Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

Fuel pressure gauge (Not for dodge diesel?)

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2007, 09:23 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Fuel pressure gauge (Not for dodge diesel?)

I was looking at Summit racing at the Autometer 6161 Cobalt 0-30psi fuel pressure gauge, I have 3 others so i wanted to match, and in a note it states

not intended for use on Dodge Diesel,

not sure what it means, and i'm sure i'd need to buy some install kit or something to hook it up, but I don't see why i wouldn't be able to use that gauge on my truck, just didn't make sense to me.
Old 03-10-2007, 09:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I ran into the same problem and called autometer. They said it would be fine to use on mine. If it is a manual gauge use a needle valve in the line to prevent the needle from jumping.
Old 03-10-2007, 09:34 PM

I've got that exact gauge in my truck. Been there for a year and half, and have not a single problem from it. I've got it mounted post filter on the filter cannister. Works good.
Old 03-10-2007, 09:50 PM

okay, thanks for the replies, ordering now! anyone have a link to install on one of these on our trucks? i'll do a search now but sometimes can't find exactly what i'm looking for
Old 03-10-2007, 10:38 PM

On your fuel filter canister, you should have two pipe plugs. The front one is post filter, back one is pre filter. Sending unit just screws into one of those. Find a wire on your head light switch that comes on with the dash, and dims with it. Although with the LED lighting, the dimming is almost non-existant. Find a power wire. I used one in the harness that goes along the steering wheel, but if you got another fuse tap and plugged it into fuse 17, with your edge comp, it would be easier, and you'd have gauges during cranking. Last thing you need is a ground, which I just used the dash frame.
Old 03-11-2007, 12:43 AM

Okay thanks, will do that when it comes in, as for the power, i'll just tap it into what my other 3 gauges are wired up too, one being the headlight's for power and ground is just any metal i could find under the dash, what kind of pressure should i be looking at at idle, normal speed and wot? i've heard anything over 7psi is okay, not sure how accurate that is, from what i've experienced tho i'm sure I need more fuel delivery, so i might add a 2nd aftermarket lift pump, will have to do research on that after I know my real fuel pressure numbers.
Old 03-13-2007, 08:58 PM

gauge installed

Well i got the FP gauge installed, took her for a drive, and I feel a lot better as the pressure didn't change that much, readings were

Idle = 12psi
driving around 10-11 psi
wot comp on 1 = 8-9 psi
wot comp on 5x5=7-8 psi

I'm debating on unplugging the map sensor again, I had it off before, i loved the low end and how much quicker the turbo would spool, but

Are these numbers okay? should I add another pump? or should i just not worry til it drops more than that?

the ONE downside to the install was the autometer steering column gauge pod, it was the absolute worst thing i've bought from them, its currently being held on with electrical tape being wrapped around it and the lower stock piece....anyone know of a better one? gauge is 2 1/8"

Anyways feedback please! and thanks for your help.

attached a photo of the pod, and my truck since i've never posted one
Attached Thumbnails Fuel pressure gauge (Not for dodge diesel?)-truck-001.jpg   Fuel pressure gauge (Not for dodge diesel?)-truck-002.jpg  
Old 03-14-2007, 06:44 PM

bumping for hopefully a response!
Old 03-14-2007, 07:03 PM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Although FP is important it isn't something you need to look at all the time.
Mount the gauge on the lower dash ahead of the 4wd shifter.
Old 03-14-2007, 09:23 PM

I just uploaded a photos (pending approval) of my recent install. I used a single mount next to the parking brake. The screws holding the dash panel on worked great for mounting. Just a temp place till I get a pillar mount and two more gauges..
Old 03-14-2007, 09:36 PM

Yea, today driving around I realized it blocks a lot of my view on the dash, can't see my wait to start light, so i have to peak around it, but I dont' really like the whole put a gauge out in the open look, althought I might resort to it, I've seen some double pods that mount either to the dash or under the dash, I don't really know of a 5th gauge I'd need.....

but anyways, my readings above, are those safe? Looking at ordering a turbo REALLY soon, like, as soon as i figure out which one looking at one of the bombers from piers, or I read a post a while ago about the 64 series, forgot the brand but I'll go look it up, and also thinking about buying a tstpowermax 3 with remote and turning my comp into an edge just for timing, question though, when i do this do i just keep the edge on 1? or off? or 5x5? haven't seen any posts on that, thanks in advance for responses.
Old 03-14-2007, 10:29 PM

Here's what I did with my new autometer..

Hey MColeman, does that FF canister top look familiar? Thanx again..

Last edited by PChouinard; 03-14-2007 at 10:31 PM. Reason: Quick thanx
Old 03-15-2007, 03:03 AM

I suggest tabbing the sending unit in the banjo bolt.

https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/...highlight=FUEL
Old 03-15-2007, 07:39 AM

I suggest tabbing the sending unit in the banjo bolt
Tabbing or tapping? Will there be a different reading there? It should be the same since they're an inch apart I would assume.
Old 03-15-2007, 01:26 PM

Originally Posted by PChouinard
Tabbing or tapping? Will there be a different reading there? It should be the same since they're an inch apart I would assume.
Oh I meant tapping. There wouldn't be a different reading, but I know for the 12v's, tapping in above the fuel filter is only for temporary use. They even sell pre-tapped banjo bolts from genosgarage for the 24v's made specifically for fuel pressure gauges.

Quick Reply: Fuel pressure gauge (Not for dodge diesel?)