Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

Fire Ringed head and boosted to 84 PSI

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2005, 03:05 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by rjohnson
If you pull back on the wheel...does the front end lift off yet??

I believe CTDNut is correct. For your smaller set of twins...you may be overboosting them.

Jim Fulmer (800 hp+/-)...with a B-2 on the bottom and an HX-40, I believe, on top is at about 80 psi.

Might want to experiment with a little less testosterone?

Who did the Firering job for you?

RJ
well beleave it or not a local diesel shop was able to do it for me for 200.00 if i brought them the head....while this was being done i looked at everything else...like rods, pistons, pumps.....they all looked good for 309k miles the pistons had very few imperfections to the top of the pistons
Old 09-28-2005, 08:25 AM

Jim Fulmer (800 hp+/-)...with a B-2 on the bottom and an HX-40, I believe, on top is at about 80 psi.
RJ
I thought he was running the Big Brother??
Old 09-28-2005, 09:57 AM

Originally Posted by storx
well beleave it or not a local diesel shop was able to do it for me for 200.00 if i brought them the head....while this was being done i looked at everything else...like rods, pistons, pumps.....they all looked good for 309k miles the pistons had very few imperfections to the top of the pistons

How did you look at the rods?? My xray vision does not penetrate the side of the block...

Pumps??? What are you talking about?
Old 09-28-2005, 12:02 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by NeedMoPower
I thought he was running the Big Brother??
Yes, I think you are right.
Cool Avitar...need one for twins!

RJ
Old 09-28-2005, 01:24 PM

Originally Posted by justinp20012500
How did you look at the rods?? My xray vision does not penetrate the side of the block...

Pumps??? What are you talking about?

i took the oil pan off to check the rods for wear and fix the leaking oil pan gasket
Old 09-28-2005, 01:35 PM

Do you have fire rings or just an O-rings? When I do fire rings I cut the head and block for the ring. Most times when you cut just the head that is just an O-ring. If so watch the wire in the head, it really does not like boost pressure over 65psi. Just what I have seen from putting on my own set of twins on peoples trucks.
Old 09-28-2005, 06:05 PM

its not given me a problem yet....i had to take it out and soak it in a solvent tank because of all the carbon buildup inside it but other then that its running great...
how does carbon buildup inside the intercooler?
Old 09-28-2005, 06:34 PM

Originally Posted by pgilles
how does carbon buildup inside the intercooler?
Ya that and how did you look at them rods? You by chance drop the tranny out to lift the motor a bit, or just pull the engine out all together? Pretty hard to just remove the pan and look around, my experience has been the motor has to lift out of the cradle to get the pan off. I am just curious how you were able to get around it? That's all.
Old 09-28-2005, 11:13 PM

Originally Posted by SpicyJam
Ya that and how did you look at them rods? You by chance drop the tranny out to lift the motor a bit, or just pull the engine out all together? Pretty hard to just remove the pan and look around, my experience has been the motor has to lift out of the cradle to get the pan off. I am just curious how you were able to get around it? That's all.
When I did a pan gasket I had to unbolt both motor mounts to slightly lift the motor away from the cross member.

If I remeber right the job pays like 7 hours.
Old 09-29-2005, 05:38 AM

When I did a pan gasket I had to unbolt both motor mounts to slightly lift the motor away from the cross member.

yeah it did take some time to do even on a lift..........we unbolted both mounts then we put a stand on the front pulley then one on the tranny and raised them up and pulled the pan......this was all done on a military base in the auto hobby shop which consist of 10 bays 6 of which have lifts......
Old 09-29-2005, 05:55 AM

That is jobber, but I was hoping storx was going to answer, Storx can you please answer the other questions? Thanks.
Old 09-29-2005, 07:50 AM

Originally Posted by SpicyJam
Do you have fire rings or just an O-rings? When I do fire rings I cut the head and block for the ring. Most times when you cut just the head that is just an O-ring. If so watch the wire in the head, it really does not like boost pressure over 65psi.
It's my understanding that Firerings are a particular brand of copper rings/gaskets and have nothing to do with needing to cut both. Originally copper, but now available in steel also...
http://www.haisleymachine.com/Head%2...0&%20Studs.htm

Many "head only" jobs are holding lots of boost...but the precision of the cutting job is all important as to how well it holds, IMO.

RJ
Old 09-29-2005, 09:11 AM

yeah it did take some time to do even on a lift..........we unbolted both mounts then we put a stand on the front pulley then one on the tranny and raised them up and pulled the pan......this was all done on a military base in the auto hobby shop which consist of 10 bays 6 of which have lifts......
Bingo!!

I always put a "foot" on the fromt dampner and lift the motor a bit.
Old 09-29-2005, 09:37 AM

It's my understanding that Firerings are a particular brand of copper rings/gaskets and have nothing to do with needing to cut both. Originally copper, but now available in steel also...
http://www.haisleymachine.com/Head%2...0&%20Studs.htm

Many "head only" jobs are holding lots of boost...but the precision of the cutting job is all important as to how well it holds, IMO.

RJ
The prefered method of installing a set is to cut the grooves in the head and in the block. That is the way I do it. I would be leary of just cutting the head, I would never do it that way for any of my customers.
Old 09-29-2005, 11:04 AM

Got you!

Assume you meant to say Haisley?

So your feeling is 65 psi is max for head groove only...even though you do not recommend it at all?

RJ

Quick Reply: Fire Ringed head and boosted to 84 PSI