Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

Friday 13th Guage Install

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2007, 05:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Friday 13th Guage Install

Not my first time to install trans temp guage, but nothing seemed to work right. I ordered a compression fitting, planning to cut into my hot line and save a few bucks. I cut it too close to the bend and the fitting wouldn't go on that end. I live about 45 minutes from a Dodge dealership, so I hopped in my car and went over and bought a '95 model line. They hit me for $157.43 for the little jewel! Have you ever tried to start a bolt or nut and just couldn't get it started? Well, I thought I would never get the end on the cooler. Finally, after much agony, I got it. But it works, and I did it! I've still got the other guages to go, but maybe things will go more smoothly on them.
Old 04-13-2007, 07:42 PM

I just bought the same line part # 5011244-AA list was $139.00 I paid $97.30 + tax How come dodge parts very in price from state to state ?
Old 04-13-2007, 09:33 PM

Yeah, I wonder. That's a high priced little line, ain't it?
Old 04-13-2007, 09:43 PM

Hey Don maybe you could help me out. I just posted in the help section as well. I'm pulling the hot line tomorrow AM and wondering what method you used and how much fluid you lost. I have a replacement hot line from Diesel Manor $79 with sensor probe already built in so that's not the question. But I was told to remove the hot line from the Trans first but don't know why.

Any help would be appreciated.
02 47RE
Bill.
Old 04-14-2007, 02:30 AM

Make sure you replace those dual position nylon line spacer clamps to keep those aluminum lines from vibrating together and wearing a hole!
Mine were on there on either side of the tranny but the two old lines that cross under the tranny were touching anyway and rubbed a hole and started leaking ATF only when under way.. (back pressure from the checkvalve)

I had my expensive DC steel tranny line with the temp sender hanging on the wall in my garage that I never got around to installing until this past Monday.
What luck! it was the OLD hot line that started spewing! The replacement was in the garage!

2500RAM: As far as the amount of fluid that is lost with the hot line unplugged?
LOTS!!! Be prepared to take an ATF bath!
I had the truck on jackstands and when I pulled the hot line, it drained out.... and KEPT on draining from the tranny!!! I had to get a bigger pan to hold the old ATF! I had a little 1 gal pan and that wasn't enough.
I estimate it was likely the torque converter drained down to halfway. At least that is "about" how much oil was in the drain pan.
The oil cooler drained too but it was expected(about a Qt).

I got the end of the new line with the short section of hose and check valve onto the cooler OK, but the end with the tight bend to the tranny oil exit port was a real PITA to get started! Just a TEENY bit out of line. Close, but no cigar...
I finally had to grab the temp sender hex boss with ViseGrips and twist and torque on it to FINALLY get the tubing nut to catch a thread. Home free

OK, got it on there and since I was already covered in ATF, I figured I'd go ahead and drop the pan and change the rest of the oil and filter too!

Dropped the pan and cleaned the pan and the magnet. (it began raining about this time )
Replaced the filter, pan and started refilling with Valvoline ATF+4.

13 quarts later , it is FINALLY up to the OK area on the dipstick!
I never knew there could be THAT much oil drain from the TC without having a drain plug in the TC.
I was not expecting to have to refill it with 3+ gallons of ATF either!

K.
Old 04-14-2007, 10:05 AM

The hot line was the last thing I did, and I really didn't lose all that much fluid. I cut the line first, in attempt to attach the fitting, and I slid a pan under it. Then, when I saw the fitting wasn't going to work for me, I had about an hour and a half trip to get the new line, so by the time I got back and pulled the line at the trans, it wasn't too bad. I lost about a quart. I have got to find some more of those spacers for the lines, as I broke a couple when I took them off.