Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

Fuel Tank Pickup Tube???

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2006, 08:49 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I can't take my bed off because the spray in liner is covering them.
I think that would be way harder than dropping it, anyways.
Old 12-19-2006, 09:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Scramblinman
I guess each truck and their owners are different. It would have taken me longer and been a much larger pain in the **** to lift up the bed. Maybe that would be the way to go if your truck has a full tank of fuel. Dropping my near empty tank was such a snap that I couldn't believe people make such an issue out of it.
Ditto on that.
Pulling the tank is easy ... I did it with about 1/8 tank of fuel. 4 bolts to pull the cross member that's in the way. two nuts on the tank straps. Two hoses and electrical harness on the stock pick unit. Biggest problem I had was the plastic clip thingy on the return line won't let go ... otherwise I'd of had it out in a half hour or less.
Put a piece of wood under the tank with a floor jack, crawled under the other side to steady the tank while my wife let the jack down slowly. Putting it back in was just as easy, except the tank straps were a a little harder to get back in place.

Becareful when laying out and drilling the hole for the FASS pick-up tube, becareful of where that flanged part with the o-ring fits - I almost got mine to close to the curved edge of the tank where it wouldn't have sealed ....
Old 12-19-2006, 11:15 PM

Marks99, where abouts did you drill the new hole for the draw tube and how far off the bottom did you put the draw tube??
Old 12-19-2006, 11:19 PM

Marks99, did the draw tube make a big difference?
Old 12-20-2006, 02:02 AM

Originally Posted by dodgediesel
Marks99, where abouts did you drill the new hole for the draw tube and how far off the bottom did you put the draw tube??
OK - little hard to discribe - if you look at Scramblinman's picture (post#6) I drilled the hole about between the head of the hammer and that 'star' molding number thing (if that makes sense.)
My '99 tank doesn't look like that though, there's a kind of molded step in that area ....
My only suggesting is to look at the FASS insturctions, then lay that flanged alum. part on the tank and make sure it's on a flat area, also make sure it's not too close to the stock pickup mounting ring ... so it doesn't cause a problem with tighting down that big ring. (I wasn't paying attention, and got the fitting about 1/4" too far toward the driveshaft side of the tank, where the tank curves over, and just bearly got the o-ring to seal ....)
And as far as how much difference it made - can't really say ... I had the in-tank pump, so no way to hook up the FASS pump without the draw tube, or finding a true stock pick-up assembly ....
I set my tube about 1/8 - 3/16" off the bottom ... since I only had a few gal's of fuel in the tank, and I off road, I kept fiddling with the tank and tube, tilting the tank on angles etc until I could still draw low fuel at high angles
Old 12-20-2006, 08:39 AM

Thanks for all the help fella's and especially Marks99....