Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

fuel pressure isolators?

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2009, 09:04 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
fuel pressure isolators?

I know most of ya'll pipe fuel straight to the gauge,,,,, but I'd really prefer to use a isolator, the one I installed with my gauge package failed,,,,,, This ain't my first rodeo,,, bleed the fire out of it, compressed the blader or media before filling,,, worked for about 250 miles then went south.

Checked under hood with mech. gauge, everythings fine, Air Dog is doing it's job,,,,,,

So does anybody make a isolator worth the time to put on or is it a lost cause.

I have a low pressure light hook up, and I think I'm going to hook up another one (adjustable pressure) and set it for 10 psi, that way I'll have one at 5 psi and one at 10 psi. Thoughts anyone,,,, Bueller, Bueller?
Old 02-01-2009, 10:10 AM

Vulcan Performance makes a very good one and it looks sharp too! Add a SS braided hose for max bling!
Old 02-01-2009, 10:10 AM

Once a year I refill my isolator with
antifreeze, I even fill my line, using
a syringe. If I don't do this I will
see a fluctuation in pressure. I think
the antifreeze dissipate,s by itself.
Old 02-01-2009, 10:12 AM

Yesterday I removed all of the antifreeze mix and refilled with silicone. Diesel Dan and Eric (Vulcan) suggested the change.
Old 02-01-2009, 10:51 AM

What type of silicone ?
Old 02-18-2009, 10:31 AM

Originally Posted by MSquare
Yesterday I removed all of the antifreeze mix and refilled with silicone. Diesel Dan and Eric (Vulcan) suggested the change.
Yes! What type??
Old 02-18-2009, 12:56 PM

I just used an aeresol can with the plastic extension on it. Filled the line, let the air bubbles disipate and repeated until the line was full with minimal air in it.

So far I've got about 500 miles with no issues.
Old 02-18-2009, 12:59 PM

An aerosol can of silicone? Brand? Did you fill your isolator with it as well?
Old 02-18-2009, 03:30 PM

Yes, the isolator gets filled as well.

Brand doesn't matter.

Dave
Old 02-18-2009, 07:46 PM

I just got a fuel pressure kit from vulcan and i filled my isolator up with antifreez and the line and i still cant get all the air out of the line. how are you guys doing it?
Old 02-18-2009, 08:54 PM

Originally Posted by Buzz'nhalfdozen
I just got a fuel pressure kit from vulcan and i filled my isolator up with antifreez and the line and i still cant get all the air out of the line. how are you guys doing it?
Thats why I switched to silicone!

Yes I filled the isolator and then the line. I left both ends of the line disconnected. Then I stuck the plastic extension from the silicone can (aeresol) in the line from the cab side and started flowing. I filled it until it came out the other end and let it sit for a couple of minutes. Once the air bubbles settled down, I hit it again, waited and hit it one more time. This got about 95% of the air out and left me a few inches on either end to trim before putting the fittings on. I started at the isolator, I cut the line down to the level of silicone and made the connection and then did the gauge connection.

Be patient and take your time. I am very happy and ended up with alot less air in the line. The silicone is much easier to work with then coolant and not nearly as messy.
Old 02-19-2009, 01:01 AM

Originally Posted by Buzz'nhalfdozen
Honestly, the small amount of air in the line has absolutely no effect on the function of the gauge. The only reason we use it is because antifreeze compresses much less than air. And that means the diaphragm inside the isolator does not have to move as far to balance the pressure on the other side of the isolator.

Dave
Old 02-19-2009, 07:13 AM

Dave,
A SMALL amount of air.... I've unfortunately got more than a small amount. I like the silicone idea tho. Thinking I'm going to try it. Thanks.
Old 02-19-2009, 03:04 PM

If you have lot of air, most likely one of the compression fittings was over tightened and you have a small leak. Doesn't take much!

Dave
Old 02-19-2009, 04:00 PM

2nd on the silicone. I have blown 2 isolators in the past and now I use a needle valve prior to the isolator. Im never worried about air. all I have ever done is fill up the isolator with silicone. usually spray it in a small fill cup fill up the isolator and then connect the compression fitting. my psi was always around 25psi with my fass150 but now I have the needle valve adjusted to read around 20psi I think this combo for me has saved my diaphram in the isolator from breaking. the silicone should be good for a long time. if you have the smallest of leak this will cause many problems with irratic readings.

Quick Reply: fuel pressure isolators?