Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

Front Door Speakers, What Fits?

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2005, 08:10 AM
P.J
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by SuperDave4x4
I just got back form looking at some Apine 6.5" door speakers and they were 99.99 at Best Buy. Has anyone found them cheaper? I am interested in those as I have a Alpine screen.
If they are the SPR-17LP's than that is a great deal.
If they are the SPR-170A's than that is about what they cost.

You going up front with these? If I hadn't gotten the back ones for free from Crutchfield I would be just as happy only replacing the fronts. Even the factory fronts just about completely overpower the fronts. I'm assuming that anything new that I replace the fronts with is really going to be an improvement (I hope). Only thing that could still sting me is if the Infinity amp'd speakers are really doing a whole lot up there, I am going to be dissapointed and I guess have to power the fronts with an amp. I was hoping to NOT have to do that, we'll see soon.
Old 12-29-2005, 08:51 AM

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
keep us posted as to what you end up with as i too have a 2001.5 and am also looking to upgrade the sound system.
Old 12-29-2005, 10:10 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
6x9's fit in the front door fine.I put JL 6x9's in my truck 1st and then went to Rainbow Components for better sound quality.

I also have 1 JL 13w7 in a ported box in the quad cab area.I like it LOUD.
Old 12-29-2005, 09:01 PM
P.J
Banned

Well, I have ordered a set of Kenwood KFC- 6989 ie 's.

I have to tell you guys, if you haven't ever checked them out, go to www.overstock.com

I saved some serious loot here. No joking, these speakers are what I wanted, but didn't really want to pay for. (nah, not me! ) Keep in mind, I'm not attempting to recreate a concert hall here, just want some more improvement over stock. There were many, many other cheaper alternatives. Almost all of the 6 1/2's that I looked at were under $100 list prices, Most of the 6X9's were right at and over that mark.

Here they are on Crutchfield.

Here they are on overstock.com for 25.00 less with free shipping!

I'm very pleased with the savings, I will report back with news when I get them in. I hope I can get to it by next weekend as long as they are here by then.

Phil

Last edited by P.J; 12-30-2005 at 01:56 PM. Reason: bad link
Old 12-30-2005, 12:11 AM

Crutchfield sells plastic adapter rings that let you put a 6.5" speaker into a 6x9" door hole. That's what I used and they worked great. Only thing that sucked was that I had to enlarge the holes in the adapter rings a bit to fit my speakers. But regarding mounting depth, I really don't think you're going to run into any problems there. In fact, if you want to have a lot of fun, you can buy component speakers and mount the tweeters in the Infinity A-pillars. That's what I did (had to enlarge the holes with a Dremel though).

Old 12-30-2005, 06:49 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I just put mine where the Infinity tweets used to be, before they started putting them in the pillar. A holesaw is your friend...

Old 12-30-2005, 10:38 AM

Originally Posted by 99NVRam2500
not front door speakers, but this is what I want to do for my subs, http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...3AIT&rd=1nyone do this?
Mine is on its way in a 12" version, I'll let ya know in about a week or 2.
Old 12-30-2005, 01:39 PM

I saw that nifty little bugger after I sold my old 12'' out of my sedan to purchase two 10's for under the QC seat in the back. I attempted building a box myself, but got really fed up after spending an entire day building it, then the drivers wouldn't fit (doh!). So I hit the 'net and found musicmoose.com - if you have an '01 QC or same style, these folks' box sounds awesome w/2 10's (cheap PG ones, they like a small box) and pushing about 250w/driver.

The box takes up all the space under the back seat, but fits perfect, and sounds awesome. Complimented with PG components up front (amped with an old Carver auto amp) and the sound is awesome!
Old 12-30-2005, 01:53 PM
P.J
Banned

Thats my next delima. To amp or not to amp (the fronts). I'm thinking not,but only because I can't afford an amp that will run both the sub and the fronts. They make a "tri" crossover that you can run a single sub and two regular speakers off of a 4 channel amp, not sure If I want to go that route or not.
Old 12-30-2005, 02:08 PM

