Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

fuel pressure isolator

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2004, 06:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
fuel pressure isolator

I am getting guages put in and was wondering everyone's thought on running fuel to the pillar mount guage or using the isolator, Thanks for the input. Todd
Old 11-18-2004, 07:06 PM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
In my opinion the isolators are more hassle than they're worth. Just install a needle valve at the head of your line and run it barely cracked open. In the unlikely event that you do have a leak it will be a very slow drip that can be shut down with the valve. Don't use Teflon tape with diesel, it will eventually leak, instead use Permatex #2 to seal the threads.
Old 11-18-2004, 11:19 PM
Banned

I don't use anything to seal the threads. NPT thread is self sealing. I've never used any sealant on any of my fuel line connections and after a year I still don't have any leaks. I agree with the no isolator part.
Old 11-18-2004, 11:39 PM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
I disagree Blue
Main reason to use something on the threads is to reduce friction when putting fittings together and taking apart. Many times if you don't use something on the threads when you go to take it apart the threads strip off because the metals have fused (galled) together.
Don't think you'll find a professional plumber anywhere who doesn't use thread compound on every NPT pipe thread.
Old 11-18-2004, 11:46 PM

Originally posted by BigBlue
NPT thread is self sealing.
Where did you get that info? USE thread sealant.
Old 11-19-2004, 02:53 AM
Banned

I had a plumber tell me that. I don't know much about plumbing other than PVC stuff. I've never once used sealant on any of my stuff and I've taken it off more times than I can count (and I'm about to do it again tomorrow ) and the threads are perfectly fine. I tighten the stuff till it's hand tight and then another 1/4-1/2 turn. No problems with leaks after a year.
Old 11-19-2004, 01:23 PM

Pipi Threads NPT

I am a certified master plumber by trade and this is what I know. NPT pipe threads are tapered to a certain degree. If all is as it should be with the female and the male threads and no imperfections are there then the threads will seal themselfs when properly tightened. The Pipe thread sealers are mostly for a lube value to allow for the threads to do there thing with no friction. Liquid or paste type of sealer or dope should be painted on the first three threads very thinly and then tightened up and the threads should be able to be turned by hand for at least 2 1/2 to 3 turns and then tighten with a wrench. There are teflon pipe thread tapes that are made special for gas and fuel. It is usually a light yellow in color and you should never put it on the first two threads. This will prevent it from getting into you system. This is what I know and have been taught in my apprenticeship when I took it. There are also sealants out there that will seal a pipe joint to take up for bad threads also. Permatex will do that.
Old 11-19-2004, 04:49 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
NO isolator, no leaks, no problems.

I had an isolator and it failed (it seems they all do at some point). Readings were all over the place.

Ditched the isolator, and it's been smooth sailing since.

jlh