Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

Front Door Speakers, What Fits?

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2006, 07:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
well, I just did my fronts, had a 5 1/4 from Crutchfield, had to go buy a set of 6X9's guess there is no rhyme or reason
Old 01-03-2006, 08:08 PM
P.J
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Thanks Eskimo, duely noted.

I'm on the hunt for an amp, cheaper is good. I get what you are saying about the bridging of the 3&4th channels, never knew that was an option. I never intended to power the rears, so I guess a 4 channel amp will suit me.

Phil,
I think Crutchfield has a depth perception issue. They don't even spec a 6X9. I have a set of Kewoods comming anyday, the dept is 3 1/16".
And, I did take note of your tweeters. My drivers side factory tweeter is very tight to the adjacent gauge, there isn't a spare mm in there for me to play with better tweeters. If I could find some that would fit in the OE hole, I would get them.
If I see that a build up, or spacer is required to clear the window I'm going to document the install with pictures so anyone else that want's aftermarket 6X9's up front doesn't have to re-create the wheel.
Old 01-03-2006, 08:16 PM

Originally Posted by P.J
My drivers side factory tweeter is very tight to the adjacent gauge, there isn't a spare mm in there for me to play with better tweeters.
Do you mean that the diameter of the tweeter would be the problem? Yeah...if I wanted pillar gauges (which I don't...LOL), I'd just use one of the actual gauge pods for a tweeter. That'd work just great.
Old 01-04-2006, 08:45 AM
P.J
Banned

Got those pods full Buddy. I'm actually pondering where to put a trans temp gauge now, maybe on the column, maybe in the cubby?

I don't think the depth would be and issue, more the diameter.
Too good for gauges on your A-Pillar? You gonna run them out on the hood, like 1978 FireBird style?
Old 01-04-2006, 11:18 AM

HAHA! No, I'm looking to put them overhead, right above the rear view mirror. For me, having them on the A-pillar looks cluttered and they get in the way of your view. Hell, the A-pillar gets in my way enough as-is, so I certainly don't want to make it any wider than it has to be.
Old 01-05-2006, 10:41 AM
P.J
Banned

Yeah, you had me thinking yeaterday. Have you been in a truck with the overhead gauges? That (to me) would be in the way. Don't you have to lower your mirrior to fit the gauges up there? They are going to sit about 3" deep off of the windshield X aprox. 7" wide in the pod (aren't they?)

You da man. Make sure you post some pics of the finished product, I'm skeptical.
Old 01-05-2006, 12:13 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Did you get those speakers yet?

I'm keeping that area around the mirror clear for a 10" monitor ( ) when I finally get around to installing a carputer, so my gauges are going in the Autometer dash pod that mounts in the middle of the dash up by the windshield.
Old 01-05-2006, 02:37 PM
P.J
Banned

Not yet. They Left L.A on the 30th, I should see them soon.

I still have to get out and get some dynamat. Not too excited about having to pay what they get for THAT stuff.

Yeah, I'm getting a monitor too Right after I hit the lottery

I am lame when it come to this kinda stuff, I had my gauges in a box out in the garage for a month before I got them in.

I like to accumulate ALL needed parts and accessories before I start a project. I can't stand getting into something and having to run out to the store (about 15 miles away for me) to get something.
Old 01-05-2006, 03:46 PM

Originally Posted by P.J
Not yet. They Left L.A on the 30th, I should see them soon.

I still have to get out and get some dynamat. Not too excited about having to pay what they get for THAT stuff.

Yeah, I'm getting a monitor too Right after I hit the lottery

I am lame when it come to this kinda stuff, I had my gauges in a box out in the garage for a month before I got them in.

I like to accumulate ALL needed parts and accessories before I start a project. I can't stand getting into something and having to run out to the store (about 15 miles away for me) to get something.
A month? That's all? Mine have been sitting in the garage for at least three months now. My biggest problem is finding time to work on it, especially a project like gauges that's going to take a bit of time and can't be stopped halfway. Oh, and yeah, I still need some parts for it, too, but I can't decide exactly how I want to do it.

