Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

First ride with my new Mach 5's

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2008, 03:19 PM
The Guru

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You're pulling more boost now with the truck and the woof is you're surging the turbocharger compressor. Have you adjusted the stock wastegate? You could damage the turbo on a hard surge. A blow-off valve would fix the surge issue. Thats how you wipe thrust bearings, break shafts, rub compressor impellers, and so on. They sell them on ebay for import ricer wagons, cheap. A blow-off valve would fix the stall issue. Stick guys do lots of surging during shifting. Its just a device to dump off the higher boost pressure thats trying to go back thru the turbocharger and not thru the engine as you taken you're foot off the throttle quickly.
Old 11-19-2008, 03:35 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Mike Holmen
You're pulling more boost now with the truck and the woof is you're surging the turbocharger compressor. Have you adjusted the stock wastegate? You could damage the turbo on a hard surge. A blow-off valve would fix the surge issue. Thats how you wipe thrust bearings, break shafts, rub compressor impellers, and so on. They sell them on ebay for import ricer wagons, cheap. A blow-off valve would fix the stall issue. Stick guys do lots of surging during shifting. Its just a device to dump off the higher boost pressure thats trying to go back thru the turbocharger and not thru the engine as you taken you're foot off the throttle quickly.
I adjusted my wastegate to 45psi when I had the Edge comp. Then Quad released the Adrenaline & I saw 50psi without readjusting the wastegate. Quad released the custom tuning & I installed the M5's, now I'm seeing 56psi....maybe more.
Old 11-19-2008, 03:54 PM
Chapter President

What's your drive pressure?
Old 11-19-2008, 05:50 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Mike D
What's your drive pressure?
Never tested it actually. I was going to research "how to check drive pressure". Just never got around to it.
Old 11-20-2008, 08:28 AM
Chapter President

Might be worth checking.

Also here is a new actuator from bullseye.

http://www.bullseyepower.com/news.asp?id=47
Old 11-20-2008, 08:55 AM
The Guru

I wouldn't bother, you'll probably wouldn't like what you find out. How high is you're egt's? If you have sky high egt's, you have high drive pressure. Usually they go together. You could put in a pressure gauge into the drilled hole for your pyro probe. Just put about 2ft of metal brake tubing and then put in the fittings for you're pressure gauge. This is to keep stuff from melting down and causing an exhaust leak. Most guys run twins with injectors this sized or a really big single. 56+psi out a single, is probably at the top of its compressor curve and wouldn't be good idea to bark the turbo it at that amount of boost pressure. A blow-off valve might be a good idea as well as it might save you money on a turbo, down the road. High egt's , high boost pressure and high drive pressure equals a blow head gasket, just food for thought. Its also hard on the valve seats, they crack with low egt's, high egt's just speed-up up things.
Old 11-20-2008, 10:20 AM
Chapter President

One of the good things about having a 99 is you don't have to worry about dropping a valve seat, but they can still crack none the less.

55 psi of boost is pushing it with that charger even with the big exhaust wheel. I would try to back it down around 48-50 psi.
Old 11-20-2008, 10:31 AM

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts
One of the good things about having a 99 is you don't have to worry about dropping a valve seat, but they can still crack none the less.

55 psi of boost is pushing it with that charger even with the big exhaust wheel. I would try to back it down around 48-50 psi.
How about my 98 24v? I have ATS Aurora 3000&5000 twins waiting for install with mach 6's. I have 110lbs hamilton springs and hd pushrods and fireringed gasket+ grooves on the head only.

My valve seats were little expanded but the shop machined those right.

I was planning to get so much boost as it's possible with my injectors, I think it could go somewhere around 60-70psi.

Mike Holmen: Do you like your Mach 6's? Did they change the sound of the engine and how is it running with those? Any thoughts?
Old 11-20-2008, 10:46 AM
The Guru

They are good sticks, and have good street manors. What elevation you at? If you're at higher elevation, you might have some smoke. If you're at sea level, you should have hardly any smoke. They make decent power. If you're putting that much stuff into the motor, you should consider a camshaft. I'm just using stock valve springs and push-rods. I think that the DDP250 sticks more power, but do smoke. I haven't sent mine into F1 to see how the nozzles are doing, but ignorace is a good thing. I've put three heads on this motor. They will crack, its just a matter of time and if you care if it happens. Which turbos are the ATS twin set-up? You might run out of air at the top end wot pull. What injection pump you going with? A stock SO pump, might not have enough fuel for the sticks. The big sticks like new/fresh rebuilt VP, to get the most power. I have yet to put a decent hard pull on my new NADP hotrod VP, but I don't have the lack of fuel issue that I have with my last 5 SO pumps. Just fixed a vapor lock issue, but that another story. Bad fuel=heart ache
Old 11-20-2008, 10:58 AM
Chapter President

I believe 98.5-2000 all had induction hardened valve seats.

