Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

Formula 1 Mach 4 Injector???

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2007, 07:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Formula 1 Mach 4 Injector???

I just recently installed a set of Mach 4's. I'm wondering if I did something wrong here. My truck has a HRVP44 and idles with a lope. Since I put in the Mach 4's, the idle is twice as bad. It idles so bad that I want to remove them and put in the old jammers. I was told that these are the smoothest, beast injector money can buy!!! I came across 3 small pools of diesel under each injector line nut at the head. All connections are tight. Did I tighten them too tight? Did I scar a O ring? Any advice? The truck smoked white on start up after installing the new injectors and idled at 1100 rpm. I'm lost!!!
Old 08-27-2007, 08:02 PM

Take it all apart, visually inspect each injector feed hole, ensure the copper washers are all there, inspect the crossover tubes for damage, nicks, dents to the rounded bevel that goes into the injector, usually want to repalce the crossover tube oring as well. Inpsect the seat on the feed line too.

One downside to having so many joints on the fuel system is multiple places where one place isnt sealing perfect messes ya all up.
Old 08-27-2007, 08:56 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Hmm-- sounds like it could be a conflict between M4 and HRVP?

Ditto to Timmay's post.

I had to install my M4s twice-- operator error. The fuel system is very sensive to tq sequence, alignment, etc. It has to be *just so*, you know?
Old 08-27-2007, 08:58 PM
Chapter President

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
On the round bevels that Timmay2 mentioned you can use a fine Emory cloth to smooth out any rough surface defects.

Anytime you replace injectors it's a good idea to replace the o-rings on the connector tubes.
Old 08-27-2007, 09:00 PM

New Mach 4's from one of the F1 dealers or used ones? Reason I ask is there at least at one time a lot of non Mach injectors on the used market being advertised as Mach's.

I would guess it is the installation. I would crack the injector nuts one by one to bleed air from the lines until it smooths out. That would be my guess.
Old 08-27-2007, 11:20 PM

They are new from Powerbypoole. I pulled them all out and they all looked like they were seated good. All the tube o-rings looked good and the delivery tube ends looked not too bad. I'm curious if the injectors are intensifing the HRVP lope because they are a large injector? I will find out tomorrow if removing them and re-installing them made a difference. Don't want to wake the crabby neighbour at 11:00 pm and have the cops on my tail again. Maybe it's time to go to the SO pump???
Old 08-28-2007, 12:22 AM
Chapter President

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Well that sux.. Tell the neighbors to give you a hand instead!!! I noticed a pretty choppy idle when you were at the AAB.. Tate said that was normal for the HRVP...
Old 08-28-2007, 12:37 AM

Just my opinion, but if you are seeing fuel on the head, you have an issue some where.

The o-rings could be bad and causing the leak. But, if the fuel is getting past the tube in the center of the nut, you most likely do not have the correct torque or you over tightened the tubes and wasted the tips.

Are you torquing the nuts??

The injector pump is what will cause the lope. The injector should not make it worse as it still requires a given amount of pressure to pop the injector. This is why I think you may have a high pressure leak and not a simple o-ring leak. The o-ring does not seal the high pressure fuel. It may contain it, but the purpose is to kerp the fuel in the return rail heading back to the rear of the engine.

Dave
Old 08-28-2007, 08:15 AM

jumping aboard
Old 08-28-2007, 09:00 AM

How in the world does a guy torque the tube nuts with an open ended 19mm wrench??? Where do I pick up the proper tool to torque the tube nuts? I tirqued the injector hold down tabs to 80 inch pounds and just tightened the tube nuts to tight??
Old 08-28-2007, 09:53 AM
Banned

Get a 19mm Box end and grind a section out wide enough for the injector line to pass through.
Old 08-28-2007, 09:57 AM

My bet is you have a leak going into one of the injectors from the pools of diesel showing up... Not getting the proper pressure to pop the injector or at least out of sink..

I just upgraded from a Jammer 5 to a F1 Mach 6.5 and idle is smoother than ever, EGTs are LOWER than the Jammers and smoke is down as well... Very good injector
Old 08-28-2007, 10:08 AM

Originally Posted by timbeaux38
Get a 19mm Box end and grind a section out wide enough for the injector line to pass through.
Oh.... I like that! Still strong enough...won't break? A weekend project! Might grind the other end off too ...to make it skinny-ier.

I have a set of stubbys that make getting to #5 & #6 a lot easier.... but then the problem is getting them tight enough.

RJ
Old 08-28-2007, 10:10 AM

I have the shaved 19mm wrench to tighten but I'm not sure on how a guy torques the nuts and to what torque??
Old 08-28-2007, 10:14 AM

Good question! I just go 1/8 turn past snug and check for leaks.

RJ

Quick Reply: Formula 1 Mach 4 Injector???