "drag comp" specs--to allow fueling to 3200 rpm, and also have a little more aggressive fueling.

As for the FASS-- yes, it does negate the need for a high-flow kit because it bypasses the oem filter and fittings. I'm under the impression that it comes with its own plumbing and thus, you don't need a max-flow kit.

I went with the max-flow because it was a lot cheaper than the FASS, and my stock LP is more than enough for my hp level with the restrictions removed.

Justin
Old 09-30-2004, 08:47 AM
Chapter President

Yeah, the FASS is little out of my price range at the moment. I will talk to Wildcat about their high flow kits.

What rpm does the stock Comp box fuel to?
Old 09-30-2004, 12:27 PM
Banned

The comp fueling curve follows the same fueling curve as the stock ECM program, it just allows more fuel to be added. In other words if the stock program says to fuel to X amount, with the comp it fuels to XX amount, it does this all the way through the fueling curve. The Drag comp just allows XXX amount when the ECM starts to defuel thus you get more power all the way to 3200 RPM's which is red line.

The fueling will start to fall off around 2400-2600 RPM's in the ECM and the standard comp.
Old 09-30-2004, 06:37 PM

ctd nut,

A cheap alternative is to put in a holley electric inline to support/assist the LP. Wire it in with the LP wiring so it triggers off the LP. Cost around $100 for the holley and $20 for the extra length LP harness from Cummins.

Roman