Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

Front leveling kit for 01.5 1 ton 2wd

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2005, 08:26 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Front leveling kit for 01.5 1 ton 2wd

My problem is, due to the suspensoin rake of this truck (which I actually like) and the longer bed, my 5er is an inch closer to the tailgate (5" clear) than my 1500 short bed that is 2 inches higher (6" clear). The hitch height in the 3500 is perfect and the trailer sits level. On the 1500 the trailer sits a bit nose high so I didn't want to fix this the cheap way and raise the hitch (or lower the pin box).
I'm thinking a small leveling kit might help out. I did a quick search but the stuff I found was for 4x4s running bigger tires.
I'm looking at the Daystar 1 1/2 inch lift coil spring spacers KC09103. I am hoping it would be just enough and not require new shocks (just replaced 'em).
The big question is...how do these things work out on a 2wd. Do they hold up under the weight of the CTD? I'm about to wrap up some front end repairs and would do this project before getting the front end lined up.
So far this truck is a BLAST! I should'a got one of these thing years ago!
Thanks for any input.
Old 07-21-2005, 01:06 AM

Hey BlueRam I have run into the same problems. Cummins 2wd are kinda a rare breed. I have been looking for the same solution for a while. Mostly for the looks but towing the 5er is still a concern. Let me know if you have any luck
Old 07-21-2005, 08:13 AM

Hi Morology,
After I made the original post I ended up using the Google search of this site (the regular search was MIA yesterday) just looking for Daystar. I found some posts from signature600 and gamiller31 from last September. Looks like they both have 2nd gen trucks and the 2" is the max thickness spacer. 2-1/2" requires a different control arm. I'd go for the 1-1/2" myself. Durability doesn't seem to be an issue with the plastic.
I'll probably try to do the job with a spring compressor and try to not remove the ball joint. Don't know if that is possible though.

On Edit...
I found this thread dealing with installation of the spacers on a 2wd. Looks like separating the B.J. is not that big a deal.
https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/...threadid=57452
Old 07-21-2005, 02:32 PM

I installed the 1.5 inch daystar spacers on my truck. Leveled
it out pretty good. Sits slightly low in the front still , but is
perfectly level with the trailer hooked up.
Old 07-21-2005, 06:25 PM

I'm in the midst of doing mine by replacing the springs. I ordered new springs, 2" over stock, and will be replacing the shocks too! My front springs are sagging badly ... can't wait to do the install. I'll post before and after pics when it's done!
Old 07-22-2005, 01:44 PM

Thanks for the feedback Dieselcamper.
I'd be interested to hear your exprience piperca. Where are the springs from? I replaced the front springs in my 1500 4x4 with Offroad 023, 024 combo which raised it a couple of inches but I figured the CTD had the strongest spings available (stock) so I didn't bother to check into a spring change.
Thanks again.
SteveB
Old 07-22-2005, 03:26 PM

I ordered the springs form CSS (www.coilsprings.com). Paid just under $200 for the pair. They are making them 2" over stock, but the stock rate. I just ran into a slight glitch ... I guess the spring on the passenger's side of my vehicle is the wrong spring/ part number, so I'm on a quest to find out what the correct part number is. CSS are looking into it too, so I should have the problem resolved soon.

There is a member by the name of Cowhand who knows his stuff about suspension (he's helped me considerably). Hopefully he'll see your post and chime in.

I'll let you know how the project turns out.

Cheers,
Andrew
Old 07-22-2005, 05:37 PM

Speak of the devil...and here he comes!!

I'd go with the springs if you can....or if you want, the 1-1/2" spacers!!

The shocks could be a problem though...I had to get new ones, but you may/may not have to. With my lift, to get the stock front shocks bolted in, I had to have 3 buddies stand on the bumper while I put the bolt in

Like I said, I would go with the springs before th spacers if you can...I'm not saying there is anything wrong with the spacers, though, I have them on mine, but I think I'd like the springs better anyway.

As soon as piperca gets his in, I hope he lets us all know if they were worth it so I can decide if I should buy a set

Chris
Old 07-22-2005, 08:17 PM

I shall let all who care to, sip from the Holy Grail!
... Just as soon as I figure out what the hell I'm doing!!!
Old 07-25-2005, 08:20 AM

Pics are good, too. It gives a bit of incentive.

piperca, did you give them the DC part # off your stock springs or did you just fill out the quote form and let them figure out the spring rating?

Chris, did you need a spring compressor to do yours?

SteveB