Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

FP Gage ?s

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2008, 02:23 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Fisherguy
No, it's a lot simpler to just put the needle valve at the CP3.
Thats all well and good if you have CP3. The OP has a VP44.
Old 08-30-2008, 12:29 PM

Now I am not sure whether or not to go with analog gages or something like a BD X-monitor.

Anyone have thoughts either way?
Old 08-30-2008, 12:35 PM

personally, i'd probably go with a good set of analog gauges. The BD moniter is very trick looking, but i just trust my mechanical gauges with no electrical senders and such. JMO
Old 08-30-2008, 02:34 PM

Analog you can look at quickly, without studying it. The digital ones you actually have to look at the number to see what its doing. Not sure how steady the digital readings are if you get pulsing either, the numbers might change too quickly to be able to read it very well.
Old 08-30-2008, 04:25 PM

This opens up a whole new can.

If I decide to go analog gages, it seems most think that mechanical is the way to go, and I would tend to agree.

What about fuel leaking, and in cab odors? I have a 4yr old nephew and this would not be good at all. Sure the ole Cummins can smell like it burns rich at times, but raw fuel smell in the cab would be unacceptable for me.

I guess the other struggle I am having right now is where to place it.

I see Geno's has the fuel filter cap mount, and the replacement banjo bolt.

Seems to me I would want to know fuel pressure at the pump, post filter.

I still don't understand the 'isolator' either. Is this to 'isolate' the fuel in the lines before it gets to the gage, thus measuring air pressure?

Thanks again for all the great advice thus far!
Old 08-30-2008, 04:28 PM
Chapter President

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The isolator has a diaphragm in it. Separating the fuel on one side and anti freeze on the other. The isolator will come with instructions. I'v had mine for 4 years and no problems.
Old 08-30-2008, 05:53 PM

i run fuel into my cab and t'd into my line going to my vp and i have no odors or such. i chose not to use my isolator....if you had bad pressure readings you would have to check the isolator then the gauge then the pump, so i chose to take out my isolator and eliminate that possiblilty for false readings and plum fuel straight to the gauge...
Old 08-30-2008, 06:06 PM

Originally Posted by DodgeDawg2500
This opens up a whole new can.

If I decide to go analog gages, it seems most think that mechanical is the way to go, and I would tend to agree.

What about fuel leaking, and in cab odors? I have a 4yr old nephew and this would not be good at all. Sure the ole Cummins can smell like it burns rich at times, but raw fuel smell in the cab would be unacceptable for me.

I guess the other struggle I am having right now is where to place it.

I see Geno's has the fuel filter cap mount, and the replacement banjo bolt.

Seems to me I would want to know fuel pressure at the pump, post filter.

I still don't understand the 'isolator' either. Is this to 'isolate' the fuel in the lines before it gets to the gage, thus measuring air pressure?

Thanks again for all the great advice thus far!
I have been running a mechanical fuel gauge without isolator for over four years now with no problems whatsoever. The isolator proved to be more hassle than it was worth as far as I am concerned. I was initially worried about fuel in the cab as well, but I use a braided stainless steel line to the gauge, and also a needle valve at the other end. Worst case scenario could be a very small drip, but I could always shut off the needle valve in case of a leak anyway.
mishkaya
Old 08-30-2008, 06:38 PM

Just a heads up, I'm pretty sure its illegal to run pressureized feul into your cab. The issolator may be leagal but straight feul is not. Run an electric , sender, the senders work fine. don't know why everyone distrusts an electric sender. You trust your oil pressure guage, the most important guage in your truck runs an electric sender. Can't say i would ever want feul pressre inside my cab. I run the electric sender from autometer, works great.
Old 08-30-2008, 06:47 PM

i dont believe its illegal in all states......might be something worth checking in to.....i know of alot more electrical senders going wrong then good analog gauges......JMO
Old 08-31-2008, 03:49 AM

Originally Posted by motochamp250
i dont believe its illegal in all states......might be something worth checking in to.....i know of alot more electrical senders going wrong then good analog gauges......JMO
Thats not to say it doesn't happen, but its not a daily occurance, and there is usually support with it. I've had my electrics for 3 years and no issues with them. The real test will be on the new ones in the 12v with a real pulsing pressure source. But if it does fail, autometer will back them up.
Old 08-31-2008, 12:08 PM

ya, i guess all in all its just down to personal preference...
Old 08-31-2008, 09:57 PM

Thanks yet again for all the information.

I was looking at Genos, and they have a Westach gage for $79, I think.

Seems like a good deal to me. I might do the other gages later, but definitely think the fuel pressure gage is a necessity.

Any opnions on Westach? Seems like most go with Autometer or ISSPRO.

On a side note-

I have already replaced the VP-44 once. For that matter I have replaced the LP as well (in-tank dealer installed). Both pumps were done under warranty.