Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

Front Door Speakers, What Fits?

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2006, 06:01 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by P.J
I'm gonna say YES. The harness looked like any other stereo harness I have come in contact with. It's when you get in to the front doors that the head scratching begins. In fact, I was concerned when first inspecing my wiring, thinking to myself "there isn't enough wires back here!".
I'll take a look at the back of my non-Infinity stock head unit tonight, maybe post a pic of where the connector goes, and then Phil should be able to figure out based on that and whether it matches your Infinity unit whether they're the same or not.
Old 01-13-2006, 06:06 PM

Originally Posted by Rare1
Yet, I have questions:
My Infinity system 4 door speakers work, but not much sound out of the rear doors. My A-pillar tweets don't work. Is this because the front door amps are bad?
Probably.

Third, I don't know speakers. With your new 4-way Kenwoods how does each part get the right signal? Does the door amp do it or does the speaker have crossovers built in?
The Kenwoods should have some sort of crossover built in to them. I think on the stock Infinity system that's handled by the amp unit, though.

Fourth, what would be the result if I replaced all six speakers and wired directly to the original head unit, deleting the door amps?
Really, if I was going to go to that much trouble on the stuff that's hard to get to and mess with, I'd just put a new head unit in too. It's the easiest part of the thing to remove/replace.
Old 01-13-2006, 07:37 PM
P.J
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by jfpointer
I'll take a look at the back of my non-Infinity stock head unit tonight, maybe post a pic of where the connector goes, and then Phil should be able to figure out based on that and whether it matches your Infinity unit whether they're the same or not.

I'm confused now. I'm Phil too, but I think your referring to Aggie?

I chucked my stock headunit, but I remember what it looks like. I have the pages out of the FSM that shows the wiring if anyone wants some light reading.
Old 01-13-2006, 09:45 PM

Originally Posted by P.J
I'm confused now. I'm Phil too, but I think your referring to Aggie?

I chucked my stock headunit, but I remember what it looks like. I have the pages out of the FSM that shows the wiring if anyone wants some light reading.
Yeah, I didn't know you were Phil, too. Stock non-Infinity head unit actually has two connectors, both with a single row of 7 pins. One black, one gray. I took pictures, but I'm feeling too lazy to upload them tonight.
Old 01-13-2006, 10:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Don't worry about uploading anything. All the head units plug into the same harness.
Old 01-14-2006, 04:22 AM

Ok I'm thinking I'm slower than I orginally thought. So PJ your using the factory amps on the new front spkrs, and didnt do anything to the factory tweeters?
I just ordered a new headunit as well. I built brackets to mount a 2 channel amp on one side and a 4 ch amp on the other side. (under the front seats.) 4 ch will power the door spkrs, ( still trying to figure out how I want to tie in the tweets) and the 2ch is going to run my 2 10" JBLs in the subbox I built under the seat that still has a passenger side storage compartment. (pics in sig)

As far as all those wires, I also have the FSM and some of the "extra" wires are also inputs from the radio choke relay. PITA Infinity system!

PJ IIRC the pwr ant wire, is the +12V trigger to the radio choke relay. 12V on this wires activates the relay sending the 12V from fuse 4 in the junction block to the spkr amps. In a 2001 FSM its page 8W-47-7
Old 01-14-2006, 08:20 AM
P.J
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by jfpointer
Yeah, I didn't know you were Phil, too. Stock non-Infinity head unit actually has two connectors, both with a single row of 7 pins. One black, one gray. I took pictures, but I'm feeling too lazy to upload them tonight.
Oh, I was referrring to single wires that clip onto the back of the radio chassis itself (the stock one), not the two harnesses.

Don't worry about the pics, very few if anyone is using the stock head unit anyway.
Old 01-14-2006, 08:50 AM

Originally Posted by P.J
I still have to get out and get some dynamat. Not too excited about having to pay what they get for THAT stuff.
You may want to try: www.fatmat.com . This is what I used in their "rattletrap" bulk pack. It is around twice the sq ft of what the dynamat extreme bulk packs come in (100 sq ft for $129). It worked very well and I had enough to do everything inside the cab including the doors.....well, I didn't do the roof. I think it worked pretty close to as well as my buddies truck that used dynamat extreme along with dynamat lead floor liners. Very solid feel. Got a lot more bass out of the speakers..... main reason I had to change the head unit to an Alpine so I could get more highs back, but much quieter overall. BTW, the Alpine head unit with a chrysler wiring harness made those infinity speakers sound great. Way more highs that the factory head unit.