Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

FiNaLlY....installed my "built" trans....

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2006, 12:01 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
FiNaLlY....installed my "built" trans....

I had a spare 47re that I built and had ready to go since January. Between being unbelievably busy at work and trying to get the planets to align I finally got it installed late today at work. I used some parts and a converter from Dave G along with some of his helpful tips for the valve body mods. So far I've only had the eight mile drive from work to home to see that it works (I HATE the first 200 miles!!!...makes me nervous). I can see already why so many talk up the lower stall speed. While I don't like how it "loads" at a stop, it sure is nice to take off from a stop and the truck immediately moves. You barely have to give it any pedal at all and she's up and moving the speed limit. Nice "firm" shifts, but not overly harsh, and NO harsh engagement from park to R or D. I've seen quite a few aftermarket trannys at work over the years that "hit" really hard when you put them in gear....so much so the truck would actually bang and squat a little. I'll most likely put a few miles on it (just in case, i did mention I hate the first 200 miles didn't I ) before I tow the trailers. So far I'm liking what I see and it will be nice to use the lil mods I have without worrying about the lock up clutch. I'll get a picture of the "used" convertor. It will show you what you don't want the front of your converter to look like. Shades of blue and purple around the outer ring where the lock up clutch is, is bad.
Old 08-19-2006, 02:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I guess i need to put Daves VB in mine since mine loves to bang reverse. Maybe his VB would make it a lot smoother over the transgo i have. Good to hear yours is working good. Keep us updated

Eric
Old 08-19-2006, 03:23 PM
RJF

The transgo kit sucks. It delivers firm shifts but it does not bump up line pressure. It also delivers the hard engagement already mentioned. I replaced it with a Suncoast valve body and now it engages smooth like stock and lock up holds now.
Old 08-19-2006, 11:35 PM

Im actually glad to hear that, because smooth engagement is really nice for me because im always pulling up, and backing up moving around and hooking up to trailers, and wagons. Its aggrovating when you cringe everytime it hits reverse. Drive isnt to bad, but reverse is aggrovating. Sounds like I may be swapping to a Goerend VB soon .

Eric
Old 08-20-2006, 02:23 AM
Banned

My DTT vb is like stock except that it holds now. You can feel a firm shift into the gears but it's very smooth. Not even close to harsh.