Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

Fuel Tank Pickup Tube???

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2006, 10:52 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Fuel Tank Pickup Tube???

Has anyone out there removed their fuel tank and installed a FASS pick up tube? I know the tank has to be very low on fuel but do I need any special tools to remove my fuel tank? How big of a job is it? The FASS directions seem to be straight forward! Thanks guys...
Old 12-19-2006, 10:55 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I haven't heard of the FASS tube, only the Draw Straw from Vulcan Performance.
Old 12-19-2006, 10:56 AM
Banned

I didn't install a fass tube but I installed a vulcan draw straw and it took me and another guy almost 4 hours to do it. It was an absolute nightmare. No special tools are needed but you will need about 14 different joints in your arms to get to the fittings and what not on the top side of the tank. The fittinga are probably gonna be on there really tightly considering they've got how many thousands of miles of grime and mud stuffed up in there so have fun with that.
Old 12-19-2006, 10:57 AM

BB,
you guys didn't drop the tank?
Old 12-19-2006, 11:00 AM
Banned

We did drop the tank. You have to drop the tank to pull the old pickup out of the module cause there is no way you are going to do it with the limited room you have under there. That sucker is in there tight. But, we also didn't have enough slack in any of the lines to drop the tank far enough to give us any extra access to the fittings and what not on top of the tank before we dropped it. Maybe rjohnson and bnold will chime in here later since they were helping on this cursed install as well.
Old 12-19-2006, 11:09 AM
Banned

I dropped the tank to remove the intank module when I replaced the fuel level sending unit in my truck. Took me about 2 hours start to finish at a leisurely pace. Overall I thought it was quite easy. The only special tool that might be needed would be a strap or chain wrench large enough to fit around the 8" or so diameter locking ring for the fuel module. I just cinched a tie down strap around it and tapped the buckle with a mallet to loosen it up and then retighten it when done.

Old 12-19-2006, 11:12 AM

I know you can't take the module out with the tank still in, but that is how your post sounded. I had to do my sender, and it was easy to get the hoses off the top, and then I used a strap wrench to take the collar off.
Why didn't you guys take the lines off?
Old 12-19-2006, 11:18 AM
Banned

I just noticed that. My bad. Yes we dropped the tank all the way down and removed all the lines and fittings before we dropped it. Maybe yall got lucky on yours but the one I did was an absolute night mare and I don't see how it could be a one man job.
Old 12-19-2006, 11:18 AM

Taking the bed bolts out seems alot easier. Usually we take all the bolts out but the back two and leave them loose, hook a hoist of some kind to them and pick the bed up about 18 inches to 2 foot.
Old 12-19-2006, 11:20 AM
Banned

If I ever have to do mine for some unforsaken reason I will be pulling my bed off.
Old 12-19-2006, 11:27 AM
Banned

I guess each truck and their owners are different. It would have taken me longer and been a much larger pain in the **** to lift up the bed. Maybe that would be the way to go if your truck has a full tank of fuel. Dropping my near empty tank was such a snap that I couldn't believe people make such an issue out of it.
Old 12-19-2006, 11:28 AM
Banned

Well this one was definately empty. Maybe had 1 or 2 gallons in it. You could easily manuveur it with one hand. It just wasn't easy to do.
Old 12-19-2006, 11:44 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Scramblinman
I dropped the tank to remove the intank module when I replaced the fuel level sending unit in my truck. Took me about 2 hours start to finish at a leisurely pace. Overall I thought it was quite easy.
Interesting?? 12v must be a lot different. On my 02, carrier bearing was in the way of dropping tank.... fuel module locking cap came off with two of us turning it, but the two pronged, intake & return insert would not pull free from the rubber grommet holding it in the fuel module. We had two, 200 pounders pulling in opposite direction and could not budge it. Had to smash it and remove the pieces to insert the draw straw. And the suction line provided by Vulcan, did not fit over the barbed fitting (also provided). Every step seemed to have problems?

As Big Blue said... was a nasty four hr job! Just seemed every step in the directions required rewriting. Maybe just our day "in the bucket", because others have commented that the Draw Straw was an OK job???

RJ
Old 12-19-2006, 03:38 PM

My shop has two overhead hoist in it, I just forget how handy they are. We built the pickup tube in my tank and epoxied it into the vent tube hole. I do need to make it longer, it runs out just below a quarter tank and about 28 miles from home .
Old 12-19-2006, 05:23 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
When I bought my Walbro kit i got the draw tube from them and installed it myself, I left the intank pump in for the sending unit purpose, and drilled another hole for the Walbro draw tube, it wasnt too bad at all to do by myself. PS a floor jack may come in handy

Quick Reply: Fuel Tank Pickup Tube???