Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

First towing/highway trip with the Mach 1.6s

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2006, 01:37 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
First towing/highway trip with the Mach 1.6s

Recently got to put about 430 miles on my truck, half of that towing my buddies 71 Dodge Dart on a car hauler.

Drove from Bozeman to Missoula empty. Which is about 220 miles. Not very flat, pretty much up and down the whole way. Elevation from 7000 ft to 3000 ft. Some good mountain passes. Had some nasty crosswinds. Set the cruise at 80 MPH and when I stopped, I ended up with 19.7 MPG. Overhead read 22.5 MPG, but was obviously way off. Which is not too bad. Truck got about 20 when it had the 265s and just the VanAaken. EGTs were no problem and power was not even a thought. EGTs were about 750 cruising but would go up to 950 or so on steep passes. The truck is amusing to drive up the passes with.

The way back, with about a 5000 lb load(I'm guessing) was pretty easy. Set the cruise at 77 MPH. Cruising temps around 875. Built 1050 or so on some steeper hills. How ever when I came to two of the steepest mountain passes, were I had slow down to 65 or so for turns and get back on it, EGTs went up to around 1275 at which point I downshifted to 5th which cooled temps way down. Then accelerated back to 80 MPH when it straightened out and upshifted to 6th. If the RPM dropped below 1750 or so, I needed to downshift on the steeper grades to reduce EGTs. If I kept my speed above 75 then I had no issues. Other then that I had no problems. EGTs in 5th, going 70-75 MPH were no problem. Around 1000 or so. When I got back, mileage was at 13.1 MPG.

This was with the Juice in Level One by 3. I should of turned it off to see how it effected temps, but forgot.

Keep in mind my truck has 35s and 3.55 gears. I think if I towed 10k plus, I would want 4.10s or smaller tires. But 35s and 3.55s are no problem with light loads.

Overall, I like the power of injectors, but they are close to being a little hot, especially if I towed heavier. I think the RVs or Mach 1s would be a better choice for the high elevation heavier towing HOs. Also, I am a little dissapointed with the mileage. Was expecting a slight increase, but have gotten a slight decrease instead(down .5 or so). But the power is nice.

Just my 2 cents.
Old 06-15-2006, 08:19 PM

Thats one of my concerns with towing in the Sierras at 7000 feet.
Would you feel comfortable letting a non-diesel person drive your
truck in the mountains ,towing 6000#, knowing that they don't
watch the EGT gauge like the rest of us. I am looking for a setup
thats safe towing with 7000# , even if I'm not the driver
Old 06-16-2006, 10:43 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
This really is the top of the slippery slope of diesel performance. With the Juice and 1.6's you are at the top end of what the stock turbo can handle. The nice think about an adjustable box (Juice, Comp, etc), is that you can turn it down, or off when towing. For your setup you would probably have more useable power with a larger turbo, like a Dodgezilla, or a HTB2 62/12, but with a 6 speed, and your setup, you are probably in a really good place. When I had Mach 1.5's (1.6's weren't out yet),Comp box, and a Dodgezilla turbo. I would just turn the Comp off if someone else was going to drive. No heat issues. I do the same think now, but it's not for heat, it's because letting someone tow with a pickup that makes over 600hp, is very scary!

I'm sure someone will disagree with this but 450hp is about the top end of what is useable when towing. I'm not talking about heat, or durablity, or anything like that, but what you can actually safely put to the ground when towing. You probably have enough fuel right now to do ~420hp. You are of course a little short on the air side, to make that much hp, but as you said you can turn the box down, or off, and tow, and still have reasonable EGT's. When not towing, you have plenty of fuel for hotrodding!

Paul

Paul
Old 06-16-2006, 11:23 AM

I sometimes debate my decision for getting rid of my PDR HX-35 for my HTB2-62/14; I probally should have added a large second for twins. With RV-275's, the temps stayed lower than they do now with my 1.6's. Unloaded in town and on the highway, it is a monster, even with the TST turned off. But even with the TST off, you can quite easily see 1100 if you aren't building any boost, cruising along, and move into low to medium hills....at or near sea level. Add a trailer, even worse. You must know what your doing regarding boost and temps.
No. I very, very rarely lend my truck to anyone, much less anyone without diesel experience.
Old 06-16-2006, 11:54 AM

I would stick RVs or Mach 1s to avoid heat issues

It is fine now, you just need to watch your EGTs and RPM.

I would not lone my truck to someone to drive with a trailer. I would empty though.
Old 06-16-2006, 04:00 PM

The safest route, if you are towing ,I think is to stick with RV275
or Mach 1 injectors. Then add a fueling box like the APB or TST,
that you can turn on for "fun" and turn off for towing
Old 06-16-2006, 11:20 PM

Agreed

Mine is not in anyway unmanageable, you just need to watch your EGTs and pick your gear and RPM.

Next time I'm towing a heavy load, I will turn the Juice off and see if EGTs go down at all.
Old 06-17-2006, 12:29 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I see no EGT issues at all in the winter. In summer I cant keep my foot to the floor but its not hard to control and I would never let anyone tow with my truck thats mine I have other ones I let people use or tow with