Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

Fuel pumps: can I use any other type?

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2010, 06:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Fuel pumps: can I use any other type?

so I just got my old truck back and it appears that the lift pump is toast again, ( just installed a replacement carter a year and a half ago. any way my guage reads 10 at idle and 0 at barely any throttle, ( kinda strange, but oh well

my question is can I get a holley or something cheaper than a Airdog that will work with my stock filter and not break this quick? I am not opposed to adapting something if it is diesel compatible, thanks in advance,

and yes I will mod it but for now I just need it to be drivable
Old 02-23-2010, 06:25 PM
Chapter President

I have a Holley blue on mine. Been a good pump for two years now. When the taxes get back to me this will be next.

http://www.dodge-diesel.org/fubomelipusy.html
Old 02-23-2010, 08:20 PM

wow that thing is cool I want one, too bad my wallet wont permit it maybe I will look for a holley
Old 02-23-2010, 10:17 PM

A good solution that will work with your stock filter is the FASS HPFP or Pureflow Raptor.

Just no filtering capability, but you do get fuel pressure control, upgraded lines, relay harnesses,and all the other components to hook up to your stock filter.

As always, I would not install any pump without addressing the stock fuel module and I would add a DrawStraw I for stock non in tank pump modules and a DrawStraw V for the in tank variety.

Dave
Old 02-24-2010, 06:54 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You might also look at a Walbro 392 setup....
Old 02-24-2010, 10:46 AM

Originally Posted by sheriffav8r
You might also look at a Walbro 392 setup....
X2 this is an easy to work with quiet, reasonably priced solution that is much better than a carter/ holley pump.

Install it back close to the tank and it will also support more HP in the future for you if you decide to go that route later. Be sure to install a prefilter for long life.
Old 02-24-2010, 11:22 AM

FF5079 is the pre filter screen I use. Do a search on here to find out exactly what you need to do this type of setup. I've had mine on for a couple of years and it works great....
Old 02-24-2010, 08:45 PM

OK you all will laugh but I bought a holley to install because my carter (was not putting out very much PSI as per my guage, well because I planned on installing it(the holley) i put a new filter on well now my fuel pressure is back to where it should be with the carter, so I am taking the holley back, I ultimately want to buy an Airdog just cant afford one right now, so now I can save and put the one on that I want, thanks for all your help I never expected to have a dirty filter as I just replaced it a year ago.
Old 02-24-2010, 10:00 PM

Originally Posted by DodgeRamdiese01
I never expected to have a dirty filter as I just replaced it a year ago.
You should replace the fuel filter ever other oil change.
Old 02-24-2010, 11:57 PM

Originally Posted by DodgeRamdiese01
I never expected to have a dirty filter as I just replaced it a year ago.
one tank of fuel is all it takes to plug up a filter, immediate action on any low pressure readings is to replace the filter first

oh, always carry a spare filter in the glovebox!! even if you have a new one on the engine.
Old 02-24-2010, 11:59 PM

also if you relocate your stock pump back to the tank area, it will give much better results. and you will have done most of the work already, when you have to replace the carter in the future.
Old 02-25-2010, 01:18 AM

I have a bullydog big fuel kit. It comes with a bigend pump it works awsome. It has half inch I hose and all the fittings you need to put it on your truck. it was cheep to so that's nice.
Old 02-25-2010, 10:33 AM

Originally Posted by nickg
one tank of fuel is all it takes to plug up a filter, immediate action on any low pressure readings is to replace the filter first

oh, always carry a spare filter in the glovebox!! even if you have a new one on the engine.
I would agree and i do keep a spare filter in all of my trucks.

The pressure gauge is the best judge of when the filter needs to be changed.
Old 02-25-2010, 06:03 PM

yeah I just repossessed the truck back from a friend who was gonna buy it but gave me no money after a year, so now I have to go over it and see what was neglected. I just put a filter on a year and a half ago. with the carter lift pump. and it has been driven much so I did not think of a clogged filter. now she runs like a top I hope no damage was done to the IP.
Old 03-03-2010, 07:34 PM
DPG

I had a rail-mounted Bullydog pump put on. The stock lift pump was gutted to allow fuel flow through. I get 27psi at idle and it never goes below 20 psi at full throttle. And no, I don't have any hard-start problems. I love it!

Quick Reply: Fuel pumps: can I use any other type?