Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

Fuel Pressure Guage??????????

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2003, 05:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Fuel Pressure Guage??????????

Installed new electric carter pump today WOW what a difference. now for the next step fuel pressure guage where do i plug the sending unit and should i go with mech or elect.<br>thank's<br><br>Chris
Old 03-13-2003, 06:35 PM

Re:Fuel Pressure Guage??????????

Don't put toooooo much trust in the carter pump. It still has the plastic bushing that will ware out. Look to do the fuel pressure A.S.A.P. That would let you know what is going on. But it will not stop a pump failure. I believe that the mechanical is more accurate over the electric. To each his own. I run two gages the 7lb pusher and the 15lb main. Overfueled
Old 03-13-2003, 07:18 PM
Banned

I just ordered a mech. Isspro fuel press. gauge. Isspro actualy does not recomend installing one of these in the cab. I can reason with that logic. however I also see that just about everybody here recomends it. Somebody please elaborate. <br>Also Isspro recomends hooking up the gauge with SS braided hose.<br><br>Thanks, Peter
Old 03-13-2003, 07:39 PM

Help me out here. What do you mean &quot;What a difference?&quot; You wouldn't really know unless you had a FP gauge. Don't get me wrong, I'm happy for you if you are happy!. But.....you do need to monitor FP constantly to ensure a healthy lift pump.<br><br>As far as putting Isspro in the cab, I, from what I have read from others experiences, chose to go mechanical. Failure rate on senders for the electrical is almost guaranteed. Howsoever, I did run SS braided line and that and a good gauge, like the Isspro Marine and Permatex #2 may be the key. No isolator. I will take my chances. Others have run this way for over 2 years and no problems.<br><br>Just MHO,<br><br>Roger
Old 03-13-2003, 07:43 PM
Banned

Help me out here one more time. What is an isolator and wherer does one get one? Just so I also know ;-) ???
Old 03-13-2003, 07:52 PM

When you say &quot;Wow what a difference&quot; do you mean it runs much better? I will be putting a new pump in mine this weekend and would love to see some extra power. My pump's not dead yet but it's dying..
By the way, I just installed an ISSPRO IV fuel pressure guage from Wildcat Diesel and it comes with steel braided line for the hookup.
Old 03-13-2003, 08:57 PM

If you run a mechanical gauge you don't need an isolator. You only need an isolator for an electrical gauge. Rod at www.wildcatdiesel.com sells the Isspro with the SS braided line and a needle valve to shut it off at the fuel filter if indeed you ever developed a leak. Not likely tho.
Old 03-13-2003, 09:35 PM

Where on the fuel filter do you install the needle valve, Im looking at the picture in the manual and I cant see where, top or bottom. ???
Old 03-14-2003, 01:15 AM

Racer57, don't you have that backwards? You need an isolator for a mechanical gauge, not electric gauge.
Old 03-14-2003, 03:14 AM

Location: Drive till ya hit a Polar Bear, then go back 50 miles

You'd better get yer butt to Vegas, Gear Seriously though, while I prefer the mechanical setup for simplicity (and if you see erratic readings, its almost certainly the pump versus having to wonder if the sender is out), Westach seems to be building an electric sender that is holding up to the abuse of the VP44 (no personal experience here), and Dakota Digital appears to be building a good sender these days as well. Just out of curiosity, I installed a Dakota Digital about 3 months ago. I attached it direct to the injection pump, with no snubber, with the express intent to break it. Still haven't yet ;D<br><br>Rod
Old 03-14-2003, 03:02 PM

Ram4fun...I believe a mechanical fuel pressure gauage is the best investment you can make..I run a Dipricol, 0-30psi and have been for over a year and half. Ken Jones of Diesel Performance of Utah, 801-791-2328 put together the first &quot;complete&quot; system, which others copy or buy from him today. Ken's kit comes with a banjo bolt, 1/8'' plastic hose, isolator pre-filled with anti-freeze, gauage and connectors...You need not buy anything to install. You need to determine your base line fuel pressures now, in order to tell when something is going wrong. Give him a call and he will set you up.<br><br>Steve
Old 03-14-2003, 11:14 PM

Gear Poet,<br><br>Can you give me some additional info on you FP gauge mount strategy? I'm mounting mine this weekend and it makes a lot of sense to me to use shock absorbing material to mount the sensor.<br><br>Richard (Bull Dog)<br>