Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

Fuel pressure gauge inside cab (Diesel Smell)

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2003, 01:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Fuel pressure gauge inside cab (Diesel Smell)

I have an ISSPRO fuel pressure gauge in my cab on the pillar. I am running boost tubing to it with fuel in the line. I occassionally smell the diesel fuel and was wondering if I could put Antifreeze in the line from the filter. Will the Antifreeze run back into the fuel line or will it stay in the boost line?

Anyone else have a smell fumes with this setup? I had the SS braided line and it did the same thing sometimes you smell the fuel.

-CM
Old 10-08-2003, 01:17 PM
DRD

Re:Fuel pressure gauge inside cab (Diesel Smell)

I don't think that would be a good idea without an isolator. I don't think you want to chance sending a slug of coolant through your pump/injectors
Old 10-08-2003, 01:17 PM

this is what I used on my wifes 2k. It has anti freeze to the gauge and it has fuel from the pump to the isolator.

It works great...

https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/...threadid=20432

Rick
Old 10-08-2003, 01:48 PM
Banned

Not to be a stick-in-the-mudd, I don't think it is ever a good ideal to allow any type of fuel into your cab. You will do as you see fit, but at least I feel better for warning you. There is a reason racing sanctions do not allow that, besides it being just plain old common sence.
Old 10-08-2003, 02:13 PM

That is the reason I like this isolator...it only has anti freeze and water mix in the small line that goes inside the truck..
Old 10-08-2003, 02:54 PM

Rharveysr where did you get the isolater?

-CM
Old 10-08-2003, 03:53 PM
Administrator / Scooter Bum

Received 47 Likes on 33 Posts

I've been using a stainless steel braided line for my mechanical fuel pressure gauge for over two years.
Solid 16 psi @ idle & no drips, no runs, no smell.
I bought my SS line from Wildcat Diesel Performance when I bought my gauges.
I've heard many folks complaining about broken isolators.

Mine are mounted in the center of the dash.

Trending Topics

Old 10-09-2003, 01:46 AM

Location: Drive till ya hit a Polar Bear, then go back 50 miles

[quote author=y-knot link=board=7;threadid=20718;start=0#msg194449 date=1065638899]
There is a reason racing sanctions do not allow that, besides it being just plain old common sence.
[/quote]

Actually gasoline is whats sanctioned against. Diesel run inside a cabin is just fine, and you still won't find an over-the-road tractor with an electric or isolated fuel pressure gauge. We're having a peak at Rick's spiffy isolator when we geta chance, but we don't hold much hope. We have yet to find a single isolator that works well.

To address the initial question, I'm not sure why you'd be getting a smell of diesel inside the cabin. I'd double check all your fittings. Also, we heavily recommend that you use a liquid pipe sealant at all joins. If you've got a leak, you'd only be the second one in 25 years that I've seen.

Rod
Old 10-09-2003, 09:10 AM

Have an Autometer isolator on my Cuda, so I just went to their site to find the # and found that they reccomend against using their stuff on diesels! Whats'up with that? Diesel too hard on 'em?
Old 10-09-2003, 09:30 AM

Location: Drive till ya hit a Polar Bear, then go back 50 miles

[quote author=tmiller24 link=board=7;threadid=20718;start=0#msg194849 date=1065708624]
Have an Autometer isolator on my Cuda, so I just went to their site to find the # and found that they reccomend against using their stuff on diesels! Whats'up with that? Diesel too hard on 'em?
[/quote]

I'm not sure if its the diesel thats hard on them, or if its the Dodge system that was hard on them. A year or two ago there were a rash of Autometer isolator failures, and Autometer decided to not allow them to be installed on diesel trucks.

Rod
Old 10-09-2003, 09:49 AM

So far we are 2-0 on the isolators. I have installed 2 of these and have not had any problems. Not saying that they are the best thing since sliced bread but we have high hopes

Rick
Old 10-09-2003, 11:56 AM

Well I don't think I have leak. I noticed my tubing is ran where the defrost vent goes so I think when I turn on the A/C the air coming out of the vent has the smell of diesel. I'm running plastic hose to the gauge so I may have to put the SS line back in that I bought from Rod. The only thing bad about the SS line is that it transmits a lot of noise into the cab. I'll try to figure something out.

-CM
Old 10-09-2003, 12:48 PM

[quote author=tmiller24 link=board=7;threadid=20718;start=0#msg194849 date=1065708624]
[/quote]

My buddy spoke with an autometer Rep. at a Auto performance shop that we frequent a few months ago and he said that the diesels fuel pump was to spikey for the autometer gauges to handel or something along those lines
Old 10-09-2003, 01:49 PM

Some OTR trucks have thier ECM's under the dash and they use fuel pumped thru them for cooling.
Old 10-09-2003, 01:51 PM

If you've ever had a guage bellows let go, you know it's not a pretty sight. : A long time ago, I had a oil pressure bellows blow spewing ARCO Graphite all over the carpet of my '77 Granada. 8) ....

Quick Reply: Fuel pressure gauge inside cab (Diesel Smell)