Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

First 12v, First mods...

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2006, 05:14 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
First 12v, First mods...

Well I know this has been hashed before, but I am going tomorrow to pick up the check from my last truck, and then go buy my new one. 97 club cab long bed 5 speed. Only 118k, bone stock. And want yalls advice on my plan...

I am going to sink about $500 into the engine right off. Gauges and the TST kit for the KDP. I am also gong to get the 3k GSK.

Should I get a 10 plate (maybe leave it in the stock position to help my clutch) or just shove the stocker forward for the time being?

Any opinions on the TST AFC Spring Kit? I don't mind some smoke.

I'm getting real antsy, (I wanna be just like Rick, so I will need bumpers soon)
Old 03-01-2006, 05:33 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by displacedtexan
Well I know this has been hashed before, but I am going tomorrow to pick up the check from my last truck, and then go buy my new one. 97 club cab long bed 5 speed. Only 118k, bone stock. And want yalls advice on my plan...

I am going to sink about $500 into the engine right off. Gauges and the TST kit for the KDP. I am also gong to get the 3k GSK.

Should I get a 10 plate (maybe leave it in the stock position to help my clutch) or just shove the stocker forward for the time being?

Any opinions on the TST AFC Spring Kit? I don't mind some smoke.

I'm getting real antsy, (I wanna be just like Rick, so I will need bumpers soon)
Somehow i knew id be one of the first to respond here

Your 215 pumped truck will have plenty of lower end once u turn that starwheel towards the front of the truck to loosen that AFC spring, No need for a spring kit. I would not personally reccomend the stock plate forward, although i have no experience with it, I have read on here that it is not really the best profile per say. A ten plate is a solid choice for a good all arounder. I personally run a 100 and yes i can tow with it, but im watchin the pyro alot. And my stock clutch dont like it.. 28K on a stocker right now with a 100 full forward will get ancy every so often. If you want smoke, just loosen ur starwheel and bump your plate forward. Take off in a gear too high as well that will usually do it

Anyways, I dont know how crazy you want to get with the mods, but if u can find a shop to time ur truck as well, bump it up to 15.5 or 16 for ur mods and enjoy.

I was lookin at the 3K kit, but i picked up the 4K kit from Mike at hotroddiesels.com instead, I can always add valve springs later as well as retainers and keepers. Ull love that kit once u get it in! no doubt about it. Consider the 4K without springs, its only 5 dollars more.....

Let me know if i can help u with anything... Congrats in advance on the new toy....

Rick
Old 03-01-2006, 05:50 PM
Banned

Thanks Rick, I figure you would find it first...

Now I am really thinking a 10, and shove it a little forward. I am wanting aroung 400rwhp... But I want to take my time getting there. Or try to. My main goal is being able to get on it sometimes, and not worry about the clutch or EGTs. Right now. Start small, bump the timing... And then roll down the slope.

The tires on it have prob 20-30k left, and I want to try to make my clutch last a year or more (35k +/-) so I can get the tires, and bumpers before I have to get a clutch. I want big power, just don't have the $$ right now.

ON EDIT: My CDs were in my old truck
Old 03-01-2006, 06:09 PM

I'd get a 10 plate...then slide it back to save the clutch! With the big pump, full forward will roast a stocker

JMHO,
Chris

BTW, Have fun with my truck
Old 03-01-2006, 06:33 PM
Banned

Thanks for the advice Chris... I really don't want to replace a clutch right off. Wanna wait till I have the money to do it right, and once.

I have been having fun with your truck. How did you do your gauges?
Old 03-01-2006, 07:17 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thanks Rick, I figure you would find it first...

Now I am really thinking a 10, and shove it a little forward. I am wanting aroung 400rwhp... But I want to take my time getting there. Or try to. My main goal is being able to get on it sometimes, and not worry about the clutch or EGTs. Right now. Start small, bump the timing... And then roll down the slope.

The tires on it have prob 20-30k left, and I want to try to make my clutch last a year or more (35k +/-) so I can get the tires, and bumpers before I have to get a clutch. I want big power, just don't have the $$ right now.

ON EDIT: My CDs were in my old truck
Hey Nick

outta luck i found this...

https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/...ad.php?t=93472

Check out Cummins2Fast's sig... 428 RWHP.... hope that sorta guides you on a way to gettin ur target HP!

Rick
Old 03-01-2006, 10:48 PM

Get your valves adjusted and the timing set.

Big Jimmy
Old 03-01-2006, 10:57 PM

I thought the 98's had the 215 pump? I'm not up to date on 12 valves even though I would love to have one. Does the 97 have the same pump, cuz I have heard that the 98 is the best year to modify. Thanks for educating a 3rd gen guy.
Old 03-02-2006, 07:10 AM
Banned

Yeah, the 97 manual trannys had the 215 pump as well
Old 03-02-2006, 07:13 AM

Thanks for the advice Chris... I really don't want to replace a clutch right off. Wanna wait till I have the money to do it right, and once.

I have been having fun with your truck. How did you do your gauges?
Which ones? Factory, A-pillar, or Steering Column?

Chris
Old 03-02-2006, 07:16 AM
Banned

The white factory ones...
Old 03-02-2006, 07:31 AM

You mean the silver factory ones...gow to www.procarparts.com

There are 2 options - Silver, like mine. Or White, like Dodgeman01 has. I went with the silver because A. I like it better, and B. The white has a harsh blue background at night. Didn't like that!

I have lots more pics if you want to see some,
Chris

BTW, the Stewart Warner gauges match a lot better than Autometer Ultra-Lites, too!
Old 03-02-2006, 07:46 AM
Banned

How hard is the install on those? I just don't wanna get black boost and pyro, and then decide I want the whites (or silver) in the dash.
Old 03-02-2006, 07:54 AM

Istall is easy...After doing it twice, I've found you can do it without taking off any needles! The hardest part is drilling the holes for the wires to go through, then plugging them in!

Chris
Old 03-02-2006, 08:00 AM
Banned

Would I have to pull the dash, or just the surround for the instrument panel?

Quick Reply: First 12v, First mods...