Re Dynamat: I'd use a roll of ice barrier instead of Dynamat to save money. Pretty much exactly the same stuff, just cheaper 'cause it doesn't have "Dynamat" printed on it. I have a bunch of it saved from our roof for when I get around to the job.
Old 01-05-2006, 04:22 PM

Yeah please let us know how they sound and fit as I'm looking for a set right know. I need to go and find out what model those Alpine 6.5" speakers are, but I think you may have found a better deal.

Also what do yall prefer 6.5" or 6x9" in the front door? I'm not too savey when it comes to speakers?
Old 01-05-2006, 05:32 PM
P.J
Banned

Originally Posted by SuperDave4x4
Yeah please let us know how they sound and fit as I'm looking for a set right know. I need to go and find out what model those Alpine 6.5" speakers are, but I think you may have found a better deal.

Also what do yall prefer 6.5" or 6x9" in the front door? I'm not too savey when it comes to speakers?
Interesting question, I think you will find that most people prefer a round speaker. I chose the X9's because I heard the way my 6.5's sounded in the back doors. Granted, they were el' cheapo's, but I had a set of 6X9's in my old truck and they thumped pretty good. I have a subwoofer (estimated time of completetion 6/1/2006) so, I don't need bass per se', just wanted a nice mid sound. Plus the one's I got are 4 ways, I really don't know what the other "way" is, but it sounded cool to me.

Jfpointer, what is this "ice barrier" you speak of?
I'm up for anything that will do the trick, I was ready to go ghetto with it and squirt some driveway sealer on there or something!
Old 01-06-2006, 08:59 AM

Originally Posted by P.J
Jfpointer, what is this "ice barrier" you speak of?
I'm up for anything that will do the trick, I was ready to go ghetto with it and squirt some driveway sealer on there or something!
The stuff they put over the non-heated areas of roofs to prevent damage from ice dams. GAF makes it, so does Corning, I think. GAF calls it Stormguard: http://www.gaf.com/General/GafMain.asp?Silo=RES1&WS=GAF

Driveway sealer would probably work alright, too. Might take a few coats, though.
Old 01-06-2006, 09:36 AM
P.J
Banned

Okay, I got you.
I have seen a brand called "Grace Ice and Water Shield". I know that stuff is nice and thick and you had better mean it when you stick it somewhere. (sticky!)

I was racking my brain trying to think of what you could be talking about, when I saw "Ice" I kept thinking cooler or freezer.

Thanks
Old 01-06-2006, 01:16 PM

I wouldn't get a 6x9 speaker. I see them as an older technology, usable in fewer applications (could mean harder to sell, if you ever decide to), and offer no benefit over 6.5" round speakers. Just get some 6.5"s and rings to fit them from Crutchfield and be done with it.

Also, Dynamat is great stuff. But in trucks like we drive, I don't think it has much of a place. IN GENERAL, guys who drive trucks like we drive enjoy the sound of the diesel, and many drive with the windows down all the time. Normal cab noise and vibration is something that I think most of us like about our trucks, so spending a couple hundred dollars for a bunch of Dynamat and spending several hours to basically take the whole cab apart and install it just isn't on my list of Things To Do. I'd rather spend that time and money on engine mods, or other interior mods that were more useful to me. Of course, that's just my $0.02. Your mileage may vary.
Old 01-06-2006, 01:27 PM
P.J
Banned

I would only be putting the sound deadening material behind the speakers, to make sure I don't get any buzzing or rattling in there. I will spend no more than $25.00 on this, maybe $0.00 if I get some where I'm thinking I can.

I hear you on the cab noise thing, I'm not at all trying to cancel outside noise, I just want to make sure I get the best install possible. I haven't been into the front doors and don't want to feel like I should have done something while I was in there.
Speakers should be here today (so says the tracking #) Unless they were already there and are requiring a sig. Can't wait to hear how they sound compared to stock.

Quick Reply: Front Door Speakers, What Fits?