Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

Fuel Pressure Guage?

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2006, 11:27 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Dieseldog800
Hey Phox, do you have any pics of your install? Where did you run your fuel pressure line into the cab at? Did you come off the bottom of the fuel filter housing?
Taking the pressure reading at the bottom of the fuel filetr housing is "post filter" and is the best location to sample - it can tell you if your fuel filter is starting to plug.

Dont believe me?
Old 02-11-2006, 11:34 AM

do you use stainless steel braided fuel line or is there something else?
Yeah, you can use stainless steel braided hose - it really is the safest since youll never have a hose rupture. The problem is due to the amount of vibration from the engine/road the S.S. hose will rub against other things and may cause problems. If you use S.S. make sure you put something over it so that it will not cause you other problems.

that being said, S.S. isnt the only option - you can use hydraulic hose like the stuff pictured above (from NAPA) or even 1/8" air brake hose with 1/4" hose overtop for abrasion resistance. A memeber here, infidel has ran 1/8" brake line in two trucks for ten years and hasnt had a problem.

If you do a search all this stuff has been done to death before.

One more thing - if you tow you should have a Exhaust Temperature Guage (EGT) aka Pyrometer. This is important because even with a stock gauge you can approach engine damaging temperatures. A melted piston is not a good thing. IMho, these trucks should have a Pyrometer installed at the factory.
Old 02-11-2006, 11:40 AM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
I was wondering about putting a fuel pressure guage on my 2001 dodge fuel system. Has anyone done this. I want to be able to see how much fuel pressure that the lift pump is pushing so I won't starve my injection pump. I want to leave the guage on permanantly and mount it somewhere in the cab. Does anyone have info on this and where can I tap into the fuel system to achieve this reading?
Welcome fellow Husker.

A fuel guage is a must. Don't even think about it for another second. Order it now. Let me know if you need help. I'll look you up.

Old 02-11-2006, 12:35 PM

I am in the process of instsalling a FPG and need a pressure source. I am having trouble getting to the bottom of the canister to install the banjo bolt. I have a kit from Diesel manor which says "the recommended source is from the inlet side of the injection pump." Are they saying I need to remove the shrader valve and install the banjo bolt there, or is there another spot on the pump that I can access?

Thanks,
Sam
Old 02-11-2006, 12:53 PM
Administrator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Inlet side of the VP44 is the best place, closest to the expensive pump you are trying to save, but you have to deal with pressure spikes in that location, and you lose the Dealer test port along with a convenient air bleeding location.

I'd say the easiest way to tap the bottom of the fuel filter cannister is to remove it, install the tapped banjo and hoses, then reinstall the cannister.

phox
Old 02-11-2006, 12:54 PM

Thanks, Phox, I'll pull the canister.

Sam
Old 02-11-2006, 01:02 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Fuel Pressure Guage?

I put mine in the cubby hole thats in the dash for change an ect.
Isspro EV Series Mech.