Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

Front Door Speakers, What Fits?

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2005, 06:37 PM
P.J
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Front Door Speakers, What Fits?

I searched for about an hour and have come to the conclusion that I don't know much more than when I started.

Heres the deal, I hooked up my new head unit and replaced the back door speakers with a cheap set of 6.5" Kenwoods. The system already is much improved over the stock infinity set up, but of course I want MORE! I have a single 10" sub and am currently shopping for a suitable mono amp.

I gathered while hooking up my head unit (and later reading here) that the factory speakers are powered by some kind of amp(s). There was ablue wire that I had to hook up to my harness for "power antenna". Obviously, I don't have a power antenna here, and the stereo wouldn't work with out it hooked up. What do I need to do to make sure I am NOT running through the factory amps? Re-wire my fronts directly to the new head unit.
So, what can I do about these fronts? I don't want any component set ups, one for the money, secondly because I don't have a problem with the factory tweeters in the pillars.

Are there any decent 6X9's that will fit? Am I stuck with 6.5's up there too? Am I better off with 6.5's anyway?

Any advice would be great! Thank's in advance.
Old 12-27-2005, 09:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I installed Focal 690 AC's. With a Dynamat under it, it just clears the window. I'm not sure of the differences in design on the latter model years but the Dynamat helped alot.
Old 12-28-2005, 06:09 AM
P.J
Banned

I'm going to get some type of sound deadening, there is a lot of tin back there to buzz/rattle. I should have done the same thing with the back ones.

I remeber seeing a max. mounting depth and can't find it now. Crutchfield keeps trying to push me into 6.5's.

Anyone else?
Old 12-28-2005, 07:26 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The max mounting depth is a bit misleading--there's a lot of room between the door metal and the plastic interior panel. If you need some extra depth for the speaker, just make a spacer of 1/2 or 3/4" mdf.

Nothing wrong with 6 1/2" components, though.
Old 12-28-2005, 08:17 AM

Received 49 Likes on 43 Posts
If I recall correctly if your stock stereo had the infinity unit in it(the one with the seperate tweeter in the a pillar) then the speakers are amp driven. If it was not the infinity unit no amps. In my 01 I had put in some nice infinity 6.5 seperates and though it sounded great without the engine running once the truck was started the extra fine sound was pretty much washed out (still sounded good but I have decided that for me using really high end speakers in it is just a waste of money). So when I ruined one of those speakers (we wont get into how) I replaced them with some decent Infinity 6x9s and they fit fine. I would have replaced with the same one but since I only needed one and couldnt find just one had to buy the pair I opted for a cheaper pair. When I had my 96 I used some 6x9 cerwin vegas up front and they fit fine as as well. The CV's did bow out my door panel a bit though.
Old 12-28-2005, 03:11 PM
P.J
Banned

Originally Posted by jfpointer
The max mounting depth is a bit misleading--there's a lot of room between the door metal and the plastic interior panel. If you need some extra depth for the speaker, just make a spacer of 1/2 or 3/4" mdf.

Nothing wrong with 6 1/2" components, though.
Okay, now we are getting somewhere! So, how much room are you talking, like as in I can shop for speakers with a 3 1/4" depth? It's no wonder Crutchfield is only showing two speakers for the front. I have no problem with making up a spacer, I just don't want to get too deep of a speaker and not be able to "pack it out" enough. (run out of room between the door panel).

Enough about the components already!
Old 12-28-2005, 03:13 PM
P.J
Banned

If I absolutely had to I would consider going trailer park with it and mounting them with the grills outside the factory panel. (anyone done this?)
Old 12-28-2005, 04:58 PM

I've never put a 6x9 in there, but I'd guess 3 1/4" depth would work with a 3/4" spacer, without putting them too far out into the plastic. The stock speakers must be at least 2 1/2" deep, I would think. I have a pair down in the basement; I'll measure them when I get home. Easier than pulling your door panel.
Old 12-28-2005, 08:19 PM

not front door speakers, but this is what I want to do for my subs, http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...3AIT&rd=1nyone do this?
Old 12-28-2005, 08:47 PM
P.J
Banned

Originally Posted by 99NVRam2500
not front door speakers, but this is what I want to do for my subs, http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...3AIT&rd=1nyone do this?
Yes, I believe I have seen that here before. You can get away a little cheaper by getting a sealed box that fits under the back seat. I have one now, and am contemplating a second. It's a JDK 2561. See Look Here

Here's a cooler one,
www.audiooutfitter.com/store/DODGE210

Forget about Subs!
I've spent about two hours today on Ebay and Crutchfield looking for suitable speakers, still not decided on what to do. The mounting depth has me scared. I don't want to put these doors back together (once I get them apart that is) without some new speakers that fit in there.
Old 12-28-2005, 08:56 PM

Alright, dug that speaker out of a box and measured it. Stock non-Infinity speakers are just barely shy of 2 1/2" deep. I doubt the Infinitys are shallower. So you should be fine with speakers with a mounting depth of 3 1/4", just use 3/4" MDF as a spacer and maybe put some rubber or DynaMat on both sides of it or something. That should work fine with the plastic door panel, I'm pretty sure.
Old 12-28-2005, 09:01 PM
P.J
Banned

Originally Posted by jfpointer
Alright, dug that speaker out of a box and measured it. Stock non-Infinity speakers are just barely shy of 2 1/2" deep. I doubt the Infinitys are shallower. So you should be fine with speakers with a mounting depth of 3 1/4", just use 3/4" MDF as a spacer and maybe put some rubber or DynaMat on both sides of it or something. That should work fine with the plastic door panel, I'm pretty sure.
Of course, the last ones I looked at are 3 5/16" tight, more like 3/8"

Thank's a bunch Jim, I'm going to stick to seaching for something at or less than 3.25.
There are about 8 or 10 that I know of. I'm somewhere between Alpine and Kenwood at this point. Not trying to build a ghetto cruising, show winner type system here, just want to do it right (or at least the best I can) the first time.

Thanks again.
Old 12-28-2005, 09:14 PM

I just got back form looking at some Apine 6.5" door speakers and they were 99.99 at Best Buy. Has anyone found them cheaper? I am interested in those as I have a Alpine screen.
Old 12-29-2005, 12:34 AM

I'm not quite sure on my 6x9's mounting depth, but the alpines have plenty of room on my 95. crutchfield and best buy also told me to go with 6.5's but I had to try it. Just my 2 cents.
Old 12-29-2005, 08:01 AM

I used cheap single cone Kenwood 6x9s 51.00 at best buy hooked up to the old crossover zip tied the crossover to the new speaker bamm they sound great. also I replaced the Infinty head unit with a Alpine and used the stock crossover and speakers for 6 1/2 years with no problem untill my pass, door speaker went bad.

Quick Reply: Front Door Speakers, What Fits?