Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

Fuel Pressure guage in- flow comparison of fuel filters..

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2003, 07:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Fuel Pressure guage in- flow comparison of fuel filters..

I installed my new ISSPRO fuel pressure guage today. Afterwards, I decided to test the after filter pressure of my new Fleetguard filter versus a new NAPA filter. I had seen a couple of posts where someone had seen more pressure with the Napa piece. I was also concerned about the fact that no matter what I do, I can't seem to make any black smoke with this truck. (The best part of the 92 CTD I had was mashing the accelerator and making a huge cloud of black smoke) I had just replaced my filter and raced MOTORHEAD with his 01 CTD and he kicked my butt bad and his truck is bone stock! He started out way behind me in traffic and never saw the slightest hint of smoke from my tailpipe. Anyways, here are the results of my test. I did 3 tests since I also installed my new Hi-flow Banjo bolts today.<br> IDLE Cruising at 50 WOT<br>Fleetguard w/ stock banjos 9.5 8 3.5<br>Fleetguard w/ Hiflow banjos 9.75 8.5 5<br>NAPA w/ Hiflow banjos 9.75 8.5 5<br><br>As you can clearly see, both filters flow exactly the same in my truck. The banjo bolts were definitely worth the money especially at WOT! The truck doesn't seem to run any different though except that I did not notice the slight surging I was feeling before with the Fleetguard filter. I wasn't really looking for it though. I was just watching my new cool guage. I got my trans temp guage mounted also and tomorrow morning it will be functional.
Old 03-08-2003, 07:47 PM

Re:Fuel Pressure guage in- flow comparison of fuel filters..

After reading another post from a couple of days ago, from someone with about the same fuel pressure as mine, it looks like I need and new lift pump!! :'( Oh well, this is the reason I bought the fuel pressure guage anyways. Where is the cheapest place to buy a Holley Black pump??? :'(
Old 03-08-2003, 08:04 PM

Don't know where u r taking your FP's from. VP44 or filter? May want to verify with a mechanical gauge off of the VP44 schrader. But, in any event, they are low. You should be pulling at least 14-15 at idle and 12-13 at cruise. Don't know how much HP you are running but you probably don't need a pusher pump. As Joe Donnelly says, if you aren't running over bout 350+ rwhp, stock lift pump should be fine. Replace with 3990105 lift pump and see what happens.
Old 03-08-2003, 08:12 PM
Administrator / Scooter Bum

Received 47 Likes on 33 Posts

Yo DZ,<br>My '99 shows 15# at idle, 13# at cruise, and 11# WOT.<br>Might wanna check into that lift pump.<br>But without a fuel pressure guage, you'd have never known Huh?
Old 03-08-2003, 08:18 PM
DPG

I just replaced my lift pump today, with a Cummins #3990082, the correct number for the 1998-99 CTD. I was getting 9-10 psi at idle, and 6-7 psi at WOT. Now I get 14-15 idle, and I don't have an accurate WOT, as we got 6 inches of snow this afternoon, and I couldn't go WOT without hitting something!<br><br>DeWain
Old 03-08-2003, 08:19 PM

You're right Shovelhead. Gee, guages are great!! ;D Now if I can just find out where to get a new Holley black pump everything would be fine.......Janetty racing sells a Cummins lift pump for $160.00
Old 03-08-2003, 08:21 PM

Thanks DPG. What did it cost you? I have a Cummins dealer right on my way to work.

Trending Topics

Old 03-08-2003, 08:51 PM
Administrator / Scooter Bum

Received 47 Likes on 33 Posts

The lift pump from Cummins is about $150, from Dodge about $300 [undecided] &gt;
Old 03-09-2003, 02:42 AM

