Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

Finally Twins Installed!! (Pics)

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2006, 09:28 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
heck, even an HX35 screams louder than this thing does... also kinda bummed about how quiet the exhaust is... don't know what I was expecting w/ twins as far as sound, but I didn't get it!

my buddy and I did exhaust on our trucks the other day... his is 3" downpipe to 4" pipe over axle to a couple feet of 5"... loud as all get-out and the turbo sounds SWEET through the exhaust

mine is 5" turbo back w/ the last couple feet 6"... can't hardly hear squat, at least not from the driver's seat

I see you're in the Dallas area... where you at? I'm in Richardson right now
Old 09-03-2006, 09:37 AM

Originally Posted by Forrest Nearing
heck, even an HX35 screams louder than this thing does... also kinda bummed about how quiet the exhaust is... don't know what I was expecting w/ twins as far as sound, but I didn't get it!

my buddy and I did exhaust on our trucks the other day... his is 3" downpipe to 4" pipe over axle to a couple feet of 5"... loud as all get-out and the turbo sounds SWEET through the exhaust

mine is 5" turbo back w/ the last couple feet 6"... can't hardly hear squat, at least not from the driver's seat

I see you're in the Dallas area... where you at? I'm in Richardson right now

I cant even hear my HX over the S400. Completely different sound. I know mine will echo off of semis or buildings. With normal cruising 8-10psi it screams plenty for my taste. As far as my exhaust 5in down to 4in exhaust to 5in crossover then 5in stacks... The sound out of those bad boys is pretty sweet too I actually went to SMU for a year and thats where the Dallas area is from. I now attend UNT so I'm in Denton still fairly close though...
Old 09-03-2006, 01:33 PM

The sound of twins is just plain sweet, IMHO. But it is VERY quiet! I had 5" straight on mine whn I had them, and the only time it got noisy was pulling a load in the "Drone zone: or about 21-2250RPM! Driving around empty was nice...quiet, but had an awesome whistle!!

I can't wait to get them on the 98
Chris
Old 09-04-2006, 04:19 AM
Banned

figured out why my truck was so quiet... pulled the cold pipe off to verify that the S400 had an MWE slot cut in the compressor housing... it does... but the top turbo still had the silencer ring in it! YOINK! it sounds about 3 bazillion times better now!

I also ground the plate a little more and modded the AFC for more rack travel
Old 09-04-2006, 09:46 AM

You're supposed to look at things like that when you put them together

Chris
Old 09-04-2006, 10:12 AM

figured out why my truck was so quiet... pulled the cold pipe off to verify that the S400 had an MWE slot cut in the compressor housing... it does... but the top turbo still had the silencer ring in it! YOINK! it sounds about 3 bazillion times better now!

I also ground the plate a little more and modded the AFC for more rack travel
I actually left my ring in not knowing what to expect as far as noise... Right now I like it just fine, but I'm sure I will pull it at some point just to see how it sounds.
Old 09-04-2006, 10:54 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by signature600
You're supposed to look at things like that when you put them together

Chris
bought the truck from another board member
Old 09-04-2006, 11:24 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by bnold
I actually left my ring in not knowing what to expect as far as noise... Right now I like it just fine, but I'm sure I will pull it at some point just to see how it sounds.
dude, go out and pull it NOW! sounds so much better!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 09-04-2006, 12:02 PM

bought the truck from another board member
Ah! Gotcha!!

Who's truck?? Got any pics yet?
Chris
Old 09-04-2006, 01:22 PM
Banned

I got it from Dusty "ddestruel". I sold my 98 quad/short auto to Jeff "thekidfan" (from TDR, etc.) and bought this one from Dusty... drove my white truck out to Dixon, CA from Dallas, TX and drove this one home! Had a couple minor issues, but Dusty put together a nice truck!

He did a lot of work to it... it's got a 6sp, transfer case, and front/rear (disk) axles out of an '02 (has CAD so I can do 2wd low! ) ARP studs, Rip's twins using a PDR 35 on top, DDP 4 injectors, 3k kit (gotta do the 4k ASAP! ), #10 plate that got ground on a bunch last night , 2" leveling kit, PSC steering box, Borgeson shaft, rebuilt the front end, etc.

I'm time limeted and it was nice to just buy a turn-key truck!

it had an old 4" system on it and I put my old 5" system on it but made a 6" tailpipe section for it. and I did the power towing mirror swap on it.

Old 09-04-2006, 04:47 PM

I figured that's who's truck you bought...it is a nice one!

Why did you get rid of the Auto truck?? Decide you missed shifting them yourself?

Chris
Old 09-04-2006, 06:18 PM
Banned

well, I do love manual trannies for sure

the auto I wanted for my white truck was coming up to ~$7k with core charges (I was going to keep the stock stuff around just in case)

I had about $11k in the truck as it sat... that right there is $18k... plus the $1k in injectors, $1k in disk brake D80, $800 in the 913 pump, $1400 in the sps66, etc. etc. etc. and none of the labor was one...

this was pretty much a turn-key deal that had a lot of good parts and a LOT of sweat equity in it, so it was a no-brainer for me
Old 09-04-2006, 06:21 PM

I can understand that...actually, that's what's facing me now I just happened to have all my old parts from the 95 to re-use/built better!

Chris
Old 09-11-2006, 03:52 AM

Bnold, what kind of EGT's are you seeing now?
Old 09-11-2006, 08:44 AM

Originally Posted by Rodram2002
Bnold, what kind of EGT's are you seeing now?
There is definitelely a significant decrease in EGTs throughout my fueling settings (TST, smarty) that does not mean however that I cannot still get her pretty warm on higher settings though. It seems as though temps will rise quickly until a good amount of boost builds (doesn't take long ) and then will settle down a bit, If I stay in the throttle it will still climb but not nearly as fast or as severe as pre-twins!!

Quick Reply: Finally Twins Installed!! (Pics)