I ran Mach 6's for a while and really liked them. I'm now running 7+'s but like Mike said, my pump isn't new anymore so I'm probably not getting full use out of them.
Old 11-20-2008, 11:42 AM

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts
They are good sticks, and have good street manors. What elevation you at? If you're at higher elevation, you might have some smoke. If you're at sea level, you should have hardly any smoke. They make decent power. If you're putting that much stuff into the motor, you should consider a camshaft. I'm just using stock valve springs and push-rods. I think that the DDP250 sticks more power, but do smoke. I haven't sent mine into F1 to see how the nozzles are doing, but ignorace is a good thing. I've put three heads on this motor. They will crack, its just a matter of time and if you care if it happens. Which turbos are the ATS twin set-up? You might run out of air at the top end wot pull. What injection pump you going with? A stock SO pump, might not have enough fuel for the sticks. The big sticks like new/fresh rebuilt VP, to get the most power. I have yet to put a decent hard pull on my new NADP hotrod VP, but I don't have the lack of fuel issue that I have with my last 5 SO pumps. Just fixed a vapor lock issue, but that another story. Bad fuel=heart ache
I have stock factory 110k mile SO pump and I'm on the sea level, Finland is kind of a flat country.
I'm not so eager to change my camshaft at the moment because I have a 300 pound aftermarket bumper and I haven't tried my truck yet with these new parts. Including Twins, mach 6's, fireringed head, head studs,stacks and quadzilla.

I don't have any specific info with my ATS twins, I only know that the smaller is Aurora 3000 and the bigger is 5000, the compressor wheel of the bigger charger is 72mm. Bd twins bottom compressor wheel is 68mm. They promise total flow of 1700 cfm, but that does not tell anything.
Here's some info of the bigger charger, Aurora 5000:
http://209.85.129.132/search?q=cache...lnk&cd=3&gl=fi

Here's the smaller Aurora 3000:
http://www.gautoparts.com/product_p/ats-aur-3-d-02.htm

And this is the ATS ad:
http://www.atsdiesel.com/ats_new/pdf...2272202942.pdf

Ahh, shame, I thought these heads are basicly bullet proof after fireringing under 80psi of boost... What's the normal life span of the cylinder head under these conditions? About?

How about fuel consumption with my mods? Before those, I got 13-17mpg.

Thanks guys for in advance.

ps: J Lent, I have been showing your videos to my friends and we all were very excited about the 4200rpm. That's sick!
Old 11-20-2008, 03:24 PM
Banned

Might be worth checking.

Also here is a new actuator from bullseye.

http://www.bullseyepower.com/news.asp?id=47

I will bak it down some. I'm thinking that the heat may be from too much boost. This charger has got to be out of its range. Thanks man.
Old 11-20-2008, 03:36 PM
Banned

I wouldn't bother, you'll probably wouldn't like what you find out. How high is you're egt's? If you have sky high egt's, you have high drive pressure. Usually they go together. You could put in a pressure gauge into the drilled hole for your pyro probe. Just put about 2ft of metal brake tubing and then put in the fittings for you're pressure gauge. This is to keep stuff from melting down and causing an exhaust leak. Most guys run twins with injectors this sized or a really big single. 56+psi out a single, is probably at the top of its compressor curve and wouldn't be good idea to bark the turbo it at that amount of boost pressure. A blow-off valve might be a good idea as well as it might save you money on a turbo, down the road. High egt's , high boost pressure and high drive pressure equals a blow head gasket, just food for thought. Its also hard on the valve seats, they crack with low egt's, high egt's just speed-up up things.
I've done multiple runs this week with different setups & recorded them with my datalogger. These runs were done with all setting on kill [Adrenaline custom tuning] & Redline at 95%

Redline/Adrenaline stack.
Speed 94
EGT 1684
RPM 4042
Boost 54

Adrenaline/ Smarty revo [sw4]
Speed 89
EGT 1547
RPM 3350
boost 52

Adrenaline/Smarty revo sw4
Speed 96
EGT 1832
RPM 4081
boost 54
Old 11-20-2008, 04:49 PM

why couldnt you go with a bigger charger or exhaust housing, on our pulling tractors when we start getting high egts we start changing exhaust housings, if your drive pressure is that high a bigger ex housing would help you out alot, i know on our puller we see as much as 93lbs drive pressure, but we are limited to a 3 in turbo and changing the housing one size dropped it abot 15 lbs. just some thoughts.
Old 11-20-2008, 05:54 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Tingram
why couldnt you go with a bigger charger or exhaust housing, on our pulling tractors when we start getting high egts we start changing exhaust housings, if your drive pressure is that high a bigger ex housing would help you out alot, i know on our puller we see as much as 93lbs drive pressure, but we are limited to a 3 in turbo and changing the housing one size dropped it abot 15 lbs. just some thoughts.
I tow heavy & don't want lag. The Mach 5's are very driveable & only get hot on a hard high rpm pull. My plans were to only run the 5's for pulling & Dragon flies for DD. I am surprised how cool these injectors are, nothing to worry about.

Quick Reply: First ride with my new Mach 5's