Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

first performance upgrades: VA/RV275

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2006, 12:05 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
first performance upgrades: VA/RV275

so today I got my first actual performance upgrades installed. First got the valves adjusted and installed the RV275 injectors. immediately noticed how much quieter the motor was from inside the truck... not as much rattle. outside it sounds like I may hear the injectors, or maybe the pump clicking more... but anyway. The performance gain (unloaded of course) was barely noticeable... if at all since I was really looking for a difference and wasn't sure if I was really feeling one...

then installed the VA and pretty much the same thing... didn't really feel a difference at first. Maybe I was expecting too much. but after I stopped flooring it and expecting something more than was happening, and started driving it more like I would normally, I really started to notice. There is a serious increase in power that comes on suddenly just over 1500 rpms. and it just pulls hard on up to the top. slight throttle changes is where I really feel it though. like it is just more responsive... slightly more throttle and bam, here comes the whistle and bam. I really can't wait to get a load behind this thing. I guess I need to go wheeling so I have an excuse.

one thing I have noticed though, is a slight stumble at idle when I got it home from the last trip around town today. almost like a gasser truck that has an intermittent miss. anyone experienced this and have any ideas?

another question... now that I have a boost fooler, I guess I need to start figuring out how to get a bit more boost. the only "J-hooks" I can find though are for the automatics. Can someone tell me what the manual tranny guys do?
Old 01-13-2006, 12:57 AM

I've got the same stumble. I previously had a EZ which came with a boost elbow and that is what I'm using with the VA. I'm sure you can pick one up from any diesel performance shop and or many of the vendors. With my truck and the VA it gives me 27 - 28 lbs of boost with stock injectors. You will probably see a little more with your injectors. You will also see a little better fuel mileage if you can keep your foot out of it.
Old 01-13-2006, 12:59 AM

I'm about to install rv275's and the VA as well. I just finished my BHAF, Outerwears and shield and I'm just waiting for my guages to arrive. The valve adjustment sounds like a good idea. Perhaps upgrading your fuel supply to a FASS or similar, you may see more of that 105 hp you should be getting.
Old 01-13-2006, 08:18 AM

Originally Posted by Barry St John
I've got the same stumble. I previously had a EZ which came with a boost elbow and that is what I'm using with the VA.
No idea why we have the stumble? has anyone previously talked about this and/or how to remedy it? is it a results of the injectors or the box, do you know?

Why'd you switch from the EZ to the VA?

Does anyone have any ideas or links to where I can get a boost elbow?
Old 01-13-2006, 08:51 AM

well, here's what I found... this is it, right?
Old 01-13-2006, 10:39 AM
Chapter President

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by micah
well, here's what I found... this is it, right?
Yup, that is what you need......or you can just block the wastegate with a 1/8" NPT pipe plug......but I would just go with the boost elbow for now........the best solution is to get an adjustable wastegate control like the Turbo Master.
Old 01-13-2006, 10:42 AM
Chapter President

I found a great pic in USCGtraveler's gallery of the Turbo Master installed...

Trending Topics

Old 01-13-2006, 10:50 AM
P.J
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
He's got a 2001, he can use an elbow (correct?) I have hard lines, I thought I would be looking for a turnbuckle when I get a VA?..\
Someone enlighten me too.........
Old 01-13-2006, 11:12 AM

Originally Posted by P.J
He's got a 2001, he can use an elbow (correct?) I have hard lines, I thought I would be looking for a turnbuckle when I get a VA?..\
Someone enlighten me too.........
I think the diff is that you have an auto, and therefore an HY which has to use a J-hook or turnbuckle.
Old 01-13-2006, 11:25 AM
Chapter President

Originally Posted by micah
I think the diff is that you have an auto, and therefore an HY which has to use a J-hook or turnbuckle.
Correct......the HX35 on manuals can use the boost elbow......the HY35 on autos is hard lined and cannot accommadate the elbow so a turn buckle or J hook is used but better yet would be to use the Turbo Master on the HY too.
Old 01-13-2006, 11:37 AM
P.J
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Thanks, I have yet to be left hanging with you guys.
Old 01-16-2006, 01:26 PM
Banned

The stumble you feel is the stock ecm defueling program, which will defuel at hard takeoff, and 1-2 shift, and at 2700rpm. "CATCHER" in my sig solved this, and gave it much more power throughout. Although with bigger injectors and/or box you can still cause a hesitation if you floor it from start. If you feather it slightly first(no more than half throttle), then floor it you will have full benefit of 'CATCHER" , it made a huge difference powerwise .

The new "Smarty" which is in testing now will also do away with stock de-fueling, but also has the adjustability that the original "CATCHER" doesn't. When I had stock tranny with just shift kit, and just the "CATCHER" it had no hesitation anywhere, but when I added injectors it made it more pronounced from the overfueling, as did the tighter torque converter. Any way you look at it it is superior to stock ecm parameters.
Old 01-16-2006, 03:16 PM

I have an EZ, rv275 and 4".
The difference with the 275 for me was the same difference as installing the EZ. My dodge is really awake now...
Old 01-16-2006, 04:49 PM

Originally Posted by TORQUE
The stumble you feel is the stock ecm defueling program, which will defuel at hard takeoff, and 1-2 shift, and at 2700rpm. "CATCHER" in my sig solved this, and gave it much more power throughout. Although with bigger injectors and/or box you can still cause a hesitation if you floor it from start. If you feather it slightly first(no more than half throttle), then floor it you will have full benefit of 'CATCHER" , it made a huge difference powerwise .

The new "Smarty" which is in testing now will also do away with stock de-fueling, but also has the adjustability that the original "CATCHER" doesn't. When I had stock tranny with just shift kit, and just the "CATCHER" it had no hesitation anywhere, but when I added injectors it made it more pronounced from the overfueling, as did the tighter torque converter. Any way you look at it it is superior to stock ecm parameters.

It's sort of misleading to say that the Smarty is "adjustable" It *does* have 10 different sotwares you can install, but you CANNOT switch between them on the fly. To change SWs requires a brief 2-minute ECM reflash.

So it's variable, but not on-the-fly like a Comp or TST box.
Old 01-17-2006, 11:27 PM
Banned

Was unaware that you could not adjust the new "Smarty" on the fly, like the comp,(I haven't seen much info on them), that might be a setback with it though, not being able to adjust "on the fly". I like having the adjustability with my right foot, with my original "CATCHER"

Quick Reply: first performance upgrades: VA/RV275