Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

Front mud flap mounting..

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2003, 11:33 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Front mud flap mounting..

I am going to add front mud flaps to my truck but got to wondering what is the best way to mount them? I didnt want to add any new holes to rust or anything if possible..<br><br>My truck has a wheel well liners (front only)... Could you use re-use the holes where this liner is mounted? It looks like it has a plastic pop-rivot holding it in, but I dont know for sure..<br><br>I prefer to use bolts/nuts.. Can you buy something that will hold the nut in place inside of the fender once they are removed? (to keep them from dropping on the ground)<br><br>Do self tapping screws hold well? Will they loosen up/back out after a while or easily strip out??<br><br><br>thanks<br><br><br>
Old 07-21-2003, 03:33 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re:Front mud flap mounting..

[quote author=Gary - KJ6Q link=board=7;threadid=17352;start=0#162308 date=1058805586]<br>Spend a little extra, and use stainless steel mounting hardware - apply silicon caulk to the mounting holes and screws, and have at it - the screws will do just fine, and potential rusting will be minimized if you do the above - I've never had problems with loosening on flaps and similar stuff I've mounted this way - or rusting, but I don't live in the rust belt, either...<br>[/quote]<br><br>Ditto here. I use stainless steel self-tapping screws and drill a small pilot hole, screw it part of the way in, then back it out, fill the hole with clear silicone caulk, and run the screw all the way in until it's snug but not hard enough to make it spin in the hole. The mud flaps on my current truck have been attached like that for a year with no signs of rust, and on the previous truck they were on there for three years with no signs of rust.
Old 07-22-2003, 05:52 AM

Hmmm.... silicone.. what a good idea..<br><br><br>thanks<br><br>brian
Old 07-22-2003, 06:53 AM

I mounted my flaps into the fender liner, without touching the metal, using self-tapping screws. They have been there for over a year now.
Old 07-23-2003, 12:19 AM

I mounted mine in the fender liner using #10 stainless bolts and nuts with stainless fender washers under the bolt heads and stainless regular washers under the stainless lock-nuts. Didn't want them pulling through the liner nor the flaps.<br><br>Stan
Old 07-23-2003, 06:59 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I use a thick spray lubricant for corrosion protection when drilling into the body or any painted metal for that matter. I use either LPS 3 or a good quality motorcycle chain lube. Penetrates and is very tacky so it doesn't come off very easily. Been doing this for years without any problems.<br><br>MikeyB