Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

Flowmaster or Straight pipe??

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2003, 04:24 AM
Chapter President

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Flowmaster or Straight pipe??

To many toys, to many desions! I have heard different stories on the straight pipe, to me sounds good, but leaving some kind of a muffler may be better? I have talked with some guys up here and they sugest "flomaster" or "banks system", and everyone has went against my decision for the straight pipe. They say it will be to loud! I am 30yrs, what is to loud? ... Should I straight pipe it or dump the resinator and muffler and go with a aftermarket muffler. ???
Old 03-08-2003, 06:13 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re:Flowmaster or Straight pipe??

straight pipe wont be too loud inside the truck. been there done that, but to me it was gosh awful loud out side. been a drag racer most of my life 65 years old put on a flowmaster.
Old 03-08-2003, 06:47 AM

I recently pondered over the same questions. I tried straight pipe for about a half an hour and it is loud as heck! I didn't want to spend $400.00+ on a complete system so I got a Dynomax Super Turbo muffler from Jegs. Well I wish I would have spent a little more on a Flowmaster because I can barely tell a difference from the stock muffler/resonator. :'( I'm not sure how much louder the Flowmaster will be but if you get one, let us know if you can tell a difference.
Old 03-08-2003, 06:59 AM

I straight piped mine last week. It is not that loud. I use to have a 72 chevy half ton with packs that was about the same. It sounds real throaty at idle. When I'm going down the road at wot you can here it a little more.<br>Scooter
Old 03-08-2003, 07:24 AM

Check out the DTT exhaust system too. 4&quot;, aluminized 16ga almost 14ga wall thickness. The muffler is a straight thru design, and can be oriented for &quot;loud&quot; or &quot;quiet&quot; installation. Hangers and clamps included.
Old 03-08-2003, 08:32 AM

Keep in mind the Flowmaster was designed to use pulses of the exhaust. A turbo engine doesn't really have much, if any, pulses. You may notice an EGT difference between a Flow and a straight thru muffler. Food for thought.
Old 03-08-2003, 09:14 AM

Jegs and Summit make a nice 4&quot; turbo back system. Pay no attention to them saying it only fits '99 and up, it went onto my '96 without a hitch, only $299.<br><br>John<br><br>

Trending Topics

Old 03-08-2003, 09:29 AM
jt

with the lifetime of our motors, why would you not go with a full Stainless system.<br><br>jt
Old 03-08-2003, 10:16 AM
Banned

Mine is straight pipe dumped under the bed. It is loud on the inside, but only around 1800-2000 rpm. It produces a droan right there. I can raise or lower that rpm droan by shortening or lengthening the exhaust. It is VERY loud outside the truck. I keep wanting to do over the axle with a 5&quot; chrome tip though just to see what it would sound like. Stay away from Flowmaster. They will actually hurt your performance and it really won't make any difference in sound. My dad put dual flow's on his 6.5L chevy and you can't even hear it. Even if your standing behind the truck. If you don't want to go with the whole 4&quot; exhaust, go with a straight thru muffler like a Dynomax Bullet or similar design. If that's not loud enough, ditch the resonator and put a piece of pipe in it's place. Geno's garage I believe sells a kit that replaces just the piping between the resonator and muffler, effectively eliminating those two pieces.
Old 03-08-2003, 04:37 PM

Stainless exhaust is a waste of money on a diesel engine. Gas engines.....that's a different story.
Old 03-08-2003, 04:51 PM

i would go with just straight pipe! thats what i did with both my truck my 93 and 99. i think my 93 is louder and defenetly sounds better! its loud outside the cab both u can barely tell the difference in the cab! i have been running my 93 with a straight pipe for over 2 years now i havent had any problem with cops or anything about being to loud! u get alot of looks from people on the street as u drive by and it sure echoes off buildings ITS GREAT!! take care.
Old 03-08-2003, 05:17 PM

[move][glow=blue, 2, 300]STRIAGHT PIPE!!!![/glow][/move]
Old 03-08-2003, 06:31 PM

Everybody has their preferance. Flowmaster makes good mufflers for gas and diesels. I got one and have no complaints. The right noise level without sacrafice of performance. Got a good price on it as well.
Old 03-08-2003, 08:48 PM

Straight pipe!! its real easy to do yourself it is straight through no curves buy 2 new exhaust clamps and some pipe and have them swell the ends to slip right over the old pipe and bingo you will wake up all those sleepy drivers by the way when I leave the yard dad says I sound just like a big truck and if I visit the neighbors which own a feed lot he comes to the door thinking hes getting another load of cattle in I LOVE IT !!!!!! ;D
Old 03-08-2003, 10:44 PM
4x4
Banned

Just installed a 4&quot; Jardine system. Fit and finish was excellent. All the hangers matched up exactly with the factory hangers. Plenty of clearance around the frame. From start to finish 3.5 hours in the driveway. Excellent sound and at WOT plenty of sound. Can hear the turbo much better now and spool-up is quicker. Haven't towed with it but it looks like EGTs are down 100 deg empty cruise. My factory stainless system was beginning to get thin on the last bend before the tip. 5 years on a stainless system is not very long especially since I live well below the rust belt. Very happy with the new BOMB. Got it from Windsor-fox. They are running a special on them thru the end of the month.

Quick Reply: Flowmaster or Straight pipe??