Originally Posted by P.J
Thats my next delima. To amp or not to amp (the fronts). I'm thinking not,but only because I can't afford an amp that will run both the sub and the fronts. They make a "tri" crossover that you can run a single sub and two regular speakers off of a 4 channel amp, not sure If I want to go that route or not.
I'm pretty happy with my Hifonics amps. Good build quality, plenty of power for the price. I have a 4x50w rms running front and rear speakers, and a 2x50w rms bridged on my 10" sub. I know some people run 300w rms just to one sub, but altogether in a regular cab this setup produces plenty of sound for me. They're often available on eBay at pretty reasonable prices.
Old 12-30-2005, 02:26 PM

Originally Posted by P.J
I have a 5-channel Lightning Audio amp that's been going strong for years now. Well made, and regarded as a good budget amp.. You can find them on ebay all the time for not much over $100.

In all actuality, there's a standing $10,000 bet that a person cannot hear the differences between 2 amplifiers that's yet to be claimed in the 15 years it's been around.

I would buy a 4-channel amp and use the front outputs for the front doors, bridge the rear for the subs, then run the rears off the head unit with a "bass blocker" inline. (They are <$10) The tri-crossover you speak of was meant to run 2 speakers and a subwoofer off a 2-channel amp.. back when amps were VERY expensive. It's quite a big compromise.

here's one I'd run in a heartbeat.. http://cgi.ebay.com/LIGHTNING-AUDIO-...QQcmdZViewItem

I've been heavily into mobile audio for 14 years now, there's lots of mis-information out there.. and VERY good sound can be had without breaking the bank.
Old 12-30-2005, 03:16 PM

Guess nobody likes my speakers huh? I thought it came out pretty sweet myself.

Anyway, FWIW, I run an Alpine head unit, Focal front speakers (powered by a Zapco amp), and JL subwoofers (dual 10"s in a JL Stealthbox, powered by a JL amp). I couldn't be happier with the sound that I achieve through these components, all of which I purchased over time and installed myself.
Old 12-30-2005, 03:53 PM

Originally Posted by AggiePhil
Guess nobody likes my speakers huh? I thought it came out pretty sweet myself.

Anyway, FWIW, I run an Alpine head unit, Focal front speakers (powered by a Zapco amp), and JL subwoofers (dual 10"s in a JL Stealthbox, powered by a JL amp). I couldn't be happier with the sound that I achieve through these components, all of which I purchased over time and installed myself.
This is the kind of thing that would make a guy's signature get entirely out of hand. My head unit is a Clarion CD/MP3 with built-in CD/DVD changer, Sirius, and TV tuner control, along with an AUX input, which has a Neuros 30gb MP3 player connected to it. Amps are both Hifonics Zeus series. Controlling those amps is a Clarion EQ/electronic crossover. Front speakers are Polk DX3065, rears are cheap Clarions with the gain turned way down. Sub is a Polk EX10 in a wedge truckbox behind the driver's seat.
Old 12-30-2005, 03:58 PM

Originally Posted by Eskimo
In all actuality, there's a standing $10,000 bet that a person cannot hear the differences between 2 amplifiers that's yet to be claimed in the 15 years it's been around.
I get a kick out of people who claim to be able to hear the difference between speaker wires, too. As long as it's suited electrically to carry the signal, I can all but guarantee there's no way anyone can tell the difference between lamp cord and $300/ft oxygen free hand-braided whatevers...
Old 12-30-2005, 03:58 PM

Originally Posted by jfpointer
This is the kind of thing that would make a guy's signature get entirely out of hand. My head unit is a Clarion CD/MP3 with built-in CD/DVD changer, Sirius, and TV tuner control, along with an AUX input, which has a Neuros 30gb MP3 player connected to it. Amps are both Hifonics Zeus series. Controlling those amps is a Clarion EQ/electronic crossover. Front speakers are Polk DX3065, rears are cheap Clarions with the gain turned way down. Sub is a Polk EX10 in a wedge truckbox behind the driver's seat.
Well I failed to mention that I also have a 40GB Apple iPod connected to the Alpine CDA-9835 head unit via an Alpine KCA-420i iPod Controller and the Zapco front amp is connected with a Zapco Symbilink line driver. Oh...and all wiring is by KnuKonceptz.

Quick Reply: Front Door Speakers, What Fits?