Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

Fuel Pressure Gauge

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2007, 11:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Fuel Pressure Gauge

Does anyone have any pics on where you hooked up the fuel pressure sender for a fuel pressure gauge?

Are there any adapter fittings that i will need to hook up the fuel pressure sender?

Are the gassers fuel pressure gauges the same as the diesel fuel pressure gauges?
Old 05-31-2007, 06:57 AM
GFB

Originally Posted by EverydayDiesel
Does anyone have any pics on where you hooked up the fuel pressure sender for a fuel pressure gauge?

Are there any adapter fittings that i will need to hook up the fuel pressure sender?

Are the gassers fuel pressure gauges the same as the diesel fuel pressure gauges?
Just get a mechanical one with an isolator. Not sure why, but on summit's webpage it says the autometer electronic gauges with senders are not for dodge diesel trucks. I did the ISSPRO with isolator and used the factory test port for a pressure source.
Old 05-31-2007, 07:21 AM

Most people either use the factory test port which is located near the injection pump, our use banjos that are threaded for a test fitting. I also am running an ISSPRO fuel pressure gauge, but I do not use an isolator. I used to have an isolator, but it failed and caused me to think bad things were happing to my truck.

I believe the DTR and Geno's Garage stores sell the parts you need to monitor your fuel pressure.

HTHs,
Joe
Old 05-31-2007, 11:10 AM

is there anything wrong with running an electric gauge?
Old 05-31-2007, 02:02 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
No, other than when you see zero pressure you have to test if this is a bad sender unit or the pressure is indeed zero. For that you still have to use a second mechanical gauge. Plus, electric is usually more expensive. On the upside, electric is neater to install (no fuel feed into the cab).
-P
Old 05-31-2007, 03:12 PM

Originally Posted by PaulDaisy
No, other than when you see zero pressure you have to test if this is a bad sender unit or the pressure is indeed zero. For that you still have to use a second mechanical gauge. . .
Exactly.

If you want the most reliable gauge set up, don't use an isolator and don't use an electric gauge with a sending unit. Like Paul said, when ever you get an out-of-normal reading, you'll always have to check to make sure your isolator or sending unit isn't bad.

I run mechanical fuel, oil, and water temp gauges. For the fuel gauge I used a rubber line (from Geno's Garage) from the test port on the pump a point on the fender, then from the fender I run 1/8 copper tubing to the gauge under the dash.
Old 05-31-2007, 04:09 PM

I ran a teflon tube from the fuel filter housing to the gauge in the cab, no isolator. Never had any problems with the setup. And, I used a "water" pressure gauge, the whole setup cost me like $15.
-P
Old 06-05-2007, 08:44 AM

what if i take a "T" under the hood and make one side of the "T" go to the electric fuel pressure sender and the other side go to a mechanical gauge under the hood. That way if it reads zero all I have to do is pop the hood and look at the mechanical gauge under the hood.

Is there anything wrong with that setup? other then the price?
Old 06-05-2007, 09:00 AM

it doenst look like mechanical is that much cheaper if any after you buy the gauge, isolator, fuel extension, and banjo fitting. I may just go electrical with a T and have a cheap mechanical gauge under the hood
Old 06-05-2007, 02:19 PM

I bought a mech gauge from the surpluscenter.com for $7 and had a piece of hose that was laying around. The whole setup cost me less than $20, including the needle valve that allows to shut off fuel to the gauge in the unlikely event of a leak in the cabin. You don't need an isolator, its a waste of money and will break through in a year anyway. Don't bother.
-P