Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

found out i have a short throw shifter installed!!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2005, 11:27 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up found out i have a short throw shifter installed!!!

bought the truck used and modded...but never realized how modded

it came with a banks power system, FASS, FAST tranny coolers, a new clutch (unsure of grade, but its made by LUK)

and as i found out today a short throw shifter. i was pulling everything apart for my clutch install when i saw that shifter sitting very high on a 1" (maybe larger) spacer made of anodized machined aluminum...and the shift lever itself inside is very long. im assuming its the BD short throw kit that moves the fulcrum point up to shorten the throw.

on a side now, the stock clutch was toast, friction material is down to rivets and flywheel and pressure plate are very blued, and visibly worn. getting flywheel ground tomorrow and hopefully everything back together by wednesday
Old 08-21-2005, 11:35 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cool.

Usually the only goodies I find in my vehicles are dead animals, superglued components and beer cans. (Well, the cops usually find the beer cans... )
Old 08-21-2005, 11:37 PM
Banned

the last goody i found was after owning my truck for 10 months...i found the banks ottomind box under the dash...but when my IP was replaced by the dealer, i removed the banks stuff...installed new gauges and just ran my DD3's and van aaken.

next step after this clutch is a comp box
Old 08-21-2005, 11:53 PM

Same happened to me, I broke the shifter off and decided to replace it with a BD short shift. So when the day came to install it, I removed the cover and their it was a busted BD short shift!
Old 08-22-2005, 07:32 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
How on earth did u break the shifter off?
Old 08-22-2005, 09:38 AM

Well, the nut that snugs the handle to the base and distributes the load had backed off a thread or two. This put all the force on just the threads, and they cracked. It was at a stoplight and when I went to put it in second to take off the handle came off in my hand. Luckily i was able to get it in third and get home, although it was slow going. If you ever notice your handle getting loose, tighten it right away.
Old 08-22-2005, 09:49 AM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
It's somewhat common for the ball at the end of the stock shift lever to wear out.
Symptom is you can't shift out of the gear you are in.
There is no replacement lever available, you have to buy a whole new tranny or find a used lever.
Good money to be made selling your old lever if you replace it with a BD short shift.
Old 08-22-2005, 10:30 AM
Banned

i wish i had the stock lever then...

i have had my shifter come loose at those threads and I pulled the boot to tighten it up good.

its just odd to take things apart and find more aftermarket parts installed...i was hoping to pull it apart and find a south bend clutch...but as far as i can tell its a stocker...it has the LUK stampings on the pressure plate etc.

does anyone know what the weight of a 6spd flywheel is...im assuming its around 60-70 lbs because its not easy to move around.
Old 08-23-2005, 12:20 AM

I hope you are talking about your truck

Sorry couldn't resist!!!