Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

fuel only?

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2009, 11:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
fuel only?

if you are spraying water to cool things down, are you still "fuel only"? Does water add hp? Or is it just water/meth that adds hp and considered a "power added"?
Old 02-03-2009, 12:01 AM

water cools egts/ water,merh cools and adds power. depending on the water/meth mixture.
Old 02-03-2009, 02:05 PM

I wonder what it depends on. imo if you spray it straight on the intercooler all ur doing is bringing the intake temps down and raising the volume of air going into the cylinders which helps horsepower. the water/ meth kit again helps horsepower almost the same way so either way i think ur not going to be fuel only
Old 02-03-2009, 04:58 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I would think injecting anything other than diesel would be considered a power adder and take you out of fuel only.
Old 02-03-2009, 05:09 PM

Originally Posted by 97 D-Tec
imo if you spray it straight on the intercooler all ur doing is bringing the intake temps down and raising the volume of air going into the cylinders which helps horsepower.
That would be a water to air intercooler.

IMO, if you are adding anything other than diesel, you are no longer fuel only.
Old 02-03-2009, 05:15 PM
Administrator

Received 52 Likes on 50 Posts
Well, we have had this discussion before here on DTR.

FWIW,.......I have been running water injection systems on my 1996 Dodge CTD 12 valve for five years now. I started with an early "Snow" System and now have a "Scheid Water Injection System." Right now, I run ONLY distilled water with a "Anti-Rust and Water Pump Lubricant" and I have never seen ANY horespower gain from that at all! Now, in the past, when I had that early "Snow Water Injection System", I ran a water/methanol mixture and did see a maximum of about 40 H.P. with the mixture I ran. However, with my high mechanical timing (24+ degrees) on my 96' Dodge CTD 12 valve, with the P-7100 fuel pump, I had TERRIBLE "detonation" at high RPM, so at that point I stopped running the methanol! This does not seem to be as big a problem on the later 1998.5-2002 Dodge CTD 24 valve trucks or the 2003-2008 Dodge CTD CR Trucks, as they have the electronic timing. But, I do know one member here, namely, Rpainter, who has a Dodge CTD CR Truck and runs a water injection system who has also had the "detonation" like I have. I run water injection to help keep my engine cool.

I drag race alot and have run in "#2 fuel only" classes, AND run the water with no problems from any of the sanctioning bodies. But there are some who swear that water is a power adder, but I respectfully disagree with that.
I guess the debate will continue on it!

---------
John_P
Old 02-03-2009, 06:00 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I think in most cases water only injection is considered more protection that a power adder. I have a slightly modded truck and sled pulling I would hate to see the egt's without water. and if it is pure water with anti-rust it is not a power adder since water decreases timing so in a sense it would take a little power away.
Old 02-04-2009, 07:15 AM
Administrator

Originally Posted by Rpainter
I think in most cases water only injection is considered more protection that a power adder. I have a slightly modded truck and sled pulling I would hate to see the egt's without water. and if it is pure water with anti-rust it is not a power adder since water decreases timing so in a sense it would take a little power away.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Good point Robert! Like you, my EGT'S would be alot higher without the water injection too.
Old 02-04-2009, 05:41 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
The last time I went drag racing Snow had a truck with just water meth and it ran almost a full second faster with the system turned on, than it did with it off. So to me that would indicate a performance gain.
Old 02-04-2009, 06:51 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Bluedually4x4
The last time I went drag racing Snow had a truck with just water meth and it ran almost a full second faster with the system turned on, than it did with it off. So to me that would indicate a performance gain.
but most of the racing and sled pulling bodies around here specify that water only to be injected and water decreases timing so it is a power decreaser. a full second faster is what 150 hp gain? I would like to see a video of that
Old 02-05-2009, 10:30 AM
Administrator

Originally Posted by Bluedually4x4
------------------------------------------------------------------------
No offense to you Sir, but you said it yourself,.... "Snow had a truck with just WATER/METH and it ran almost a full second faster with the system turned on, than it did with it off.."

That is exactly right, it SHOULD run faster with a mixture of water/methanol.
It should also have more H.P./TQ. on the dyno too. I am trying to tell you guys that on my truck WITH JUST DISTILLED WATER, that I see no increase in H.P. or lower E.T.'s the drag strip. As I also pointed out in my first post here, I also saw about a 40 H.P. increase when running a very "conservative" mixture of water WITH METHANOL.

---------
John_P