Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

Frantz oil filter install w pics

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2005, 06:52 PM
Administrator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I want only the best for my oil, Cha Cha Cha Charmin.
Sorry, TP was invented for one thing only. Just can't make my self use it for oil filtration.
Old 03-02-2005, 08:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You know, since you brought it up DD, most oil filter cartridges that I've heard of being cut apart are full of sawdust and raw cotton (ie with the seads and sometimes parts of twigs in it). The only difference is they have a paper pleat around it. So what is the difference of this thicker paper pleat from stopping sawdust from flowing through the motor and thin paper from clogging it's own return line, in either case if the paper fails the results aren't very good but I'd rather have a TP element fail than a main filter cartridge. Is there a risk? Always, but there is also a benefit. If they failed frequently then nobody in the right mind would buy one which would bankrupt the company.
Old 03-03-2005, 12:58 AM

If you use the scented paper with flowers and hearts, will it improve the smell of my oil???
Old 03-03-2005, 01:25 AM

Originally posted by upersleder
i did some checking on the site, i think changing the TP and adding a quart every 1500 miles would get kinda spendy. especially those of us using synthetics

Nah, swing by your local gas station.....a quick trip to the mens room gets ya a free filter....
Old 03-03-2005, 08:57 AM

Originally posted by Dr. Evil
Nah, swing by your local gas station.....a quick trip to the mens room gets ya a free filter....
I'm sure the next guy would be real pleased about that!

If you have the drain lower than the bottom of the filter such as the instructions suggest, you can just let it drain overnight and then basically no oil is lost in the change.
Old 03-03-2005, 09:14 AM

if there were a way to not lose the quart of oil it wouldnt be bad, then you just need a reliable gas station attendant like the good Dr. said
Old 03-03-2005, 11:29 AM
Administrator

Originally posted by Hemi Cat
If you use the scented paper with flowers and hearts, will it improve the smell of my oil???

Cool, you discovered the cure for Rosmella.

If they failed frequently then nobody in the right mind would buy one which would bankrupt the company.

I didn't say there was anything wrong with them, just that I would not use them.
Old 03-03-2005, 04:42 PM

Anyone know to what microns the TP filters down to??

What about just adding a amsoil bypass.

How do the two compare?

Justin
Old 03-03-2005, 04:45 PM

the site said .03 micron
Old 03-03-2005, 06:02 PM
Administrator

I use the AMSOIL dual remote system.
Old 03-03-2005, 06:54 PM

The Frantz Oil Cleaner/Filter removes particles as small as 1/10th of a micron in size; that is equivalent to the size of particles in cigarette smoke.
http://www.wefilterit.com/products.htm

"Cummins says that you should not use over a .050 oriffice in the line taken from the oil filter housing which will bypass the filter same as a bypass filter system. They also say that you need a valve that will not flow below 30 pounds."

Anyone else follow this recommendation?
Old 03-04-2005, 11:33 AM

What about the guys that are using both oil fittings on the top of the oil filter housing. Is there any other way to get oil to use one of the system.

Maybe an oil filter adapter you put between the oil filter and the oil housing???

Justin
Old 03-04-2005, 01:31 PM

ok gonna play stupid girl for a minute...exactly what is the purpose of this?...I was reading through the posts and was unsure why you would need another filtration system, and exactly what are the benefits from this?...isnt it just easier to change your oil at regular intervals and call it quits?..just wondering seein how i dont know alot bout diesel n filtration systems.
Thanks
~Heather~
Old 03-04-2005, 02:02 PM

Originally posted by azcwbyteaser
ok gonna play stupid girl for a minute...exactly what is the purpose of this?...I was reading through the posts and was unsure why you would need another filtration system, and exactly what are the benefits from this?...isnt it just easier to change your oil at regular intervals and call it quits?..just wondering seein how i dont know alot bout diesel n filtration systems.
Thanks
~Heather~
Well lets see...

You take a motor that will go 350,000 miles between overhauls (from the factory, I know that there are trucks out there with more on them without a rebuild) with non sythetic oil at the regular intervals; Add an oil filtration system that filters better then stock, and your oil change intervals go WAY up.

With the amsoil dual bypass w/ their oil you never have to change your oil.

Just change the filter and add a quart.

It is expensive to get the system started, but after the long haul you will save alot of money, the enviroment, and your motor.

Make sense??

Justin
Old 03-16-2005, 06:09 PM

Originally posted by BoostdCTD
I think Scotts is a favored one since it is simply flat and pretty tightly wound.

Did you have an issue with the pipe being a different diameter than a normal TP roll? I thought that is the reason why the older TP filter assemblys go a lot cheaper since they don't work directly with the new TP.
I did my first tp change on saturday. I used scott 1000 tp. The canister came off easily and the pull ring made taking the tp out of the canister a breeze. I measured the inside diameter of the roll and it matched the roll that was included with the filter. I discovered that you have to roll some of the tp off in order to fit the scott's in the canister. I placed the canister on the base and gave it a push and turn and then replaced the clamp band, no problem. I give it a thumbs up.

Quick Reply: Frantz oil filter install w pics