Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

Fuel Pressure Gauge

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2007, 02:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Fuel Pressure Gauge

I would like to fit a fuel pressure gauge. I am on a tight budget but would like it to perform well and look good too.

Is there an article somewhere (preferably with photo's) that can show me how to do this? Where do I get the components I will need to do this?

Please assume that I have no knowledge and little engineering skill - because that is in fact true!

Help Steve T
Old 05-15-2007, 03:10 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Welcome to DTR!

Need to know what you have for a truck?

Cheapest way would probably be a steering wheel pod for one gauge..... see classifieds for 2nd gens.
Than an autometer electric gauge. I prefer mechanical gauges for PF but the Electrics work, and are less expensive. Had one of these a few yrs ago...served me well.

Here is the ad (includes a gauge). Have not priced this sort of thing lately so don't know if a good price??
https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/...ct=10610&cat=8

Or just an electric gauge mounted under the dash in a cheap gauge holder?
http://www.autometer.com/

RJ
Old 05-15-2007, 04:11 PM

I got my FP gauge from Genos Garage along with the single gauge housing. I too was concerned about spending too much. Genos, at the time, had the best price. I got it and then I was able to install it with the help of the actual salesperson that wrote up the sales. I was out underneath the hood and the salesperson was on the phone with me step by step.
Old 05-15-2007, 05:26 PM

Steve, if you dont mind fuel in the cab...a FP guage can be done very cheaply ($60 or less)....depending on the type of guage you want.
Old 05-15-2007, 06:53 PM

Thanks for the help so far. The truck is an 2001. Does this make a difference to anything?
Old 05-15-2007, 07:19 PM

Originally Posted by parasteve
Thanks for the help so far. The truck is an 2001. Does this make a difference to anything?

Yes it can make a difference. It also depends on how you want to install your guage. I have posted pics a number of times, or you can PM me your e-mail address.
Old 05-15-2007, 08:23 PM

I found a nice fuel pressure gauge kit for sale on e-bay. you will also find if you look around, also on e-bay a nice gauge mounting ring that fits in the space next to the radio (just to the right) that you store things in. You remove the instrument bezel (held in with clips, very easy to remove and re install) and remove the storage cup, screw in the gauge mount ring. Very nice neat install if you only plan on installing one gauge.
Old 05-15-2007, 08:55 PM
GFB

Geno's will give you that piece that mounts a guage beside the radio with a gauge purchase for free. The cheapest way would be a tapped banjo bolt and run a line all the way up to a mechanical gauge.
Old 05-16-2007, 01:03 AM

Originally Posted by GFB
Geno's will give you that piece that mounts a guage beside the radio with a gauge purchase for free. The cheapest way would be a tapped banjo bolt and run a line all the way up to a mechanical gauge.
Good advice. I'd like to add that you're going to want a ball valve or needle valve also- just open it enough to get a reading. When I hooked up my fp guage I also installed a line kit which included the pickup for the guage and actually got decent fuel pressure with just an oem pump and the bigger lines/ fittings. Check out Vulcan Performance or Geno's for a line kit if you want to improve fuel pressure before you find out how bad it is =P
Originally Posted by Dr. Evil
Yes it can make a difference. It also depends on how you want to install your guage. I have posted pics a number of times, or you can PM me your e-mail address.
Thats awfully nice of you Dr- always on top these threads. I'd give you some more rep points if I could =P
Old 05-16-2007, 01:17 PM

Smile

The e-bay link for the kit mentioned earlier is:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/98-5-...12640888QQrdZ1

The nice thing about this kit is every thing is included. Ball valve, threaded banjo bolt, gauge, etc. Check it out it is $68.00 not bad! mine works great!
Old 05-16-2007, 01:37 PM

Steve, since I havent received a PM yet, heres some pics that cover the basics for your install:

Parts - showing tapped banjo bolt and needle valve (this is for a 2001 truck):

Install showing bottom of fuel filter housing (obviously, the rubber line goes to the guage in the cab):

Alternate install using test port on the VP-44:

Possible way to mount the guage in the cab:

This is just the basics....can provide more on request.
Old 05-16-2007, 09:14 PM

Thanks to everyone for he information. I think I have enough to work with now. Sorry I did not reply sooner my access to the internet is intermittent.

cheers Steve T