Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

Fuel Guage Isolator

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2006, 12:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Fuel Guage Isolator

Where do some of you guys mount your fuel guage isolator?It's quite tight in the 2001 CTD engine compartment.Anyone have photos?Thanks in advance.
Old 08-24-2006, 01:10 PM

The easiest way I found is just do away with the isolator. It's a lot less heartache. I've never had a leak and everyone else I know is doing the samething and haven't had a problem. Just a suggestion.

Eric
Old 08-24-2006, 01:40 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by EGaskamp
The easiest way I found is just do away with the isolator. It's a lot less heartache. I've never had a leak and everyone else I know is doing the samething and haven't had a problem. Just a suggestion.

Eric

if ur talkin about fuel pressure

yup, what he said, that 129 dollar piece of crap was a waste of time, money and gave me worse readin than havin no fuel pressure gauge at all. A purely mechanical setup (i know from experience and from listenin to others on here ) is by far the easiest and most effective way to go...

Rick
Old 08-24-2006, 01:50 PM

I agree with the gentlemen above. I've had my mech. gauge (no isolator) for about a year with absolutely NO problems.

Brad
Old 08-24-2006, 02:13 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by MoparDude
Where do some of you guys mount your fuel guage isolator?
If I had one, I'd mount it in my trash can

Run the fuel line right into the cab. Just mount a needle valve on the line so you can...
1- Shut it off it ever needed
2- Restrict flow to the gauge to eliminate needle vibration, should it occur. Gauges require very little flow to read accurately... being a closed system.

RJ
Old 08-24-2006, 02:35 PM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Best place to mount it is in the trash, better yet don't waste your money on one.
Seems like 99% of the problems people have with their fuel pressure gauges are due to isolators.
Why have a gauge that fails more often than the system it's supposed to monitor?
Old 08-24-2006, 05:15 PM

Boy! I should have checked before I bought the setup Anyway do I have to bleed the line of fuel up to the guage? If I dont use the isolater.
Old 08-24-2006, 05:17 PM

MoparDude, not exactly the answers I was hoping to see either. Oh well, I guess I will have to learn the hard way cuz I am planning to put one in too. One thing I am confused about is why everyone is saying you don't need to bleed the line when you install it. This makes no sense to me. How can the gauge give the same reading with air in the lines vs. no air??? Anyone?

Also does anyone have good wiring instructions for the fuel, boost, and pyro gauges (dipricol)? The ones I have found are vague.
Old 08-24-2006, 05:54 PM

Heres a common spot to mount it.. proper installation goes a long way.. Been fine for about a year so far..

Old 08-24-2006, 06:02 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by MoparDude
Boy! I should have checked before I bought the setup Anyway do I have to bleed the line of fuel up to the guage? If I dont use the isolater.
No need to bleed. Pressure is pressure. Just drive it like you stole it.

I posted this in another thread and thought you guys would like it.;

What to do with an isolator. Take the isolator out, fill it with the proper fluid, put in a vise and close vise until fluid drips on floor, turn 3 full turns more. Remove from vise, lay on concrete, smack with 3 pound hammer until you can't recognize it as an isolator. Drop into bottom of the trash can, take trash to curb. Forget some moron salesman ever sold you the isolator.
Old 08-24-2006, 06:36 PM
GSP

I mounted my issolator right next to the hood hinge on that 45 degree angle piece of sheet metal. I used a piece of 1" aluminum angle metal and mounted that to the bottom of the sheet metal and then mounted the issolator to that.

Mine has worked great for 2 years so far. I used antifreeze in the cab side line. Its a little more hassle to install , thats why everyone saws to throw it in the trash. Pateints my boy LOL . Actually its pretty easy to install.

If you look at that red truck pic , Mine is mounted at the top right of the photo in that open space next to that rubber groumet and wires just to the right . Its above and to the right, where that 45 degree angle of sheet metal by the hood hinge is. Easy to see and access.
Old 08-24-2006, 06:56 PM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
GSP, have you checked to see if it's still just antifreeze on the gauge side of the isolator?

All of the isolators I've looked at on diesel engine fuel pressure systems had a blown diaphragm letting fuel into the cab without the owner's knowledge. In other words an expensive coupling. My feeling is that most fail within the first 1000 miles.

In some states it's the law that fuel pressure gauges come with an isolator, but there is no law you have to use it. This is why some salesmen insist that you buy an isolator. Solution is to buy your gauge online from another state.
Old 08-24-2006, 07:15 PM
GSP

Talking

Infedel, Nope mine aint blown , Green on one side and clear on the other. If I have a problem with it I will toss it in the trash , Ok? . I had the dang thing so I used it. Wasnt that big a deal to use it or omit it.

How is your set up ? Did you just run the fuel line staight into the cab too the guage? I was going to do that(omit issolator) but since the kit included it I installed it. The issolater might even make the guage read 2 psi lower than omitting it.

Rick