Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

Fuel Gauge Isolater-Yea or Nay

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2007, 04:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Fuel Gauge Isolater-Yea or Nay

Opinions on the use of a fuel gauge Isolator for a Mechanical gauge the will be mounted either on the pillar or dash. Using Autometer gauge so it matches the rest of the gauges in the truck.
Old 08-26-2007, 05:37 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Always use an isolator. Nothing worse than having diesel leak in the cab while youre trying to drive.

No, isolators are not as reliable as going direct, but way safer in the long run.
Old 08-26-2007, 06:19 PM
Administrator / Scooter Bum

Received 47 Likes on 33 Posts
I installed my mechanical fuel pressure gauge on the dashboard with no isolator in January of 2000.
115,000 miles later...still haven't had a single drip of fuel in the truck.

Old 08-26-2007, 06:26 PM

I tried the isolators deal, didn't work to good so i've been running it strait to the gauge with a 1/8 nylon boost tube kit for a long time on my truck and a few customers trucks, no problems with leaks at all, just wrap the threads good with some teflon tape and you should be fine.
Old 08-26-2007, 06:30 PM

I installed my gauges in March 2003. No isolator on the fuel pressure gauge. Ran it with stainless braided line. No problems what so ever in over 4 years.
Old 08-26-2007, 06:33 PM

Originally Posted by dzlfarmboy
I tried the isolators deal, didn't work to good so i've been running it strait to the gauge with a 1/8 nylon boost tube kit for a long time on my truck and a few customers trucks, no problems with leaks at all, just wrap the threads good with some teflon tape and you should be fine.
With your racing experience I respect you're opinion. Only thing is I have found diesel will weep past teflon tape. Permatex #2 seems to hold it back a little better IMO, but hey, I dont have 790Hp so what do i know..

Also, there have been complaints in the past from people running steel braided line all the way to the gauge. Some people have experienced a rattling noise being transferred by the line to the gauge.

There is no right or wrong here, just take your gamble..
Old 08-26-2007, 07:11 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I just put a gauge in my buddies rig with an isolator. Once I got it installed correctly it worked perfect and will as long as no leak develops. I think it's probably better to not have fuel in the cab although mine is that way and have not had any trouble in more than a year.

Trending Topics

Old 08-26-2007, 07:16 PM
Administrator / Scooter Bum

Received 47 Likes on 33 Posts
Originally Posted by Shortshift
Also, there have been complaints in the past from people running steel braided line all the way to the gauge. Some people have experienced a rattling noise being transferred by the line to the gauge.
That's what the $5.00 needle valve is for.

As for the teflon tape, I don't use it on anything in my fuel system.
Too easy for a little sliver to get into the Injection pump.
I use a bit of Teflon paste ONLY on the NPT fittings, all AN fittings are designed to be fitted without sealant.
Old 08-26-2007, 07:50 PM

Originally Posted by Shortshift
With your racing experience I respect you're opinion. Only thing is I have found diesel will weep past teflon tape. Permatex #2 seems to hold it back a little better IMO, but hey, I dont have 790Hp so what do i know..

There is no right or wrong here, just take your gamble..
To keep the rattling from occurring, I took about 3 feet of clear plastic tubing and split it down the middle, put it over the braided line in the cab and secured it with zip ties. No rattles in 4 years.

I was a little worried about not using a isolator, but after several reassurances from the seller, I decided to go without. I'm glad I did. My system is trouble free, and I don't have to mess with isolators.
Old 08-26-2007, 07:53 PM

I suspect I got my setup from the same place Shovelhead did. I have the same needle valve and line on mine. Same ammount of problems too, which is zero.
Old 08-26-2007, 08:08 PM

Originally Posted by erics76
To keep the rattling from occurring, I took about 3 feet of clear plastic tubing and split it down the middle, put it over the braided line in the cab and secured it with zip ties. No rattles in 4 years.

I was a little worried about not using a isolator, but after several reassurances from the seller, I decided to go without. I'm glad I did. My system is trouble free, and I don't have to mess with isolators.
Really? I wouldn't think insulating the steel house would take the rattling out it's usually caused by the pulses from the injection pump. You can notice how the pulsations change with RPM injected.
Old 08-26-2007, 08:15 PM

Originally Posted by dzlfarmboy
Really? I wouldn't think insulating the steel house would take the rattling out it's usually caused by the pulses from the injection pump. You can notice how the pulsations change with RPM injected.
I insulated it to keep the line from rattling around in the dash. I can hear a faint rattle when I have the radio and a/c off and the windows up. Really have to listen to hear it. Since there is no time when all 3 of those things are happening, it's never bothered me. If that sound is enough to bother someone, then the sound of the engine should drive them crazy. I always thought it was the boost line rattling in the dash.
Old 08-26-2007, 08:38 PM

My isolator work fine for a year, then i replaced a pump i didnt have to because the isolator started to stick. I dealt with problems for a while till i ditched it and put the walbro on and dont even look at that gauge anymore. Just my experience. Its pretty much what ever you feel like, some have no problems and some have them.
Old 08-26-2007, 08:38 PM

Originally Posted by erics76
I insulated it to keep the line from rattling around in the dash. I can hear a faint rattle when I have the radio and a/c off and the windows up. Really have to listen to hear it. Since there is no time when all 3 of those things are happening, it's never bothered me. If that sound is enough to bother someone, then the sound of the engine should drive them crazy. I always thought it was the boost line rattling in the dash.
I can't get enough of how the motor sounds but i've had mine and some others rattle real bad when reading from between the injection pump and fuel filter, but if you put snubber or a shut off valve and barily crack it open it gets rid of the gauge rattle.
Old 08-26-2007, 08:57 PM

thats a big

H E DOUBLE HOCKEY STICK no! i had mine removed, fuel pressure readings were very innacurate.. just run it into the cab... and use some good thread sealer..

RIck

Pics of FP gauge setup in my gallery...

Quick Reply: Fuel Gauge Isolater-Yea or Nay