Location: Drive till ya hit a Polar Bear, then go back 50 miles

[quote author=Dodgezilla link=board=7;threadid=11984;start=0#113389 date=1047176354]<br>Now if I can just find out where to get a new Holley black pump everything would be fine.<br>[/quote]<br><br>Be wary of the Holley Blacks these days. Last year, we installed about 20 of them, and had great success with every last one of them. To the best of my knowledge, no-one has lost one yet, and one of the guys should be at 70,000 miles by now (hotshotter).<br><br>This year has been a completely different story. Holley started shipping the pumps with an external regulator. Theoretically, they didn't change the pump, but we've only had 2 successful installs out of 10. Right out of the box, the pumps simply didn't generate enough pressure (10 PSI idle, 8 WOT). A couple customers tore their pumps apart, and found that the internal bypass valves had alot of rough edges, and needed to be cleaned out with brake cleaner. The stators themselves also had rough edges that needed some cleaning up. Once the cleanup was done, the pumps went back to supplying 16 PSI at idle, and 13 at WOT.<br><br>As such, I'm not personally recommending the Blacks. We've got a couple systems that we're now working with:<br><br>1) High flow banjos, stock lift - Appears to be a decent solution to 300 horsepower. Lift pumps seem to hold out well.<br><br>2) Large ID lines, stock lift - Right now we've got two trucks, one at 350 HP, another at 400 HP running in this configuration. Lift pump pressures are decent (16 idle, 10 WOT) and pump survivability is currently at 40K on one of the trucks. Unsure of mileage on the other<br><br>For the higher power crowd, we're working on a Product Engineering system. ADT has been using these in the pusher configuration for awhile now, and apparently having good luck with them...<br><br>Rod
Old 03-09-2003, 03:59 AM

Received 263 Likes on 235 Posts

Well maybe its just me, but I mounted a Holley Blue into the frame rail and have 17 at idle and 15 at WOT. I used 10mm rubber fuel hose and some flared banjos. I measured at the VP44 inlet port. <br>I have been running this combo for about 12k miles now and haven't seen any change after the air was out of the system.<br>I removed the stock lift pump, and drive the Holley through a relay. <br><br>HTH<br><br>AlpineRAM
Old 03-09-2003, 06:46 AM

I think I'm gonna get the Cummins part. That way I know I'll have a direct hook-up without having to buy a slew of extra parts. Thanks everybody..
Old 03-10-2003, 10:54 AM
Banned

I was one of the people who had trouble with the Holley Black. Once I got that all sorted out, the pump has been fine. I shorted out my FP gauge though so I have to get that replaced. But last time I checked it was 16 idle and 13 WOT with pump wire and COMP on 3x3.
Old 03-10-2003, 12:04 PM

I was also concerned about the fact that no matter what I do, I can't seem to make any black smoke with this truck.
<br><br>I've got the same truck as you with and Edge EZ. I get lots of smoke but I have replaced my lift pump and get 10 psi @ WOT. Is your EZ on the #3 pins? With the EZ the only time you get smoke is hammering it when you're at low rpms. A little smoke at higher rpms but not enough to brag about.
Old 03-10-2003, 12:40 PM

Yes my Edge EZ is on the number 3 setting (right side). I'm starting to think my EZ box isn't working anymore. I'm gonna unplug it once I get the new lift pump on and see how it runs. It just doesn't feel like it used to. Maybe I'm just getting used to it.. ???
Old 03-10-2003, 11:50 PM
Top's Younger Twin

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

[quote author=AlpineRAM link=board=7;threadid=11984;start=0#113485 date=1047203958]
Well maybe its just me, but I mounted a Holley Blue into the frame rail and have 17 at idle and 15 at WOT. I used 10mm rubber fuel hose and some flared banjos. I measured at the VP44 inlet port.
I have been running this combo for about 12k miles now and haven't seen any change after the air was out of the system.
I removed the stock lift pump, and drive the Holley through a relay.

HTH

AlpineRAM
[/quote]

I have a blue on my truck right now as I had two dud Blacks...I have 10 idle, 10 cruise and 8 WOT but it recovers to 10 fast. Thats running a TST Pmax 3 on 9 and DD 3's with b1KS. I am building a PE4200 system with nice braided teflon line and no banjos and no aeroquip fittings that choke the ID for flow down to less then 1/4&quot; at the connections to the
VP-44 and filter.
I believe that having the same or as close as possible to the same ID throughout the system is better then having huge ID lines and choking at each of the connections. JMHO

Quick Reply: Fuel Pressure guage in- flow comparison of fuel filters..