Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

"FREE" Goodyear MT/R

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2005, 11:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking "FREE" Goodyear MT/R

So, yesterday someone traded in a jeep wrangler with LT315/75R16 Goodyear MT/R on it and the sales dept decided to keep it and retail it. Well our used car tech took it out and drove and decided the tires were too noisy, so I happened to be there when he got back from the drive and I told him that I would like to have those tires if he decided to replace them. So guess what I got me tonight? Thats right, and almost brand new set of tires, "FREEBIES!" These tires have about 90% of tread left on them! It just so happens that the tire on my truck are worn out. This couldn't of happened at a better time with the holidays and the new baby on the way. It was truly a blessing, the "MAN" upstairs was look'n out for me.

My question is, does anyone have experience with these tires, good, bad? (not that it matters cause the price was right) Just interested in opinions. Thanks

Tye
Old 11-18-2005, 11:09 PM
Chapter President

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Those tires WILL NOT fit your truck. Go ahead and UPS them to me, and I'll pay the shipping.
Old 11-18-2005, 11:14 PM

With the experience that I have had with them they wear really fast, pick up lots of nails, and are ok in mud and snow. I wouldnt "buy" them again, but I sure would take some if they were free.
Old 11-18-2005, 11:22 PM

Originally Posted by crobtex
Those tires WILL NOT fit your truck. Go ahead and UPS them to me, and I'll pay the shipping.
Well, if they WON'T FIT my truck, I know they definetly WON'T FIT YOURS!
Old 11-18-2005, 11:40 PM

If they are as soft as my 37x12.50x17's I ran on my 03, they do wear fast. Mostly on the rear. I think I got 17K miles out of them. They do handle nice in the road, and smooth off-road.
Yeah, for free, who cares, enjoy them.
Old 11-19-2005, 01:35 AM

You really scored!!! I used to work at a dealership, and did a lot of QC checks of incoming used vehicles. I got plenty of sets of tires, and many aftermarket parts because the dealership had a policy of never selling a vehicle with snow tires or aftermarket parts on it.

I get a kick out of people who talk about fast tire wear as if it was a negative thing. Sure, I know how frustrating it is to have an expensive set of tires wear out quickly. But if you want a long wearing tire, just go to a chain tire store and buy a set of the 80,000 mile tires and see just what you get. In order to get traction on a hard surface (the road, or rocks) you need a soft rubber compound. Unfortunately soft rubber wears quickly. So you need to find a compramise between cost (wear rate) and traction. I will take traction every time.

A very good example is the cult following of BFG tires. I have tried their MTs and 3 sets of their ATs. Sure, they wear like iron, but driving on a wet road was like driving on ice; and driving on a snowy road was like...well, I would have to compare it to freefaling from an airplane, with just about as much control. I wound up giving away 2 sets of half worn ATs because I wasn't about to wait for such a crappy, low-traction tire to wear out. The last set I sent away on a Jeep I sold, using their following as a selling point. No, I never went to a tire store and actually purchased any...they all came on vehicles I purchased. But I did find with 3 different sets, that there wasn't a quality problem with one of the sets.

Up in my area, with our terrible roads, tires don't usually last for more than 25,000 miles on anything. O.K., maybe someone with a small car can get 40,000 miles out of a set of rock-hard tires if they drive on the interstate a lot, but local driving kills tires. I have to say that I haven't noticed even the softer, higher traction tires wearing that much more quickly than harder tires. I would gladly give up 5000 or 10,000 miles of tire life for the peace of mind of knowing that my wife and family are in a vehicle that doesn't slide around on a slightly moist road. My stepson is driving a Jeep that gets excellent winter traction thanks to some Wildcat EXT tires. They cost a lot less than BFGs, last nearly as long, and have tons more traction. In fact, the day I removed the BFG ATs and installed the Wildcats (the BFGs had maybe 5,000 miles on them), I did a little test. I tried driving the Jeep up a bit of a hill behind our shop, covered with snow. It wouldn't go up it in 4x4. After mounting up the Wildcats, the Jeep did the same hill in 4x2, making it to the top easily.

Oops, I just noticed how long I rambled on. I should probably cut most of this out, but I spent too much time typing to do that. I'll just part with the reminder that tire wear isn't a bad thing...it just means that you have more traction. Enjoy those MT/Rs!

Jim
Old 11-19-2005, 06:04 PM

We have them on a old ranch jeep at home. They are great for off road driving.The problem with these is they are a 245/75/16 which is a E rated tire, a little more tire than you need on a jeep. Makes it ride as little rough.But they are good tires. Sure they aren't going to make 60,000 miles but for there intended use they are great.

Trending Topics

Old 11-19-2005, 06:54 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
the wrangler mtr's will be fine and a very good tire too. I picked up a deal on a set too. relax

Old 11-19-2005, 06:55 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....+MT%2FR#Survey

I am not too worried
Old 11-19-2005, 09:41 PM

I got them mounted/balanced first thing this morning.

So far here are my thoughts about them, they look good, noisy (the rear ones are a little choppy) I'm pretty sure thats the reason for the noise, they seem to ride ok, and I did notice my EGTs jumped up about 100 degrees. I'm leaving on a 500+ round trip tomorrow so well see how it goes.
Old 11-19-2005, 09:54 PM

BSM:

Yea that was perfect timing on getting the tires. They look good and really who cares how loud and how long they last they are FREE!!!!! As long as they are not dangerous, (blowouts, bad traction, etc). Enjoy them. BTW if you come across 4 or 6 235-85-16s be sure to let me know. My back tires are ok probably good for another 2-300 miles.
Old 11-19-2005, 10:01 PM

Way to go! I'm definently jealous
Old 11-19-2005, 10:25 PM

Originally Posted by DustyRock
BSM:

Yea that was perfect timing on getting the tires. They look good and really who cares how loud and how long they last they are FREE!!!!! As long as they are not dangerous, (blowouts, bad traction, etc). Enjoy them. BTW if you come across 4 or 6 235-85-16s be sure to let me know. My back tires are ok probably good for another 2-300 miles.
Exactly! I'll keep my eyes open. There's also a Hi-Lift jack thats going to hopefully end up in the back of my truck.
Old 11-20-2005, 10:00 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Buckshotmckee
Exactly! I'll keep my eyes open. There's also a Hi-Lift jack thats going to hopefully end up in the back of my truck.

You got a steal with the tires

the look good on ur truck, A hi lift? i hope u get it, i have one on mine, but i dont use it much, WD 40 is your best friend with one of those things... and watch for ratchetin action.. its been the only time ive been knocked out...

Tx
Old 11-20-2005, 12:42 PM

Buckshot, are those C or D Rated??

Quick Reply: "FREE" Goodyear MT/R