Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

forget the draw straws!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2010, 11:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
forget the draw straws!!!!

www.hellmannperformance.com/

Check out the new suction relocation
Old 04-25-2010, 10:47 PM

Looks interesting. Their website does not really explain much.
Old 04-25-2010, 11:49 PM
Chapter President

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
IIRC it goes in the bottom of the tank? I remember seeing one on BigBadDodges site for his tow rig..

http://bigbaddodge.com/BBDII-towrigs.html

If you go to the bottom of the page it shows it installed..
Old 04-26-2010, 01:19 AM

i like the idea of putting it low in the tank rather than sucking up.

i would worry about something plugging it though easier than a pickup tube could get plugged. anyone know if a screen comes with it to prevent this from possibly happening?
Old 04-26-2010, 08:01 AM

the mag "diesel power" just did an article on project rust bucket where they installed this sump instead of a draw straw. they dont go into much detail about it though.
Old 04-29-2010, 10:02 AM

I have one.
No screen.
You just remove the tank, use a hole saw to cut a hole in the bottom and bolt it in.
I think it's been out for over a year now.
Old 04-29-2010, 10:32 AM

Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts
Originally Posted by bigmack2500
www.hellmannperformance.com/

Check out the new suction relocation
Finally a fuel pickup that's almost fool proof. They should have incorporated a sump drain so that moisture can be drained and also fuel sampled. That would be easy to do with just a Tee though.
Old 04-29-2010, 02:27 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Doj Dewd
i like the idea of putting it low in the tank rather than sucking up.
I think there might be a reason why fuel pick-ups are not located in the lowest point of the tank and most tanks have sumps. Perhaps accumulating sludge, grit and water would be one such reason?
I personally prefer not to get these unwelcome ingredients into my fuel system in a purposely increased concentration. If they do get in, there will be less when fuel is sloshing around then when they get sucked in after settling to the bottom of the sump.
Old 04-30-2010, 12:36 AM

For any nay sayers, go check out any Peterbilt, KW or other large semi-truck. The fuel tanks have a similar sump in the bottom. Its all about watching what you put in the tank. Stay away from dirty fuel cans or off-road nozzles and this sump would be great.
Old 04-30-2010, 09:08 AM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
A sump is a good idea to give the crap a place to accumulate. Pulling fuel from that place, not as much a good idea.

If you pulled your fuel from the SIDE of the sump protrusion instead of the dead bottom, then likelihood of junk ingestion goes down. It appears the Hellman unit wisely pulls from the side, probably for this reason. Keep in mind that water will go dead to the bottom. A water drain on any sump is a good idea. You don't want to even pump water, never mind get it close to the engine.
Old 05-01-2010, 09:39 AM

I can say when I pulled the tank to do this on my 187,000 mile, 17 year old truck, there was nothing for dirt or sludge in the bottom.
It was very clean.
I plan on running a 100 micron inline wire mesh filter from Jegs or Summit between my sump and the new pump.
Old 05-02-2010, 07:40 PM

I like that shifter and intake manifold.
Old 05-02-2010, 09:14 PM

i jsut saw someone put this thing in. i cant remember who it was tho. i want to run one. hmm i may have to machine one this week?
Old 05-02-2010, 09:30 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Id be really careful of modifying my tank like this were I you folks.
Looks like a really sturdy product, BUT.. these tanks are designed with the pickup on top for a reason. Thats because you dont want any potential for a leak in the tank, -especially- at the lowest point in it.
I think there may be some laws regarding this. Maybe at the federal level Im not sure.
You dont want a big 'gotcha' someday if you have an accident and the insurance guys find out you modded something that contributed to a fire, etc.
BTW, I used a draw straw and instead of sticking the straw to the bottom of the bucket I used a hose and the original pickup inside it. Theres a float and some one-way valves in there that allows fuel in during positive waves of fuel and hold it inside against dips in level.
Old 05-03-2010, 02:53 PM

Originally Posted by dhutch
For any nay sayers, go check out any Peterbilt, KW or other large semi-truck. The fuel tanks have a similar sump in the bottom. Its all about watching what you put in the tank. Stay away from dirty fuel cans or off-road nozzles and this sump would be great.
They aren't in the very very bottom though. the pick up is usually in about the 5 o'clock position or so, leaving room at the very bottom to collect crud. Even in medium duty trucks, with the square step tanks, they usually come out about an inch from the bottom. Many trucks still use a draw straw, though, and the line at the bottom of the tank is just a cross over to keep the levels even, unless the lift pump is placed between the tanks, and it will draw evenly between the 2 tanks.

Quick Reply: forget the draw straws!!!!