Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

Fuel Pressure Gauge ?

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2007, 02:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Fuel Pressure Gauge ?

Okay guys. i'm pretty sure it's been posted but i can't find what i'm really looking for. My truck has been acting kind of funny lately and my milage has dropped quite a bit in the past few months so i just purchased a cheap 1.5" Jegs 0-30psi fuel pressure gauge to see what going on with the LP. Which i know i need to replace the FF also, but haven't had the time. Maybe later this week since i finally got a couple days off. I've been trying to save up the money to get a set of Isspro's but it's taking longer than originally planned because i keep getting unexpected expenses. I'll still get them just instead of FP i'll get a tranny temp gauge now. Anyways, i'm still fairly new to diesels and i have about $40 left to work with as far as installing this gauge, so cheapest route possible right now. Mainly i'm just wanting to know if i can just connect the pressure line straight to the schraider valve on the vp44 where the dust cap is now if i remove the valve core because i keep seeing everyone using banjo bolts instead? Which it doesn't bother me if i have to put a banjo bolt in it's place, just wandering. Then i'm going to put either a needle or ball valve inline so incase of a leak it can be turned off. Please help me out on your guys set up and pics would be great.
Old 10-17-2007, 05:29 PM

Remove the valve core from the schreader valve,

There is brass adapters in the the hardware store that will mate to the schreader valve, ( have to keep diging through the box's ) I found a VERY short coupler ( 2 female nuts , with short copper tube ) and used an adapter to compression fitting ( 1/8 ) copper,
May have to get the tubing from Napa or buy a kit, about 10 bucks...
but still need the shreader valve adapter ( I think )

I mounted mine with a clamp, see pic. ( long term temperory.
https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/...t_000_0116.jpg
Old 10-18-2007, 01:06 PM

hey thanks for the info. i decided to just go ahead and got a banjo bolt since i had to pay more for the shipping and handling, than the price of the gauge, i figured might as well get the bolt also and make it worth the shipping. A $15 gauge cost me another $20 to ship it, so i went ahead and got the banjo bolt and an extra fuel filter, since it still cost the same to ship. Yeah I was racking my brain trying to figure out where to mount this gauge when it gets here. The person that had the truck before removed the factory cigarette lighter for some reason so i have a hole in the dash now where it used to be and it's will make a perfect mount. I'll just have to ream the hole out a little bit and it should fit there perfectly.
Old 10-23-2007, 07:54 PM

Well got the gauge installed this afternoon, looks great i think. Only two problems, one it leaks so i got to get it replumbed a little bit better, might just go to john deere and have them make me and pressure fitted hose and the other is the short moment i had it on it was only showing 7psi at idle. Hopefully i doesn't drop below 5psi normal driving because i hardly ever drive wide open, but it looks like i might have to start saving for a new LP pretty quick. Makes me wonder how long i've been driving it like that though. I think it looks pretty good mounted in the dash where the factory cigarette lighter was though, the hole had to be made about a 1/4 inch larger, but in all, it looks pretty good.

Old 10-23-2007, 11:48 PM

Originally Posted by rustybudweiser
it looks like i might have to start saving for a new LP pretty quick.
Thats what normally happens when people can see what their fuel pressure is=P Please tell me you did the fuel filter also while you were at it? If not quit posting and go change that thing!
Old 10-24-2007, 10:31 AM

it got dark on me last night by the time i got the gauge installed since i don't have a garage and did it in our driveway. i didn't have the right size socket for my ff cap and i can't get it off with a pair of channel locks without trying to roundoff, so i got to get the right size socket tonight after i get off and see if i can get the cap off. However i don't get the chance to do it until Saturday. Think the PO got it a little too tight so hopefully i don't strip it out trying to get it off.
Old 10-24-2007, 08:24 PM

well i got my gauge plumbed a little bit better and working right now. Yeah i'm kinda frusturated though. lol. i bet anyone can guess why too? I got in turned the key and cycled the LP to see wat kind of pressure i was getting. I got right at 10-11 psi with just the lp running, but then drops to about 7 psi at idle. If i go drive around it drops to right at 4.5-5 psi at 45mph, and at higher RPM's/WOT i can pull it clear down to 0 psi. So deffinitely a new lift pump is in the future, hopefully i can muster up the money soon so i don't do much more damage. Just scares me not knowing how long it been less than 5 psi, specially since this is my DD and drive roughly 1000 miles a month on interstate at 2000+ rpms for 4-5 hours on end. So yeah i just really hope i didn't do too much damage already because i don't have the money for a new vp44, i don't even have the money right now for a new lp, but i'll have to figure it out somehow.