Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

Fuel pressure gauge messing up

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2006, 06:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Fuel pressure gauge messing up

My gauge has never acted right since I installed a bigger fuel line kit and bled the system. I think there might be some air in the line from the filter to the isolator. How would I bleed it, just crack the fitting at the isolator while it's running and retighten? The gauge is really sluggish, and varies a lot, from 4 psi to 10, doesn't react at all to the throttle. Worked well when it was first installed, reacted fast and said I had lots of pressure.
Old 04-30-2006, 08:56 PM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Personally I'd just remove the isolator entirely, then you won't have to worry about air in the line.
Old 05-01-2006, 07:40 PM

Tiberman..... I've had the problem twice since I put the isolator on last year about this time. Ran it right over to the shop where I had the gauge installed and they checked with their guage and everything was fine.....So what seems to be happening is that I do not have a full isolator of antifreeze on the guage side....air in that side of the line. So I use a needle (ink jet cartage filler) and squirt antifreeze into the line with it cracked open at the gauge.....If it quits again, I'm taking the isolator out.

Jay
Old 05-01-2006, 07:42 PM

Hey thanks, I'll give that a try. The isolator is coming out if it keeps messing up, but kind of a pain to run a new line up to the gauge and all.
Old 05-01-2006, 11:50 PM

If you remove the isolator, be sure you've got a valve down there so you can turn it off if the line or gauge fails and starts to leak. You'll also need to be able to just crack it open slightly so that the needle doesn't vibrate itself to death.
Old 05-04-2006, 10:20 AM
Banned

Timberman,

If you have one of the cylinder shaped isolators you might encounter intermittent problems all the time. If you have one of the flat pancake style, once you get it completely filled with anti freeze and water you're fine forever. They are as simple and easy as it gets.

Mark @ DPPI
Old 05-04-2006, 10:40 AM
xmr

I had problems with my fuel pressure gauge readings after installing the vulcan big line / pusher kit. I finally figured out that the lift pump was bad. I bought one of the campaign pump kits and my fuel pressure readings went back to normal. The pump that I pulled off looked just like new but it was definitly defective.
Old 05-06-2006, 09:45 AM

I just installed my fuel pressure gauage yesterday. My isolator has a large screw on the fuel side to bleed the line. You bump the starter and let your lift pump run while you loosen the screw. Have something to catch the fuel. The gauge side I cracked the line by the gauge with a towel under it an injected the antifreez from the top side. It checked out with my test gauge.
Old 05-06-2006, 09:49 AM
P.J
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by xmr
I had problems with my fuel pressure gauge readings after installing the vulcan big line / pusher kit. I finally figured out that the lift pump was bad. I bought one of the campaign pump kits and my fuel pressure readings went back to normal. The pump that I pulled off looked just like new but it was definitly defective.
What do you consider normal with that 504 pump? I'm disappointed with mine.