Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

First drive observations with the SMARTY

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2007, 09:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
First drive observations with the SMARTY

I just swapped my Edge EZ in favor of a SMARTY and thought I would post my observations just in case anybody else was contiplating this move. The stock charger is gated at 34 psi, and the rest of my mods are in my sig.

Increase in throttle response is WOW

Charger lights about 200 RPM sooner

SOTP dyno says over all power is going to be similar but the power comes on much harder

Highway cruise EGT down maybe just a hair

WOT EGT up right at 50 degrees (will sit right on 1000 degrees and go no higher)

Exhaust smoke output is quite a bit more but totally managable with the throttle.

Overall I am happy with the swap and would recommend Bob Wagner for any of your SMARTY needs.
Old 02-20-2007, 11:34 PM

Smarty + injectors is a great combo on a 6 speed

So from your sig it looks like your going to have ez/smarty graphs soon? I suspect you'll find just what you're seeing already- a steeper torque curve that peaks sooner and roughly the same peak numbers.
Old 02-21-2007, 12:06 AM

My sig is a little pre-umptive. I don't have the inj.s installed just yet. This comparison was done with stock sticks and I removed the EZ from the truck and sold it so it won't be stacked with the SMARTY.

Oh and the comparison was with the SMARTY on #7 (Mild CaTCHER + timing)
Old 02-21-2007, 05:55 AM

Have you tried #9 yet, I like it the best.
Old 02-21-2007, 06:08 AM

Once more, hanging out with the North Texas DTR group stikes somebody's bank account again Glad you are happy with it, like ph4tty said, wait until you get the sticks. You did it the right way and had a good clutch for the power first, unlike some of us (who will remain nameless) .
I had to set mine back to stock the other day to take it to the dealer to get some oil leaks fixed. I forget what a dog that thing is stock.

~Rob
Old 02-21-2007, 06:55 AM

Yep,
You'll love the dd3's. I had the same setup on my '01 with Supermentals and it was a perfect daily driver for me.

You won't believe it with the injectors.

Jason
Old 02-21-2007, 07:38 AM

Yea I hit up #9 last night on my way to lunch, the throttle response is just crazy. The needle on my boost guage is a blur up to full boost on six gear pulls. Did you ever have your supermental/SMARTY combo dynoed?

I can't wait to get out on the highway on the way to the N. Texas DTR meet in March on #1 and see what kind of MPG I can knock down, and then install the sticks when I get there!!! WooHoo
Old 02-21-2007, 07:40 AM

Originally Posted by hotdram
Once more, hanging out with the North Texas DTR group stikes somebody's bank account again Glad you are happy with it, like ph4tty said, wait until you get the sticks. You did it the right way and had a good clutch for the power first, unlike some of us (who will remain nameless) .
I had to set mine back to stock the other day to take it to the dealer to get some oil leaks fixed. I forget what a dog that thing is stock.

~Rob
I let you take mine for a spin at the meet and you can give that clutch a run for the money and see what you think of it.
Old 02-22-2007, 12:58 AM

Just got mine today........

started out with 5......WOW.....up the road and pulled over....you know I was headed for 9.......HOLY (edit)....and this with a stock truck cept for the KN which will be swapped for a afe stage 2 right quick

drove her to work on 3 and home on 5....all I can say is that this thing is gonna cost me some money....lol in upgrades.....fass and vb on the way

noticed it surges a wee bit when using cruise control....is this normal.....and what do y'all think of stackin it with an edge?

Thanks for all the great info here...and btw...I bought the smarty here

The tree
Old 02-22-2007, 06:07 AM

I had mine stacked with the comp but I had the comp OFF just about all of the time. The injectors and Smarty were plenty for me so I sold the Edge.

Just my opinion.

but, if you want more power, it is an awesome stack!!!
Old 02-22-2007, 08:24 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by DeTree
Just got mine today.....
noticed it surges a wee bit when using cruise control....is this normal.....and what do y'all think of stackin it with an edge?
The cruise control surge is from the added fuel. The controller over corrects.

I prefer stacking with a 'fueling only' box, so you can take advantage of the Smarty timing curve.... but if you already have the Edge, go for it.

Your tranny won't like any stacking ... but you'll love it.

RJ
Old 02-22-2007, 09:12 AM
Chapter President

Originally Posted by DeTree
Just got mine today........

Thanks for all the great info here...and btw...I bought the smarty here

The tree
I found if you stick a piece of spray can tube in the vacuum tube going to the cruise control unit it will be a lot better.
Old 02-22-2007, 09:12 AM

I have heard of quite a few surging problems with auto equipped trucks running the Smarty. Us handshaker guys don't seem to have a problem with it.
Old 02-22-2007, 09:17 AM
Chapter President

I think the handshaker use electronic cuise while the auto boys have a vacuum setup.
Old 02-22-2007, 09:39 AM

Manual trannys also use Vacuum system for cruise control.... through 02 at least.... but they do have a smaller vacuum line for some reason??
At least the 01 HO I helped control the surge on did.

RJ

Quick Reply: First drive observations with the SMARTY