Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

Front Axle Swap Suggestions

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2005, 09:43 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Front Axle Swap Suggestions

I plan on building about 500-600HP with my truck to use for sled pulling and drag racing.
At what point do the front axles start coming apart? I understand a Dana 60 from a Ford is a decent upgrade.
Also, doesn't Ford actually use a Dana 50 from 1989 to 1997 on the F350s and then Dana 50s on the SRW up until 2000+, then all trucks have the Dana 60 in the Super duty series?

What about a front axle from the 2003+ Dodge trucks? Is the American Axle stronger?

Thanks for any insight you may have.
Old 09-26-2005, 10:42 AM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
I dunno if the Ford 60 is any better. The 60s are pretty tough as is, and if you want to beef it up, I'd look at stronger axles (Moser, Strange, Dynatrac, etc) for your existing 60, as well as a differential upgrade. An ARB air locker is pretty strong, and will let you still have decent street manners, too. Other options like a full spool or a Detroit aren't as street friendly.

You'll probably also want strong axle U-joints from CTM or somesuch.

jmo as a guy who doesn't know too much about axles.
Old 09-26-2005, 10:56 AM

The Dynatrac upgrades run about $4k to do..

The D60 in our trucks only has a 1.31" axle shaft. Most others have 1.5" shafts.

I'd love to get a locker but have my doubts after reading this thread:
https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/...ad.php?t=76488
Old 09-26-2005, 11:37 AM

For the price, I wouldn't do the Dynatrac setup. Swapping in a kingpin HP60 front out of a pre-'91 Ford would be far more cost-effective. Stronger u-joints will be good when you get some 35-spline shafts. CTM's are great joints but unless you have manual hubs (to disengage the front axle during daily operation), don't do it. CTM's aren't lubed for extended use at high speeds.
If you're going to drop a locker in it now with the current shafts, just get a lunchbox locker like a Lockright and don't put any more money into it. If you upgrade to bigger shafts, go Detroit or ARB. Both are strong and will be transparent onroad during 2wd operation. ARB's and spools tend to be nicer to ujoints than Detroits do, in my experience, since you don't have shockloads due to locking/unlocking. Hope that helps.
Chris
Old 09-26-2005, 11:47 AM
Chapter President

Yes, you are correct about the axle shafts.....the 1.31" 30 spline inners are as wimpy as a D60 gets.....not to mention the the tiny stub shafts with semi floating hubs and sealed bearings. Also, consider the very thin wall tubing and the ultimate weak link which is the 2 piece passenger side shaft which has the weak and failure prone coupler. This is the weakest D60 front end ever offered from the factory. It works fine for it's intended purpose but is the least desirable D60 front end for off road abuse or sled pulling. As you have already discovered, going the way of the Dyna Trac upgrade is big $$$$ and you are still stuck with the wimpy housing. Compare the Ford D60 front end with it's 1.50" 35 spline shafts, 30 spline stubs (which can be easily converted to 35 spline with factory parts) and full floating hubs with large servicable wheel bearings with twin piston calipers and 3/8" to 1/2" wall tubing depending on the year - there really is no comparison. Yes, you are correct about the D50 front end in some Superduty front ends......you have to be careful there.....I think it is only the F350 HD version that gets the D60 anymore and that might only be offered as a dually. If you find a 97 and earlier F350 you can guarantee it is a D60.

If the main reason for using 4WD is just for sled pulling and not for street use, I would suggest using a spool in the front end if you use an axle with manual locking hubs......if not you will have to use a manually locking front locker.
Old 09-26-2005, 11:53 AM
Chapter President

Agreed about the CTM's - you can't use them on the street since they don't have needle bearings.....they only have lubed bushings that will over heat and wear quickly for street use. They were originally intended for rock crawlers that saw very high loads at very slow speeds. FWIW, with the stock D60 front end, you still can't use a lunch box locker or any other auto locking diff because it will attempt to lock the front end up and drive the ring and pinion and drive shaft off the drivers side wheel.
Old 09-26-2005, 12:18 PM

What front axle/axle shaft size/spline count came in the 1st gen's? Its a dana 60 but its some derivative right? I think the center section is different to allow for the 3.08 gears in some of the auto's?
Old 09-26-2005, 12:23 PM

I put a 95 high pinion ford 60 in my dodge, works great! here is a link to some pictures of the install:
pics n stuff
Old 09-26-2005, 12:59 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
ford makes a Dana F70 front axle, from the 80's. I have one here.
Old 09-26-2005, 01:22 PM
Chapter President

The later model D70 frontend doesn't offer much in the way of additional strength over the D60 other than a larger ring gear and 35 spline outers.....some older D70 fronts did have a beefy 3.5" tubes but I think the later models were 3.25"?

If you can score the king pin style ford D60, that would be the way to go, IMO.
Old 09-26-2005, 01:27 PM

There is a certain year they went to ALL Dana 60 components in the Superduties. I hang out at TDS so I can get the exact year there. I'm pretty sure its 01+.

No one knows what the breaking point is on these stock units?

What about input on the American Axle used on the 3rd gen trucks?

Thanks for all the input!
Old 09-26-2005, 01:29 PM

Also, the main reason for 4WD use will be for Drag strip and Truck pulling. I may do an occasional mud run as well
Old 09-26-2005, 01:33 PM
Chapter President

Originally Posted by apwatson50
What front axle/axle shaft size/spline count came in the 1st gen's? Its a dana 60 but its some derivative right? I think the center section is different to allow for the 3.08 gears in some of the auto's?
The 1st gens had the good D60......35 spline inners, full floating bearing hubs and a good housing. I'm not sure about the 3.08's, though? The way Dana did this was to offer a D61 model housing that had an offset pinion location to allow for the higher tooth count on the pinion gear for the ratios below 3.54. I don't believe the D61 casting was ever offered as a front end, though....I'm not certain, but I have never seen or heard of this. If you ordered a 4x4 as 3/4 ton or up, it would have a D60 with only the option of 3.54 and up. Am I wrong?
Old 09-26-2005, 01:36 PM

Originally Posted by LanceD
I put a 95 high pinion ford 60 in my dodge, works great! here is a link to some pictures of the install:
pics n stuff
Nice pictures!
How long did the project take you? Would you do it again? How much did it cost?
Old 09-26-2005, 01:37 PM
Chapter President

Originally Posted by Bobcat698
There is a certain year they went to ALL Dana 60 components in the Superduties. I hang out at TDS so I can get the exact year there. I'm pretty sure its 01+.

No one knows what the breaking point is on these stock units?

What about input on the American Axle used on the 3rd gen trucks?

Thanks for all the input!
You must be careful there.......I have seen an 02 with a D50......it looks like a D60 from the outside as all the knuckles out components are the same but it uses a D44 sized pinion and carrier with the excemption of the 9.25" ring gear as compared to the D44's 8.75" ring gear.

Quick Reply: Front Axle Swap Suggestions